Coz ATM Warning-again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Last week I reported multiple ATM Charges from the HSBC ATM at the Mega Store, that was when no cash was given! I also reported that the Scotia Bank ATM seemed to be OK, it paid out and did not post multiple withdrawals.

Well, on Monday I used the Scotia Bank ATM and while asking for 3,000 pesos, got only 1,400 out in cash. I then checked my Wells Fargo debit account on line and found that there was 3 3000 peso withdrawals and a "credit" of 1400 pesos.

I don't know if someone has hacked their systems, of if those banks are just trying to rip people off but I would suggest that anyone using an ATM in Cozumel be very careful.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Last week I reported multiple ATM Charges from the HSBC ATM at the Mega Store, that was when no cash was given! I also reported that the Scotia Bank ATM seemed to be OK, it paid out and did not post multiple withdrawals.

Well, on Monday I used the Scotia Bank ATM and while asking for 3,000 pesos, got only 1,400 out in cash. I then checked my Wells Fargo debit account on line and found that there was 3 3000 peso withdrawals and a "credit" of 1400 pesos.

I don't know if someone has hacked their systems, of if those banks are just trying to rip people off but I would suggest that anyone using an ATM in Cozumel be very careful.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

HSBC and Scotia are both huge banks and I'd seriously doubt they'd intentionally ripoff their customers. It does sound like their security has been compromised though.

Will be down there early next month. Thanks for the heads up!
Tom

Thnx.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
Thanks Dave as always you are a wealth of info.........lol
Thats why I carry cash

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

If your account was opened in the US, file a Reg E complaint. Directions should be on their website or on the reverse of your statement. I am not sure if Reg E covers international issues but it is worth a shot. Good luck.

Thanks Dave. What do you suggest instead of using the ATM's? I bring $US, but like to use pesos.
If we can't trust the ATM's, and there are so few money changers around, may have to resort to using the airport exchange. Rate would be less, but what can one do?

Is there a Chase bank in Coz?

So Dave, have you used your Wells Fargo ATM lately?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom