Cozumel = "hell on earth?!"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally Posted by scubawife
Usually only applies if you choose to dive with one of the larger, resort based dive ops. The smaller dive ops tend to allow you to dive based on your computer and air consumption, and also give you a longer SI (often at the beach). They're often not back earlier enough to load up the boat again for an afternoon trip.

Not saying you can't do 3 or 4 tanks with a smaller op, just that you shouldn't book with them expecting to be able to do that daily unless you have a group chartering the boat and setting your own schedule.

I didn't find this to be a problem at my DS on Coz. If I let them know I wanted to do 3 or 4 dives a day thye put me on an early morning boat and a late afternoon boat. It paid to let them know up front what I wanted to do.

Sure, if you are with a larger operator who has multiple boats scheduled like this. What I said was that if you are using a small operator (small meaning one or two boat shop), which would be more then half the dive ops on the island, it's harder to get afternoon dives since they don't run on a tight schedule or have a set daily afternoon departure.

Sure, if you are with a larger operator who has multiple boats scheduled like this. What I said was that if you are using a small operator (small meaning one or two boat shop), which would be more then half the dive ops on the island, it's harder to get afternoon dives since they don't run on a tight schedule or have a set daily afternoon departure.

True, smaller ops won't make an afternoon run generally, unless they have a pretty full boat reserved in advance, they simply can't afford to.

Some very small dive "ops", (I'd call them Dive guide operations really), don't even own their own boats, they rent them as needed so scheduling is very important to their business.

Wow what a great thread.....I laughed, I cried, I got my feelings hurt, I got infuriated......now Im sleepy after all that, time for bed!! I agree with most who have posted...maybe there is better diving somewhere else, but not for the price!! And in Coz, I have dove with French, British, Mexican, and American DM. I dont care where they are from, if it was important to be totally authentic from the region before I dove with them, I would be searching for a long time to find a 100% Mayan DM. I think some people just enjoy stirring the pot..... Especially that one about American Dive Ops....took Christi few minutes longer than I expected to respond! I wanted to, but had not reached the end of this incredible thread yet! The one thing I see out of this, is that: We are all very passionate about our total diving experiences. Many things flavor our view of it all, some good, some bad. But it is good to see how strongly we all feel about this sport.
With that, good night to all.
PS>.....counting days until my own return to "hell".

to HELL for a week tomorrow. Looking forward to it,too. I'm sure the cool, tropical drinks will help with the heat:D

Uh...
I like American airlines better than Mexican airlines
Is it okay to say that?

Southwest is a well managed US carrier that immediately comes to mind.....

Malaysian and Singapore....now there's some eye appealing carriers...for men anyway. :D

Oh good grief, now we are comparing airlines. I agree with Gdog- now it's time for bed, and it is only 11:45 in the morning here!:popcorn: Woody

Southwest is a well managed US carrier that immediately comes to mind.....

Malaysian and Singapore....now there's some eye appealing carriers...for men anyway. :D

I like Alaska Airlines to Mexico but they don't go to Coz...do they?

I wasn't really trying to stir the pot folks. I was making the point that for me, it seems American operators have more legal-issue oriented operations and that rains on my parade in certain ways. Sorry if it was offensive.

Alaska as far as I know doesn't fly to anywhere in the Yucatan. Just to the west coast of Mexico. The furthest west airline I can find with direct flights is Frontier Airlines here in Denver, CO.

Alaska as far as I know doesn't fly to anywhere in the Yucatan. Just to the west coast of Mexico. The furthest west airline I can find with direct flights is Frontier Airlines here in Denver, CO.

Alaska has 3 flights a day to Cancun, direct from LAX, SFO, SEA. Also I believe LAX to Mexico City.

Well, we're heading back to "hell" again this Wednesday. Oh, the pain!!! We hate it so much we spend a day or two twice a year looking at property to acquire and retire there. I'd so much rather spend my financial resources on a nice place close to an exit of some pothole-ridden highway in New Jersey or New York! (NOT!!!)

The more “experienced” we become to life, the less we need to provide our contentment. Warmth (both climate and people), water, beauty and quiet are essential to my longevity. Can't find that in the fore mentioned northeast location.

When you travel, take the time to experience the local culture and respect it. Most visitors to the US are far more tolerant than we could ever hope to be.

Back
Top Bottom