Coz residents. any word on Wilma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to the latest NOAA satellite loop it looks like COZ is still getting hammered by cat 2/3 winds and will remain so for the better part of today. this thing is just not moving and the winds are weakening ever so slowly. COZ is still incredibly close to the eye, maybe 30 miles. i am afraid it is far from over for our friends. it is certainly a challenge to remain an optimist in light of reports like "the most destructive hurricane ever, years to recover...". it looks like damage will be extensive. i just hope they are safe.

docmartin:
According to the latest NOAA satellite loop it looks like COZ is still getting hammered by cat 2/3 winds and will remain so for the better part of today. this thing is just not moving and the winds are weakening ever so slowly. COZ is still incredibly close to the eye, maybe 30 miles. i am afraid it is far from over for our friends. it is certainly a challenge to remain an optimist in light of reports like "the most destructive hurricane ever, years to recover...". it looks like damage will be extensive. i just hope they are safe.

That does not sound good. I'm now wondering if it's time to think about canceling my Nov 5th trip to Coz, or leave it as is? Any news on the Palace Hotel?

Anyone heard from Christi and guests? Wonder if her boats made it undamaged?

pilot fish:
That does not sound good. I'm now wondering if it's time to think about canceling my Nov 5th trip to Coz, or leave it as is? Any news on the Palace Hotel?

I think that it's premature to be worried about stuff like that. Let's get through the next few days and see where things stand.

ggunn:
I think that it's premature to be worried about stuff like that. Let's get through the next few days and see where things stand.

I think you're right, but it is on my mind. I feel like going anyway, no matter what but I wonder if that's wise?yup, wait a few days.

Hope all are safe there. Still no direct word?

pilot fish:
I think you're right, but it is on my mind. I feel like going anyway, no matter what but I wonder if that's wise?yup, wait a few days.

Hope all are safe there. Still no direct word?

Not since yesterday afternoon, when one of us (I forget whom, sorry) had a very brief cellphone conversation with Christi. If you didn't see that post, she and a few other folks are holed up in her house stuffing towels into cracks and crevices, trying to keep wind-driven water out without much success. No one there had slept in 48 hours at that point, and that was nearly 24 hours ago. It sounded pretty grim.

Damage from this storm will far surpass any that resulted from Emily, and will probably even be worse than that from Gilbert in 1988. I was on Cozumel before and after Gilbert, and I can tell you that there is still evidence of that storm all over Cozumel. At least there was before now.

The island will recover, but how long it takes remains a big unknown for now. The hotel zone was blasted by direct onshore Cat 3 or Cat 4 winds for many hours, and are still getting them at Cat 1 or Cat 2 strength now. Places we know and love are damaged or just plain gone.

And there is another storm gathering just south of Puerto Rico.

ggunn:
Not since yesterday afternoon, when one of us (I forget whom, sorry) had a very brief cellphone conversation with Christi. If you didn't see that post, she and a few other folks are holed up in her house stuffing towels into cracks and crevices, trying to keep wind-driven water out without much success. No one there had slept in 48 hours at that point, and that was nearly 24 hours ago. It sounded pretty grim.

Damage from this storm will far surpass any that resulted from Emily, and will probably even be worse than that from Gilbert in 1988. I was on Cozumel before and after Gilbert, and I can tell you that there is still evidence of that storm all over Cozumel. At least there was before now.

The island will recover, but how long it takes remains a big unknown for now. The hotel zone was blasted by direct onshore Cat 3 or Cat 4 winds for many hours, and are still getting them at Cat 1 or Cat 2 strength now. Places we know and love are damaged or just plain gone.

And there is another storm gathering just south of Puerto Rico.

uh,oh, saw that damn thing forming. This is really unbelievable! I think the hotels will not be habitable for a month or so, from your grim description? I can't imagine what Christi and guests are going through now? Her fleet of boats might be damged too? Damn!!!!

I dove with Christi 10 days after Emily. It was some of the best diving in Cozumel I'd ever done. Visibility was down (about 70 ft.), but the marine life was everywhere. Crabs, lobsters, turtles, sharks, eels, seahorses, all out in plain view in broad daylight. So, assuming that your accomodations are open (a big assumption) you should be okay. Cozumel's economy depends exclusively on tourism, so you can bet the government and residents will do yoeman's work to get things up and running.

As for her boats, she successfully secured them before Emily and it worked out just fine, so I would expect the same result this time.

viejo:
As for [Christi's] boats, she successfully secured them before Emily and it worked out just fine, so I would expect the same result this time.

I hope you are right. Emily never gave Cozumel any wind from the west or southwest, and there was relatively little wave action or storm surge on the western shoreline. Wilma, OTOH, has blasted the western shoreline with wind, waves, and surge for many hours, and it continues. I try to remain optimistic, but I have grave concerns.

Grave concerns indeed. This storm looks very bad. I'm afraid I fear the worst. If anyone has any news please share it here. Most news sources seem likely to focus on the Keys and Cancun. Suggestions for other sources are most welcome, as I'm sure are additional prayers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom