Coz residents. any word on Wilma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unfortunately, i fear the real killer here is not the top wind speed but rather the unusual duration of cat 3 and above winds with the accompanying rain and surge. in the abstract, gilbert's top wind speed may have been higher but wilma may well leave the island worse off than gilbert did. of course, it's all speculation and the wait for real information from COZ is driving me nuts. i can't even begin to imagine what the poor souls caught in this mess must be feeling now with their whole existence on the line. may they find the strength to overcome.

ggunn:
One little bit of good news is that the northeast quadrant of the eyewall, where the worst of the worst winds usually are, appears to have missed Cozumel by a narrow margin. It is that part of Emily that took out the Paradise Cafe and the southern resorts.

Of course, that is bad news for Cancun, which looks like it will take it on the chin.

The eye is bigger than the entire island. There is no doubt that the eyewall went over the entire island., and will go over it again shortly. The wind will be pushing water from the channel up into the east side of Coz as it heads toward Cancun and Playa. Those beaches could end up in Coz!
I am more worried about storm surge and wave action, than the winds.:new_puppy

Divedoggie:
The eye is bigger than the entire island. There is no doubt that the eyewall went over the entire island., and will go over it again shortly. The wind will be pushing water from the channel up into the east side of Coz as it heads toward Cancun and Playa. Those beaches could end up in Coz!
I am more worried about storm surge and wave action, than the winds.:new_puppy

True, but the northern eyewall, where the winds are from the east, and the southern eyewall, where the winds are from the west, both missed the island. The storm surge and the wave action are wind driven, where the winds are the worst and directly onshore, so are they. I know, New Orleans, but that was a special case where the storm surge filled up a reservoir (Lake Ponchartrain), which overflowed into the city.

ggunn:
True, but the northern eyewall, where the winds are from the east, and the southern eyewall, where the winds are from the west, both missed the island. The storm surge and the wave action are wind driven, where the winds are the worst and directly onshore, so are they. I know, New Orleans, but that was a special case where the storm surge filled up a reservoir (Lake Ponchartrain), which overflowed into the city.

You are right. I saw the best images yet, just now on the weather channel. There are still winds pushing water from Northwest to Southeast, and, I'm sure wreaking havoc. But, I think that you may have identified a glimmer of hope!
Puerto Morelos, and on up to Cancun look to be in the bullseye. Maroma may not be ranked #1 on traval channels great hotels and great beaches after this.

I'm still worried....and this is a good sounding board.....
The leading edge of the storm is moving at a 45 degree angle to the left, making the right, and most dangerous part of the storm due North, so yes, it barely missed San Miguel. However, we are looking at the lesser of two evils. The eyewall still hit the island. I'm sure that they have been, and will be, pelted with extreme winds.
The weather channel just identified 12 to 15 foot storm surge with huge wave action on top of that. The average elevation of Coz is 10 feet.
As Gordon mentioned before, the 5 mph speed of the storm is just brutal as well, as torrential rains will add to the waterlogged area, and delay aid and clean up.

Divedoggie:
I'm still worried....

no kidding. sorry, just could not resist. it just seems almost academic to discuss if they got hammered by this or that part of the eyewall when this monster is sticking around in the area for two days. however, i certainly don't mind hanging on to that glimmer of hope...

Well, things should be nice and sunny on Cozumel at the moment...

Roak

roakey:
Well, things should be nice and sunny on Cozumel at the moment...

Roak

What's the latest word from Coz? They keep mentioning Cancun on the news but not enough word on Coz. Anyone heard what the damage was and if Christi and guests are OK? Any hotel damage etc?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom