Cozumel = "hell on earth?!"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone ever driven around the island? Stopped on the east side for a drink? Taken an ATV trip to the north point? Watched the fireflies on the way back? Beached combed the eastern shore? Go to the Cedral (sp) that the dive site was named after? Sat at the swim up bar at Paradisus? Done the night life? Cozumel has more than just diving, a lot more, you just have to get of your duff and do it! It even has Cenote dive! If you tell me to go to Hell I have been!

I dive around the world and have dove a few places in the Caribbean. So far Cozumel is my favorite diving in the Caribbean. I also like the Island, Mayan ruins, Restaurants etc. I rate the diving about an "A" for the Caribbean and overall about a "C" in comparison to places like Raja Ampat/Papua or Palau....I'll go back to Cozumel someday.

People are really radical about Coz.

After reading this entire thread, that is exactly what I was thinking as well! It seems there are two types of people in the Cozumel forum: those who are madly in love with Cozumel and would never want to dive anywhere else, and those who come here to tell the Cozumel lovers that it really isn't that great, and that they only think it's great because they haven't been diving in exotic locales around the world (Chickdiver comes to mind). I find it interesting that people are so passionate about Cozumel...it kind of makes me want to go and see for myself! When I was in Cancun last November, the dive op I went with recommended that I not bother with Cozumel, as it isn't nearly what it was before Wilma.

....When I was in Cancun last November, the dive op I went with recommended that I not bother with Cozumel, as it isn't nearly what it was before Wilma.

The dive opps in Cancun having been using a similar line for at least 20 years. Its all about keeping business in their shop and nothing about a honest comparison. The recovery on Cozumel from Wilma is great with the exception of a few shallow reefs.

tim

yes, I tip cabs about 20%. (unless the windows are stuck shut and there is no air and they are blasting metallica)

People are really radical about Coz.

If you think it is the crem de la crem dive destination---that's great considering flights are quite easy.

I have to say, I might not always be the "safest" diver but I have very little tolerance with reckless driving, no matter how cheap the cost. We could argue all day about deep air, solo diving, etc and I will still insist the ride in car with a bad driver is way more dangerous. I don't put up with it.
20%? A good standard tip.

When I was in Cancun last November, the dive op I went with recommended that I not bother with Cozumel, as it isn't nearly what it was before Wilma.

Yep, heard the same thing from our favorite dive op on the Yucatan. "Boats with 50 divers, long boat rides, destroyed reefs." We went anyway. Our Cozumel dive op boats would only hold a maximum of 16 divers, 12 on some of their boats. We enjoyed the 60 to 90 minute boat rides. And we had never seen the reefs before Wilma yet we thoroughly enjoyed the diving.

Funny, Wilma hit the Yucatan too and yet they said their diving was as good as ever.

The dive opps in Cancun having been using a similar line for at least 20 years. Its all about keeping business in their shop and nothing about a honest comparison. The recovery on Cozumel from Wilma is great with the exception of a few shallow reefs.

tim
I doubt thats all there is to it, given the fact that the op I used in Cancun even arranged Cozumel dives, which I went on. Sure, the corals are huge. The sea life didnt impress me tho. Unless you call divers sea life that is.. those there where plenty of...

After reading this entire thread, that is exactly what I was thinking as well! It seems there are two types of people in the Cozumel forum: those who are madly in love with Cozumel and would never want to dive anywhere else, and those who come here to tell the Cozumel lovers that it really isn't that great, and that they only think it's great because they haven't been diving in exotic locales around the world (Chickdiver comes to mind).

Um...then you obviously didn't read it very carefully. Even I agreed that there's better diving in the world, but I have yet to find the overall variety and value that Cozumel diving offers.

Many of us have extensive dive resumes including exotic locales. The point is that you can't compare Caribbean diving to places like Fiji, Palau, Indonesia, etc. It's apples to oranges, but it's also a more practical "regular" dive destination for people who live in North America because it's so accessible and really affordable when you compare it to places like Cayman, BVI, T & C, etc.

But when you compare Cozumel to other Caribbean locales, it's right up there in the top two in my opinion...that's why I ended up here and not somewhere else in the Caribbean or Hawaii (I did live there for 6 months though, back in the late 90's). And making statements like Chickdiver did, that Cozumel diving is just "little blobs of coral" is just a false statement...period. And that makes her lose credibility with me.

Alot of the people you see on this forum are Coz fanatics, yes...but this is just their regular diving in between bigger, more exotic trips...they can afford to go on multiple trips a year, here and elsewhere. I have ALOT of divers that dive with us several times a year AND go on liveaboards, and other exotic locations....so before you say the people on this forum haven't been anywhere else, think twice. They most likely have a more impressive dive resume than you do.

tzeilstra:
When I was in Cancun last November, the dive op I went with recommended that I not bother with Cozumel, as it isn't nearly what it was before Wilma.

That's just comical to me and quite a self defeating statement from your Cancun dive op. If Cozumel isn't what it was before Wilma, then Cancun definitely isn't either...they got hit just as hard as we did. Add to that, Cancun was never even comparable to Cozumel before. AS for 25 divers on the boats here...yeh, you can find that. Here comes that VARIETY word again...the great thing about Cozumel is that you can also find small boats with a maximum of 6 divers and DM's that will take you off the beaten path and who are skilled at avoiding other dive groups.

Cancun has never been thought of as a true dive destination and never will be. Diving in Cancun is an afterthought which is why you see very, very few dive ops over there...and the ones you do find, are large resort style operations catering mostly to divers that just don't know any better.

I don't care if Cozumel isn't everyone's favorite place. I love it (otherwise I wouldn't be here) but it's also not my very favorite place in the world. But again, for the overall variety, proximity and easy access to the US, value and quality of life, I'll take it :D

With that said, I also don't think it's becoming to anyone to come on here and get up on their high presumptuous horse and bash people or snub their nose up at people who love it here (or to bash people that aren't in love with the place - it goes both ways), whether or not they've been diving elsewhere in the world or not.

Carry-on :D

I doubt thats all there is to it, given the fact that the op I used in Cancun even arranged Cozumel dives, which I went on. Sure, the corals are huge. The sea life didnt impress me tho. Unless you call divers sea life that is.. those there where plenty of...

Then you were with the wrong dive op.

But when you compare Cozumel to other Caribbean locales, it's right up there in the top two in my opinion

I don't care if Cozumel isn't everyone's favorite place. I love it (otherwise I wouldn't be here) but it's also not my very favorite place in the world.

Christi - since you offer such an experienced and voice of reason I'm sincerely interested - if Coz is in the top two, what's the other one? And where is your favorite place?

See you in May, personally I can't wait, despite some of the naysayers in this thread. And yes there will be many other places to explore around the world after that. Enjoy where you are at the moment you are there, it's as much about attitude as anything. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom