Coz residents. any word on Wilma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi:
We will be affected, how severe remains to be seen.

Please say a prayer or two or ten for us.
Christi, you (and all the people of Cozumel) will be in my thoughts and prayers. Stay safe!

Brian Gilpin:
My wife and I are are one of two couples left at the Cozumel Palace as all the other guests were evacuated to the mainland. Feels pretty strange to be here by ourselves.The staff is taking really good care of us.

The weather is variable with periods of heavy down pours interspersed with calm periods.I feel better being here than being on the mainland for some reason.We have a morning flight out providing the airport is not closed first. Otherwise we will be riding this out with the staff in the laundry room.

Had a great week diving BTW

Hi, you guys. Hope you can get out safely when you're scheduled. I'm due to arrive at that hotel on the 5th of Nov and Blue XT on the 6th. At this point I don't know what is going on, or what to expect. My thoughts are with Christi and the other residents of Coz.. Am I being realistic to think I'll still be able to go to Coz in a few weeks?

Stay safe.

Christi:
I am so glad you were able to get out Jay!

Craig and Jane weren't so lucky and it doesn't look good for them tomorrow either.

ACtually, I was on the phone with Continental earlier, and there is a strong possibility of the flights out being cancelled tomorrow...depending on overnight developments and how much rain we get tonight. If the airport is flooded...flights won't be able to get out.

I got your e-mail and we'll worry about the other thing when this is over!

Christi, get to high ground. Where would that be on Coz? Anyway, your safety is important so don't go down with the ship. If they say to evacuate make sure you get out on time. Listen, I need you for Nov diving :) Seriously, all you guys stay safe.

Any chance at all this will slide by to the east and just brush Coz?

It looks like Ambergris Caye is suffering through rough seas and tropical storm force winds but Cozumel is even more in the line of fire if Wilma holds to it's predicted path.
Good luck to all down there and stay safe.
I am coming down 10/30 to 11/06 and will be there as long as USAIR will take me.

I just realized that this topic is for Cozumel residents. Sorry, I won't post on this string again.

Thanks everyone for well wishes and prayers. Cozumel is busy boarding up. There are lines at supermarkets and hardware stores. I was lucky enough to be first in line at the hardware store this morning and the line was out the door as I was leaving.

Cozumel has learned from past hurricanes as well as from the disasters in the U.S. It's being taken very seriously. The mood is still calm and resigned, but the priority is being prepared. I don't think anyone thinks we will just breeze through this.

It's about 12:30pm on Thursday and we've seen very little rain so far. There is a stiff breeze and the ocean is sending spray along the waterfront.

Breakfast was hard to find and as a last resort, my neighbor and I hit McDonald's and stuffed ourselves. It is among the few waterfront businesses that are relying on taped windows instead of boards. That may have worked during Emily but they may have some problems with Wilma.

Again, thank you everyone for wishing well for Cozumel. We'll try to keep you updated as long as possible, then catch you on the flip side.

Jay, sorry we didn't get a chance to connect... you'll just have to come back!

Sally
Barefoot in Cozumel

Sally, do you thinkthis means my 10:00 appointment tomorrow is cancelled ? haha

Stay safe hon and along with Sally, thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

I have 4 stranded "tourists" here with me...and they are the best hurricane buddies one could ask for!

We have food, water, animals, we're boarded up and have the AC blasting to cool the house down before we lose power.

Please keep the prayers coming that Wilma weakens and/or changes course!

Hahaha! Yes, I actually thought about calling you to cancel your massage tomorrow, but then I figured you just MIGHT be a bit busy and would probably figure it out anyway.

I have a nice stash of dark chocolate so I can handle anything. We'll pick up again next week.

Stay safe,

Sally
Barefoot in Cozumel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom