Cozumel Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one time I requested O2 for a diver in Coz, the bottle didn't work. We offloaded him at a southern resort, I walked him to the ambulance, and then we went diving again - no O2 aboard. That was Casa del Mar's dive shop; hated their boats with tanks in the deck floor anyway - never again.

CAPNVINNY:
We dove a deep wall dive and after slowly working our way back up I mentioned the ndl left on my computer,he waived me off,as we ran out of time my computer started beeping a warning,I motioned I was headed up to which he signaled ok and stayed down with the new divers another 10 minutes.Needless to say diving with them the rest of the trip wasn't an option. Note to self,don't depend on an operations DM to watch your back blindly.

As mentioned here, you have to dive your own dive, regardless of whether you're with Jacques Cousteau, a DM or anybody else.

Think of hand signals as statements, not questions. If I'm running out of air, NDL, happy feelings, or whatever, and signal that I'm going up, the thumb is a courtesy not a question.

I can't even begin to count the number of threads here from people who ran out of air or NDL because they were diving with someone who didn't want to stop right then.

Although a lot of DMs try to keep an eye on the air supply of their customers, it's really not their responsibility.

Terry

DandyDon:
I think it is all too common, in Coz and every other non-US locale south of the US. There is not a bigoted bone in my body, but I do recognize the macho tendencies of many males south of the Rio Grande, and without US Coast Guard, courts, insurances companies, the traveling diver needs to be even more careful about self-diving controls - not trust-me diving. Yet so many newbies go south for their first experiences, yielding to leadership pressure, etc.

What about Key Largo where diving without a guide or dive master is the norm ?

ronrosa:
What about Key Largo where diving without a guide or dive master is the norm ?
Yes? What about Key Largo. The best place for a newbie - that's where I went while I was awaiting my permanent C-card. But with Ops that do provide a DM to lead. Some do, some don't, and my fav - Scuba-Do, will provide an Inst at a charge.

There, tho, one is also somewhat more protected by US CG, etc.

I think the problem isn't if a guide is provided or not. Its when a guide is provided and then is not diving safely. Newbies and or resort divers might be following blindly or at least not paying as much attention as they would say in the Keys on their own. Some people think they are paying a guide to watch the gauges, be safe, etc.

That being said regardless of there being a guide present a certified diver is responsible for themselves. I would leave a reckless guide and make my own decisions in a heartbeat but before i was certified (resort) I might not have in fact I didn't. My first dive was a blind resort dive in Coz on a cruise. It peaked my interest and now I am a safe certified diver.

I'd rather be left alone to guide myself with my buddy anyday. Most complaints on here are about on the fly buddies and guides. My perma-buddy and i do well together.

Miranda

I think the problem isn't if a guide is provided or not. Its when a guide is provided and then is not diving safely. Newbies and or resort divers might be following blindly or at least not paying as much attention as they would say in the Keys on their own. Some people think they are paying a guide to watch the gauges, be safe, etc.

That being said regardless of there being a guide present a certified diver is responsible for themselves. I would leave a reckless guide and make my own decisions in a heartbeat but before i was certified (resort) I might not have in fact I didn't. My first dive was a blind resort dive in Coz on a cruise. It peaked my interest and now I am a safe certified diver.

I'd rather be left alone to guide myself with my buddy anyday. Most complaints on here are about on the fly buddies and guides. My perma-buddy and i do well together.

Miranda

I agree with both of your posts. :lol2: You'll be amazed at how much more you learn along those lines as you continue to log dives. I continue to be. :wink:

DandyDon:
The one time I requested O2 for a diver in Coz, the bottle didn't work.

Meaning that the appropriate question for the operator, before departing, is not "do you have oxygen on board," but rather "when was the last time you inspected the oxygen on board to ensure that it is in good, working condition?"

Which begs a question. Have any of you, who are qualified to do so, asked to rent a tank of oxygen to carry with you??

If any of these horror stories happen to be Dive Palancer at the Occidental please PM me, I have never dove with them but they seem to be a good shop/operator PADI 5 star etc. I can't find much info about them...but you guys are giving me the oogies . I have 100+ dives in my log, but I am taking my girlfriend on her 1st OW trip, I'd hate for it to be ruined.
-Bry

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom