Cozumel = "hell on earth?!"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd choose a Mexican operator, not an American one though. American operators, no matter where they are are too bossy and operate from their own legal vantage point too much for my taste. They have every right, of course, I am just saying I avoid American operators in general, in any country. That goes for Hawaii, too.
Last time I went with the über-polite british ones :p

"Some more tea, sir? Want some milk or sugar with that?"

Oh, brother.
Like being with a pirate all day...

Usually only applies if you choose to dive with one of the larger, resort based dive ops. The smaller dive ops tend to allow you to dive based on your computer and air consumption, and also give you a longer SI (often at the beach). They're often not back earlier enough to load up the boat again for an afternoon trip.

Not saying you can't do 3 or 4 tanks with a smaller op, just that you shouldn't book with them expecting to be able to do that daily unless you have a group chartering the boat and setting your own schedule.

I didn't find this to be a problem at my DS on Coz. If I let them know I wanted to do 3 or 4 dives a day thye put me on an early morning boat and a late afternoon boat. It paid to let them know up front what I wanted to do.

After reading this entire thread, that is exactly what I was thinking as well! It seems there are two types of people in the Cozumel forum: those who are madly in love with Cozumel and would never want to dive anywhere else, and those who come here to tell the Cozumel lovers that it really isn't that great, and that they only think it's great because they haven't been diving in exotic locales around the world (Chickdiver comes to mind). I find it interesting that people are so passionate about Cozumel...it kind of makes me want to go and see for myself! When I was in Cancun last November, the dive op I went with recommended that I not bother with Cozumel, as it isn't nearly what it was before Wilma.

Your Cancun dive op just wanted you to spend your money with him, it had nothing to do with Wilma. Ether that or he hasn't seen it for himself and is just passing on bad press.

Quite simply Cozumel is consistantly rated among the top dive destinations in the world. I don't recall Cancun being on any of them. Spring breakers go to Cancun, divers go to Cozumel.

Yes, we long time visiters are passionate about Coz. It's more than a dive destination to us, It's our vacation home and we have a lot invested in it.

Just read this tread, people aren't just talking about diving, they are talking about the people, the food, the history, the entire package. The world class diving is just the exclaimation point to all of it.

I'd choose a Mexican operator, not an American one though. American operators, no matter where they are are too bossy and operate from their own legal vantage point too much for my taste. They have every right, of course, I am just saying I avoid American operators in general, in any country. That goes for Hawaii, too.

Whatever :shakehead: And you base that on what? You've actually dealt with every American owned dive operator everywhere? But yes, I operate under Mexican law and if following the local law means I am "operating from my own legal vantage point" well then so be it. No customer is worth losing my business because they don't like the law and the fact that I follow it.

BTW...last time I checked, Hawaii was actually part of the United States...and aren't you an American?

Your Cancun dive op just wanted you to spend your money with him, it had nothing to do with Wilma. Ether that or he hasn't seen it for himself and is just passing on bad press.

Quite simply Cozumel is consistantly rated among the top dive destinations in the world. I don't recall Cancun being on any of them. Spring breakers go to Cancun, divers go to Cozumel.

Yes, we long time visiters are passionate about Coz. It's more than a dive destination to us, It's our vacation home and we have a lot invested in it.

Just read this tread, people aren't just talking about diving, they are talking about the people, the food, the history, the entire package. The world class diving is just the exclaimation point to all of it.

I should have clarified that this particular dive operator offered Cozumel dives as well as Cancun dives. He had nothing to gain by telling me Cozumel isn't worth the travel from Cancun, but his honest opinion is that it isn't worth it since Wilma. This could have had something to do with the fact that I am a new diver and he probably knew I would be plenty impressed with the diving in Cancun. So he recommended that I do my ocean diving in Cancun and to do a cenote dive, which I did, and have no regrets about.

I have no doubts that the diving in Cozumel probably far surpasses Cancun even after Wilma. If the diving wasn't good, there wouldn't be as many Coz fanatics as there are. I actually don't begrudge the Coz Fanatics at all...sorry if it came across that way. I more begrudge people like Chickdiver who come in here to tell you that you are all basically stupid for thinking the diving is good there. I was just making an observation that I have never seen such strong feelings (both ways) about any other dive destination.

You've actually dealt with every American owned dive operator everywhere?

No...but in general even though I am American and love America, I don't like American operators as much because they barrage me with medical waivers, rules, insurance regulations and all sorts of nanny practices. Generally, by comparison, they run their charters like school field trips and I don't want to pay for that.

I prefer the South Pacific Islander operators, the Mexican operators, etc.....I wouldn't take it personally. For every American like me, you have ten more that will flock to an American operator.

I just don't like rules. And they have way more rules.

And you base that on what?

....Based on if I fly to another country it's because I want to experience a different culture, it's fun. I'm not traveling to find more Americans, generally.

I belong to a Japanese dive club here, Breeze. They are not bossy and they don't lecture me. Eight years in the Caribbean, I prefered the British or the French or the Dutch operators. A little more "live and let live"....but, yes, I do realize Hawaii is in America.

lol, when
Chickdiver
speaks, I listen. I might not agree, but I listen to anything she has to say. She's on my short list of American chicks.:D

I have to say, I might not always be the "safest" diver but I have very little tolerance with reckless driving, no matter how cheap the cost. We could argue all day about deep air, solo diving, etc and I will still insist the ride in car with a bad driver is way more dangerous. I don't put up with it.

I lived in Peru for about a year, and taxis were how I got around. The first few rides scared me half to death until I learned that it was mostly because I didn't understand their rules (or customs, more accurately; I don't think that there were very many traffic laws in Peru in the 70's ;^)), which were very different. I have never seen a traffic accident on Cozumel that did not involve a gringo driver.

Well, there are no cruise ships and no direct jumbo jet flights, which adds to the ambiance.
I never saw any cattle boats in the years I lived there.
Plus, we dived off sail boats and there were very few rules. I would rather dive in places where there are not set "programs" that I must be on.

But Coz is nice. I sure wouldn't fly from Europe though. Texas? Absolutely.

You are entitled to your opinion and of course you need to go with your own flow... however, I believe it is best to choose your Dive OP on the service provided and your diving experience with them, NOT whether they are Mexican or American. It is possible to have poor or bossy service from a Mexican operator, and/or Great service from an American Operator, or visa versa. Stating that "American operators, no matter where they are...." is unfair in my opinion. SS

Uh...
I like American airlines better than Mexican airlines
Is it okay to say that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom