Cozumel Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My advice is stay away from the tourist area. Cozumel is a great island get out walk all over and enjoy the community and people. Walk along 30th ave and enjoy tacos at El Picque in the evening or visit the ruins in the afternoon which are really quite nice.Don't worry about buying lunch just stop into one of the little cantina's on the island and you will be able to enjoy botanos which are little plates of food free of charge as long as you buy drinks.My favorite is El Fish on 10th street.
Don't be afraid to walk way back into town and see the soccer fields or walk into the little shops. Also I like to visit the supermarkets and see the different products and baked goods. Enjoy yourself and have a great time.I also find the cemetary at the end of 5th street very interesting and people really find it interesting when I take them there.

Rent a scooter and go around the whole island, stop at Coco Nuts for nachos and a margarita, say hi to the mean parrot there, lots of remote beaches on the other side too. taking a scooter around the island will take up most of the day if you take your time. My non diver friends like to take a submarine ride too. Atlantis Submarines, Cozumel Mexico

The Museum. The Planetarium. Rent a car or hire a taxi for the day to drive around the island, bar hop Rastas, Chien Rio, Coconuts, Mescellitos, or just spend some time on the beach on the "wild side" (Caribbean side/ windward of the island). San Gervasio archeological site. Local stuff, music & crafts at the park by the Municipal buildings on Sunday night. Afternoon hanging out and snorkeling at Playa Corona (no admission day beach restaurant). Several tequila tours on the island. Visit Cedral, the 100+ year old village in the middle of the island, Mayan ruins, tequila tours, horseback riding & atv jungle tours all from here. Punta Sur ecological park.

second vote for a shore dive at Blue Angel ... day or night.

Dave at Aldora tells me they have a spectacular shore dive at Villa Aldora (excellent choice for a Dive Op by the way).

Restaurants: .;..short list ;-) ...

'Ohana - EVERYTHING is good. Including authentic Chicago style deep dish pizza and amazing lobster rolls.
Guido's - excellent italian
The Pub has very good food
La Candela - fish with crispy veggies
Rock'n Java - extensive menu, with healthy options
Rock'n Java Noodle bar - Thai noodles, excellent
Casa Denis - one of the oldest restaurants on the island, Mexican food
Le Chef
El Moro - not easy to find, but worth it.
La Perlita - Lionfish, Lionfish, Lionfish!
Blue Angel Resort restaurant - just keeps getting better every year
Buccanos at Night - open only Friday & Saturday night - Cozumel's most exquisite dining experience.
Rolandi's - Italian
Woody's - just off the plaza behind 7-11. very good food and live music 7 nights a week.
Kinta - excellent

Shore dive is in front of Blue Angel resort (what used to be called Paradise reef) and may still be called that.
Paradise Reef is a mile or two south of Blue Angel just past the cruise ship docks. What's left of Villablanca Reef after Gilbert and Wilma is what is there between Blue Angel and Villablanca Hotel. It's always been called that AFAIK, and I've been going to Cozumel since 1978.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies very helpful. What about things to beside eat and dive?

1. Eat at a stand on the street
2. Chankanaab EcoPark is on the south end of island 10-15 min from town (smaller version of parks mentioned in #5)
3. Mall across from International Pier
4. Ferry to Playa del Carmen (about 35 minutes) for shopping and eating
5. Tours to Xcaret or Xel-ha (waterparks) on the mainland
6. Tiki Tok Restaurant Bar: 2nd floor beach on the balcony. Went during a weeknight. In the bar, lively music (some
mixes of American hip hop and salsa) played. My wife and I danced with the locals.
7. My personal favorite: the Pirate Dinner Cruise: leaves from same pier as ferry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom