Coz trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

espantoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all, here is my trip report for Cozumel. This was our first trip to Coz, and it was well worth it!

We went last week, Jan 9-14, and stayed at Carib Blue where we ran into ggun and divediva (with spouses). The hotel and the room were good for divers. Nothing fancy, just a king size bed, small cable TV, and simple bathroom. The room had a phone, and every floor had a water cooler. The only real complaint that I can think of was the sporatic plumbing. We went from having only cold water, then low pressure water, than none at all. In their defense the hotel was working on the entire plumbing system, and upon calling the desk staff responded immediately and fixed the problem. The best part about Caribe Blue though was the view. Every room had a perfect ocean view, with balconies. The balconies were equipped with drying racks for your gear.

Okay, to the best part-the diving! We used Blue Angel, which is located right next to the hotel which was really convienient. Blue Angel has several boats and DM's, and it appeared that the boats were arranged according to experience (however they will move you around once they feel you out). We were able to vote on our dive sites every day, and DM's Matt and Jorge were great. Bottom times were limited to 60 minutes, however I dont think a little over would not have been a problem. The only snags that I experienced were that on a few second dives, air tanks were not turned on prior to splashing in. Jorge always reminded everyone to check their equipment before going in, (every one should anyway) and the problems were detected. My rental reg on one day had an annoying positive flow that shortned my bottom time a little, but other than that the rental regs and BCD's are brand new and good quality.

The shallower reefs showed some obvious hurricane damage, with most of the fans gone and sand covering much of the coral heads. The reefs still looked good, I can't imagine how good they looked before the storm. The deeper dives, like Chun Chacaab and Columbia Deep, were in great shape.

Critters-big lobsters, morays, parrotfish, butterflyfish, blue tangs, and two nurse sharks. We saw a HUGE pod of dolphins (ask ggun about them, he was in the water when they showed up). I got some decent pics with a rental digital camera courtesy of PhotoCoz, give 'em a call and the camera will be delivered to your hotel. The best pics were of a giant anenome, a BIG lobster we saw out in the open, and a cool pic I got of two cowfish up close. I will try to post those pics a little later.

Gordon and Carol gave us a taxi tour of the island at the end of the week, and showed us places we would have never seen on the east side of the island.
We will definetly go back to Coz, I see why the place is so addictive. I encourage anyone to go, you could not have asked for nicer people. The damage to the island from Wilma is still apparent but rebuilding is making progress. Many shops and restraunts are open and the food is wonderful.

Thats all for now, I will try to add some pics later.

Thanks for the post.

Thanks for the report. Looking forward to the picts.

Willie

Nice report espantoon. Did you happen to do the shore dive there? I understand there's a little section of patch reef just south of the hotel. I was wondering how Wilma treated it.
And do you happen to know how the hotel managers feel about solo diving that shore dive?

Can you tell me the water temperature and what type of dive suit you wore?

thx, -R

Water temps varied from around 80F near the surface and high 70's at depth. I wore a 3/2mm full and was okay, but I dont get cold very easy. On the deeper dives, however, I could feel a little chill. I you get cold easy, you may want to wear a core warmer w/your 3mm or just add a hood. My wife wound up adding a shorty over her 3mm full later in the week. I would suggest a fleece or sweatshirt during surface intervals, many of us were pulling our suits back over our torsos to block the wind while we were under way.

The shoreline off Caribe Blue was hit pretty hard. I did not shore dive it, but snorkled it one afternoon to see if it was worth diving. Not much to see, except a little yellow stingray that appears to live near the seawall. Cruise ship "pod people" (as my wife calls them) were doing a snorkel excursion and were killing any kind of vis. I dont think that it may be worth suiting up for to dive, but you might be okay if no snorklers are there. If you do, I have been told the best suggestion is to go south against the current for the first part of your tank, and turn around and let the current take you back for the last part. Use the construction pipes and scaffolds visible under water as your landmark.

Some people did shore dive while I was there, and I did talk to one guy who filled me in on the conditions (pretty much the same as I saw snorkling). The shop did not frown on solo shore diving, but they did caution solo divers on the currents and safety. I would suggest using "the rule of thirds" (1/3 out, 1/3 back, 1/3 emergency air/gas) and a signaling device of some kind if diving solo due to the currents.

Enjoy!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom