Coz ATM Warning-again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may want to keep an eye on your bank notifications for fees in the coming months. BoA is selling back to Santander it's holdings in Santander Mexico, so without that relationship, they may start charging you like all the other banks do.

Santander pays B. of A. $2.5 bln for Mexico stake - MarketWatch

I spoke to them today - even tho they are selling that part off they still have the relationship e: fees. They also have it with other banks in Germany, France... This is from their site:
Bank of America is a member of the Global ATM Alliance. The Global ATM Alliance is a group of financial institutions that have created the world's first international ATM Alliance. Use your debit card or ATM card within the Global ATM Alliance in the countries shown with no ATM operator fees or Non-Bank of America International ATM Fee. International Transaction Fees of 1% for converting your currency may apply. Some members may have locations in countries other than the country listed in the coverage area. Only ATMs in the country listed are considered part of the Alliance.
Bank Name Coverage Area Bank of America United States Barclays United Kingdom BNP Paribas France BNL D'Italia Italy Deutsche Bank Germany
Scotia Bank Canada and the Caribbean. Caribbean countries include: Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Jamaica, Netherlands Antilles (St Maarten), St Kitts-Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & The Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands Westpac Bank Australia and New Zealand In addition, Bank of America has arranged for you to use your debit or ATM cards in China at China Construction Bank ATMs (China Construction Bank ATMs in Hong Kong are not included) and in Mexico at Banco Santander with no ATM Operator Fees or Non-Bank of America International ATM fee. International Transaction Fee of 1% for converting your currency may apply.

Update: Alert ATM failure.
Used the ATM with HSBC yesterday at Cedrui market, took all my information, started to process the transaction, charge is 27 pesos, but no money was given and no receipt.
very frustrating.

:hmmm: Did you alert your bank?

Update: Alert ATM failure.
Used the ATM with HSBC yesterday at Cedrui market, took all my information, started to process the transaction, charge is 27 pesos, but no money was given and no receipt.
very frustrating.

oh man that sucks! Good luck! Jean in MO

Great info, I am sorry that this happening. We will be there in 2 wks, I guess just to be safe we will bring US $ and try and find a good exchange rate. I hope this gets straightened out.

A few years ago, I used my ATM card once (and only once) during a trip to Cozumel. No one would accept my AMEX traveler's cheques, so I took a cash advance from a teller at a bank just off the main plaza in San Miguel. (I used a different credit card for other all of my other resort charges.)

When I got back home, I found numerous unauthorized debits through my ATM card from a variety of businesses in Mexico.

If you think it's safe doing business with banks in Mexico -- THINK AGAIN!

(Of course, recent history has shown us that you're not safe using banks in the USA, either, especially for mortgages!)

Great info, I am sorry that this happening. We will be there in 2 wks, I guess just to be safe we will bring US $ and try and find a good exchange rate. I hope this gets straightened out.
I set up a separate debit card for the trip so I could take money out of it without exposing my main account, but I was dismayed at Wells Fargo charges plus poor exchange rate. Today, Google states 1 US dollar = 12.3431 Mexican pesos but WF allows 11.35 peso (MXN) = 1.00 dollar (USD) after a 3% commission if I understand all that correctly. :mad:

Most of my expenses are booked in USD anyway, but for spending money - I'll just use USD or convert cash there.

:hmmm: Did you alert your bank?
I contacted my bank and they will take care of it for me.
Funny they told me to try another ATM, but I had already done that and was denied.
Oh well, we just used the money changer for now.
Chedrui will take dollars, but they have to use a calculator to do all the conversions and it took so long, that I just used pesos.

I contacted my bank and they will take care of it for me.
Funny they told me to try another ATM, but I had already done that and was denied.
Oh well, we just used the money changer for now.
Chedrui will take dollars, but they have to use a calculator to do all the conversions and it took so long, that I just used pesos.
Just use your card at the register for purchases.

The wife is there now and having no end of ATM trouble. Can't seem to get cash out of any of them. In September, Ched declined one card and had to use another. This time different cards and different machines without any luck. I guess if she doesnt have better luck on the way home from Kinta, she may try a bank in person. (and they all have a zero balance or cash in the account and travel notes on all.) Weird...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom