Cozumel Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PerroneFord:
Which begs a question. Have any of you, who are qualified to do so, asked to rent a tank of oxygen to carry with you??

No fair, you're challenging divers to put their money where their mouth is.:D

ScubaLaze:
If any of these horror stories happen to be Dive Palancer at the Occidental please PM me, I have never dove with them but they seem to be a good shop/operator PADI 5 star etc. I can't find much info about them...but you guys are giving me the oogies . I have 100+ dives in my log, but I am taking my girlfriend on her 1st OW trip, I'd hate for it to be ruined.
-Bry

Don't be overly concerned. The number of incidents to dives made in Cozumel is actually very small. There are many highly responsible dive operators that place customer safety as their utmost concern. Just let the DM know that your girlfriend is a new diver.

However, Cozumel is primarily deep diving. They're are few dive sites less than 60 feet deep so you need to keep a close eye on your new-diver girlfriend. She needs to understand how to use her computer and watch the NDL as well as her air supply. The operators I dive with in Cozumel require computers and will not take unqualified divers to advanced sites until they have proven to the DMs they can manage their air, NDLs and the currents. Unlike Florida where anyone with an AOW card can dive a deep wreck, the good shops in Cozumel don't place much stock in cards.

I haven't heard anything negative about Dive Palancar. Have a good trip!

Unless it is PPD...then anyone with a facsimile of a card can dive...

ScubaLaze:
If any of these horror stories happen to be Dive Palancer at the Occidental please PM me, I have never dove with them but they seem to be a good shop/operator PADI 5 star etc. I can't find much info about them...but you guys are giving me the oogies . I have 100+ dives in my log, but I am taking my girlfriend on her 1st OW trip, I'd hate for it to be ruined.
-Bry

I think you will be satisfied with Dive Palancar. And with a new diver their rather conservative bottom times should be OK. They do 4 single tank dive each day, so you could start out with just shallow dives (<60 ft) which are the 2nd and 4th dive each day to let your GF get comfortable.

When are you going? We'll be at the Allegro 4-11 Aug.

mikerault:
Unless it is PPD...then anyone with a facsimile of a card can dive...

Who is PPD? Anyone can dive in Cozumel doing a Discover Scuba.

PerroneFord:
Which begs a question. Have any of you, who are qualified to do so, asked to rent a tank of oxygen to carry with you??
I'd get a prescription from my physician - who strangley enough trusts my judgement on a lot - and own one if I could fly with it. It's always a challenge to see how much I can carry onto a boat in one trip. Got to get a pic of that next time...

If any of these horror stories happen to be Dive Palancer at the Occidental please PM me, I have never dove with them but they seem to be a good shop/operator PADI 5 star etc. I can't find much info about them...but you guys are giving me the oogies . I have 100+ dives in my log, but I am taking my girlfriend on her 1st OW trip, I'd hate for it to be ruined. -Bry
I'd say you're generally safer with them than many others. That's not a low budget Op who's cutting corners and hiring any ol' DM. They're probly pretty careful about keeping their record clean. Never heard anything bad about them.

Your GF is in good shape with you as a buddy. Tell the DM she's new, or - hire a private one for the first few dives. A private DM for a newbie is money well spent.

PerroneFord:

Depends where you are. At home on club dives the leader typically either brings O2 or arranges for the operator to have it on board.

At a resort area I would expect the operator to have it on board. The question is "will the amount be sufficient."

Know anybody in Coz that would rent you an O2 kit for the week?

PerroneFord:

beyond the "NOT FAIR" post, this would require every diver to not only be rescue certified but DAN (or equiv) O2 trained as well... i'd say most are lucky the get the regulator on the right-hand side...

here in the US dive boats must meet specific USCG regulations for carrying passengers, but elsewhere? i know boats make you sign this long big @ss waiver every time you go diving with them, maybe as divers we should come up with our OWN waiver of what WE expect from the boat. -

ie: - a captain that knows how to run the boat based on the conditions
- anchor diving V drift diving (i can tell you horror stories)
- 1st aid gear appropriate for the conditions
- enough O2 to last the duration of the expected trip for 2 peoples etc etc
- crew available for the type of dive...
- drift diving in WPB where the DM in the water has to be the first one out to help get folks back on the boat...

but i'm sure we'd have the same luck adding these clauses:
- guaranteed 100+ foot viz
- whale sharks, manatees, pygmy seahorses, mantas and mermaids seen on every dive

I don't understand. If I am concerned about there being adequate oxygen on board, I am more than happy to try to bring my own. I'm not interested in "everybody", I am interested in me.

Perhaps that wasn't clear.

The DMs in Cozumel probably get bent more than the tourtists because they dive more. They have an incentive to carry O2 on the boats. To ensure your safety and a good experience, do some research. I've only witnessed one case of the bends and that was in Cozumel.

We were diving with a once-a-year diver who had been diving for 20 years with a total of about 200 dives. He had made 2 dives on the "beginner" boat and I think he deepest was 73 feet at Santa Rosa. He then made a night dive at Paradise (40 feet if I recall) and surfaced complaining of being dizzy and disoriented. Of course, they had 02 for him. Not only that, they called the shop manager who met us at the dock and drove him straight to Dr. Piccolo and the chamber. They manager stayed with him for all of his 3 chamber rides and he continued to stay at the villa associated with this shop for free until he was well enough to travel home.

The thing I noticed about this diver on the one dive was that after he completed his safety stop at 15 feet, he just zoomed to the surface. He was an OW diver and never continued his training. I think if he had stayed abreast of the current practices, he would have been reinforced on the dangers of a rapid ascent from 15 feet to the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom