Cozumel in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there any reason not to go in August? How insufferable is the humidity?
I go in August to cool off. I like late August for my birthday, but have enjoyed it being less crowded I think - I guess because school has resumed for many families.

August is their rainy season.
I don't recall any rain problems in August, at least none significant enough to remember. I think I had some storm issues changing planes in Houston on the way down last time or before.

We prefer to go to Cozumel in December because the weather is always so nice
If you like winter travel, closed airports in the mainland US, then the risk of getting blown out by northers in Coz.

I think I'll start buying Trip Insurance
I always take it mostly for the medical insurance, and there are other benefits, but I don't think you can get paid for blown out days once you make it there.

August weather will ultimately depend on Tropical Storms that can happen there, altho very rare. One year I should have cancelled and filed insurance claims when H.Dean was headed towards the island, but I went thinking surely it'd veer off - like I know more than the experts. I ended up leaving early, and trip insurance would have paid extra expenses except I didn't have enough to bother - just a damaged trip. Dean did veer off just in time, but it was the safe thing to do, and the town was shutting down & boarding up.

August weather will ultimately depend on Tropical Storms that can happen there, altho very rare.
The conditions which spawn tropical storms are there throughout the tropics whether or not they get organized into a vortex. The rainy season in the tropics coincides with hurricane season. That doesn't mean that every day is a rainout, but conditions are more favorable for rain during those months than at other times.

Couple of things to note:

1. It is hurricane season
2. I would be ready for mosquitos if out @ dusk

Every year for more than twenty years we have stayed on the island in August. Yes, it's warm and humid, but less so near the water. Most places have A/C. You quickly acclimate. The water is warmer. Yes, it's hurricane season, but the odds of you being on the island during one are very slim (knock on wood). It can rain in the afternoon on some days but rain is welcome and cools the air. My recommendation? Come on down!

Rain does not cancel dives.

It could be perfectly sunny in town and rainy out on the reefs or vice versa. A squall can also come out of nowhere and last for 30 minutes or so and then be done.

Rain or even thunderstorms in the "forecast" are nothing to get worried about.

Christi, I agree with your general sentiment about rain in the forecast in Cozumel. But - correct me if I'm wrong - I distinctly remember a trip, I think it was October 2015, when several straight days rain did result in port closure and missed dives. The water was smooth as glass, not a lick of wind, just rain. After a few days of decreasing rainfall and increasing sun (with the port remaining closed), I remember some dive op owners marching over to the port captain's headquarters. They opened the port later that afternoon, but his contention was that with heavy rains, small boats without covers can get swamped too easily (? I'm not a boater so maybe this is ridiculous). I believe it was Steve from 3Ps who relayed that to us.

Christi, I agree with your general sentiment about rain in the forecast in Cozumel. But - correct me if I'm wrong - I distinctly remember a trip, I think it was October 2015, when several straight days rain did result in port closure and missed dives. The water was smooth as glass, not a lick of wind, just rain. After a few days of decreasing rainfall and increasing sun (with the port remaining closed), I remember some dive op owners marching over to the port captain's headquarters. They opened the port later that afternoon, but his contention was that with heavy rains, small boats without covers can get swamped too easily (? I'm not a boater so maybe this is ridiculous). I believe it was Steve from 3Ps who relayed that to us.

Yes - that was actually part of a larger tropical weather system - and we did protest when it cleared up and he still hadn't opened the port. Those days were also an exception to the rule - they were torrential rains which affected visibility for the Captains to the point that boating wasn't safe. So that was also different than our typical rain showers

I always take it mostly for the medical insurance, and there are other benefits, but I don't think you can get paid for blown out days once you make it there.

There are other benefits as you state. As for getting paid for blown out days, you can with Dive Assure. Not for the hotel since you are "using" it but if you have pre-paid diving that is non-refundable, they will pay out for cancelled diving due to weather. Or if you medically cannot dive. There are some dive shops whose fine print says no refunds under any circumstances, even with weather issues. That is where that policy's coverage would come through. You don't have to pay extra for that either. There are some dive operations that give significant discounts for pre-payment and booking more than X days before arrival or start date of diving and some of their fine print also says no refunds.

You will have to weigh the cost/benefit and analyze whether it is worth it for the specific trip and situation. Credit card coverage does cover some of this stuff but not all circumstances that are specific to diving.

If you only want medical coverage, you can get excellent coverage with up to $1M coverage and no deductible from Geo Blue Traveler that covers dental and also pre-existing conditions. To Mexico for 10 days up to this amount when I was 30 was only something under $25 bucks. I want to say it was even under $20, maybe $18-19 bucks. I have health insurance already at home but the coverage for international destinations would not be covered 100%.

Lots more on this topic to talk about but I will stop here. :)

As for getting paid for blown out days, you can with Dive Assure. Not for the hotel since you are "using" it but if you have pre-paid diving that is non-refundable, they will pay out for cancelled diving due to weather. Or if you medically cannot dive. There are some dive shops whose fine print says no refunds under any circumstances, even with weather issues. That is where that policy's coverage would come through. You don't have to pay extra for that either. There are some dive operations that give significant discounts for pre-payment and booking more than X days before arrival or start date of diving and some of their fine print also says no refunds.
I wonder how well they'd pay on a liveaboard? I had one ruined once when I forgot to get a flu shot, got the flu, got over it, then relapsed. I can only hope I didn't expose everyone onboard. There were no medical facilities on any of the islands we visited, nor many options for getting off, and I wasn't going to request medevac for that. I had another liveaboard ruined by a north front that was still pretty mean when it got to the Exumas, leaving us hiding in port.

If you only want medical coverage, you can get excellent coverage with up to $1M coverage and no deductible from Geo Blue Traveler that covers dental and also pre-existing conditions. To Mexico for 10 days up to this amount when I was 30 was only something under $25 bucks. I want to say it was even under $20, maybe $18-19 bucks. I have health insurance already at home but the coverage for international destinations would not be covered 100%.
I checked their site for $100,000 Medical Limit, $100 deductible and the rate at my age was $81.92 with six month preexisting limit. I got same limits plus comprehensive trip insurance from TravelSafe.com for $83. I never was impressed by Blue Cross; still not.

I've thought about looking for medical only coverage from a company I hope I could trust, but there's not enough money involved for me to look hard.

Back
Top Bottom