Cozumel = "hell on earth?!"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi - since you offer such an experienced and voice of reason I'm sincerely interested - if Coz is in the top two, what's the other one? And where is your favorite place?

See you in May, personally I can't wait, despite some of the naysayers in this thread. And yes there will be many other places to explore around the world after that. Enjoy where you are at the amount you are there, it's as much about attitude as anything. :)

For the Caribbean, Turks and Caicos has some beautiful diving, although not nearly the variety we have here. It's definitely worth visiting though...although MUCH more expensive than Cozumel.

BVI was the least impressive IMO.

My favorite place in the world so far isn't even a dive destination...but it's a toss up between Interlakin or Zermatt, Switzerland :)

OK, I am going to jump in here!

I'm a been-there-done-that diver. I have over 2,000 logged dives, been around the World twice, and dived nearly all the famous locations you've read about. Yet, In the past eighteen years, we've returned to Cozumel at least once a year. Yes, for wreck diving, Truk is better than Cozumel. Yes, for pelagics, Coco is better. Yes, for healthy reefs, Papua New Guinea is better...I could go on. But, for convenience, cost, ease of diving, all around comfort, you really can't beat Cozumel!

There! I feel better.

To paraphase: "When I die, just let me go to Cozumel..."

I doubt thats all there is to it, given the fact that the op I used in Cancun even arranged Cozumel dives, which I went on. Sure, the corals are huge. The sea life didnt impress me tho. Unless you call divers sea life that is.. those there where plenty of...

Thats all there is to it :shakehead:

[removed profile reference] maybe you just have a wicked sense of humor.:)

tim

I'm a been-there-done-that diver. I have over 2,000 logged dives, been around the World twice, and dived nearly all the famous locations you've read about. Yet, In the past eighteen years, we've returned to Cozumel at least once a year. Yes, for wreck diving, Truk is better than Cozumel. Yes, for pelagics, Coco is better. Yes, for healthy reefs, Papua New Guinea is better...I could go on. But, for convenience, cost, ease of diving, all around comfort, you really can't beat Cozumel!

There! I feel better.

Tho I've not had the vast experience that you have, I still second your thought. We go every year and love it there. When I die I'll see you there...:14:

More (apologies to Tanya Tucker)

When I die I may not go to heaven
I don't know if they let divers in
If they don't just let me go to Cozumel, Boy!
Coz' is as close as I've been.

Rea Sea couldn't hold my attention
Barrier Reef couldn't sing my song
If tomorrow finds me busted flat in San Miguel
I won't care, 'cause at least I'll know I'm home.

When I die I may not go to heaven
I don't know if they let divers in
If they don't just let me go to Cozumel, Boy!
Coz' is as close as I've been.

It seems there are two types of people in the Cozumel forum: those who are madly in love with Cozumel and would never want to dive anywhere else, and those who come here to tell the Cozumel lovers that it really isn't that great, and that they only think it's great because they haven't been diving in exotic locales around the world.

Although I don't fit well into ANY particular category for much of ANYTHING, I certainly don't fit at all into either of those. I guess I'll start a third... those who travel the world extensively in search of great diving (21+ countries, well over 1000 dives) and are still madly in love with Cozumel.

People ask me all the time where my favorite destination is. I can't list just one, but Cozumel is in the top 5 with Raja Ampat, Galapagos, Socorro, and Papua New Guinea (in no particular order). Each one has its pros and cons, but there in no place on earth that has the vibrant color sponges that Cozumel has. There are few places where the locals are more friendly and where I can walk around the streets at night and not have to be worried about being mugged. And there are few places on earth that I can get to by tomorrow for under $1000.

Darn, now I gotta book another ticket! I've just sold myself another trip to Cozumel.

Jim, I'm bringing my guitar along on my next trip to SCC!! You've got to sing that for us!!

There! I feel better.

That does of course color my opinion some... Convenience and "low cost" is quite absent when traveling from europe to Mexico.. Its easilly 2500 USD for a week of diving, plus the minor issue of the 18hr+ travel..

BVI was the least impressive IMO.

Well, there are no cruise ships and no direct jumbo jet flights, which adds to the ambiance.
I never saw any cattle boats in the years I lived there.
Plus, we dived off sail boats and there were very few rules. I would rather dive in places where there are not set "programs" that I must be on.

But Coz is nice. I sure wouldn't fly from Europe though. Texas? Absolutely.

I'd choose a Mexican operator, not an American one though. American operators, no matter where they are are too bossy and operate from their own legal vantage point too much for my taste. They have every right, of course, I am just saying I avoid American operators in general, in any country. That goes for Hawaii, too.

Well, there are no cruise ships and no direct jumbo jet flights, which adds to the ambiance.
I never saw any cattle boats in the years I lived there.
Plus, we dived off sail boats and there were very few rules. I would rather dive in places where there are not set "programs" that I must be on.

But Coz is nice. I sure wouldn't fly from Europe though. Texas? Absolutely.

No cruise ships??? There were in December 2005...alot actually. They come right into Roadtown. The Queen Mary was there the week we were there as well as numerous others.

We chartered the Cuan Law (great boat BTW) for our group and set our own dives as well...we had 12 divers in our group of 18. I saw plenty of cattle boats though at the Rhone. We saw extensive coral bleaching, vis averaged MAYBE 40 feet, and marine life was severely lacking...I didn't even take 200 UW photos over the course of the week. My topside photos numbered more than UW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom