COZUMEL & CENOTES - help with where to stay!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here was a post I made a few months ago:

"Chac Mool and Kukulkan were boring and the stirred up halocline makes much of the dive almost a waste. It looks like a field of construction debris rubble."

Some of my thought depend on how you are getting from Germany to Cozumel, and returning to Germany? I suppose you are arriving at Cancun? Getting from Cancun airport to Cozumel by bus, van or cab plus ferry is easy, or there is an air shuttle. Later on the mainland, you may want a rental car. EasyWay has great rates including comprehensive insurance and free drop off at Cancun airport. Just make sure you get good directions to their PDC office in case you miss their agent sent to the ferry dock to meet you, and good directions to their Cancun office.

Ok, guys, I have now reserved the Blue Angel from 5.11 - 10.11.
I got a fab package for hotel, incl food and diving for 500,61 USD.
Couldn't do better than that really, so that made my mind up.
Of course all the posts in SB made that clear!
I clearly hit really low season price wise.

I will now have a think about how to deal with my Cenotes diving wishes separately!
What I didn't add into my thoughts was lugging around wet dive gear that day...
Never a great thing!

Thanks for your help!
Nice deal on a nice place. :thumb: I saw that special on FB after I had already booked elsewhere for last August and was sad that I couldn't take advantage of it. You can confuse the discussion with those numbers, tho; I suppose you are booked at the BA from 5 to 10 of November.
I have to be in Tulum by early evening on 10.11.
I would rather make my move from Cozumel to Tulum than doing an overnight in PDC. PDC is only 64 Km, 40 miles, 49 minutes at legal speeds from Tulum. I'd rather move to Tulum, get it over with, and not worry about where my bags are while I am diving. The good Cenote diving is not far from Tulum, altho I'll let others comment on which.

Thanks DandyDon...us Europeans write our dates differently!!
Months go in the middle, not at the beginning!

Yes, was so surprised by that amazing deal at BA and am very happy about it!
If Tulum is that close, maybe I will just shoot down there, dump my stuff and take a guide from there.
Sounds like the best solution.

Are Gran Cenote / Dos Ojos close to Tulum?
Reading Scubaboard forums, seems like they are the most popular.
Am open for any suggestions!

Thanks DandyDon...us Europeans write our dates differently!!
Months go in the middle, not at the beginning!

Yes, was so surprised by that amazing deal at BA and am very happy about it!
If Tulum is that close, maybe I will just shoot down there, dump my stuff and take a guide from there.
Sounds like the best solution.

Are Gran Cenote / Dos Ojos close to Tulum?
Reading Scubaboard forums, seems like they are the most popular.
Am open for any suggestions!
I know you do, and I caught that - but in discussing dates with us Americans who write dates with numbers differently, it can get confusing. Safe to spell out the month. :wink:

Yeah, it's a quick drive from PDC to Tulum, then on to most diveable Cenotes - if you are renting a car anyway. If not renting a car, then other ideas suggested might work better. I would get my own car, but that may be a Texan mentality.

Google Maps shows Great Cenote/Grand Cenote to be 5 Km inland from Tulum, and Dos Ojos/Two Eye Cenote to be 21 Km - about a quarter of the way back between PDC & Tulum then inland, but I'd still be tempted to set up camp in my Tulum hotel and get it over with. Views on that will vary, and I am the kind of guy who will buy a 12 cup coffee maker the first day in Mexico, then take it with me on every hotel change before giving it to someone on the last day, so my ideas of setting up hotel camp are somewhat exaggerated.

I've done it tho: A few nights on Coz, then two more in PDC, then two more in Holbox, moving my coffee pot & all every time. I just like coffee on demand and the coffee maker was only $12 USD. :crafty:

I am the kind of guy who will buy a 12 cup coffee maker the first day in Mexico, then take it with me on every hotel change before giving it to someone on the last day, so my ideas of setting up hotel camp are somewhat exaggerated. :crafty:

DandyDon... did you ever think of opening a Starbucks franchise? You could be well suited!

I dont have time for Holbox this trip sadly. But I think I will probably get down to Tulum and the organise a guide to take me that afternoon.
Any recommendations for a cenotes guide in Tulum?

DandyDon... did you ever think of opening a Starbucks franchise? You could be well suited!

I dont have time for Holbox this trip sadly. But I think I will probably get down to Tulum and the organise a guide to take me that afternoon.
No, I tried their brewed coffee when I was in Washington state 16 years ago, long before it got here, and didn't care for it. The cheapest on the shelf works for me, but I think I make it weaker than most.

The ruins at Tulum are very pretty and you can hire a guide at the gate there to explain it all better. Coba ruins are not far from there, but you'd need a whole day to do both I think. Here is some basic info: Mayan Ruins Mexico: Yucatan Peninsula Mayan Ruins, Mexico

Google maps will probably cover your needs ok, but here is a map you can click to zoom in high definition: http://www.locogringo.com/lgunet/images/maps/roads/masterQR.png

I don't have much info on Cenote guides, but others have already suggested their favorites.

Not in Tulum, but go back to post #10 in this thread, and you have who I consider to be "The Man" for such/any cenote trips.
I've done multiple cenote dives with Dennis & co., including 2ea day-trips from Coz (1 with my non-diving wife). He always makes it easy, has great knowledge, and like good taco's... Have fun!

Ok, guys, I have now reserved the Blue Angel from 5.11 - 10.11.
I got a fab package for hotel, incl food and diving for 500,61 USD.
Couldn't do better than that really, so that made my mind up.
Of course all the posts in SB made that clear!
I clearly hit really low season price wise.

I will now have a think about how to deal with my Cenotes diving wishes separately!
What I didn't add into my thoughts was lugging around wet dive gear that day...
Never a great thing!

Thanks for your help!

wow. thats an awsome deal. i'll have to keep them in mind for the future. read good things about them.

blue life is another option for cenote diving. frank there is one of the best around but he doesn't do tour, just training. but they have others who do the dive tours. great reviews on tripadvisor.
Blue Life Reviews - Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya Attractions - TripAdvisor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom