Couple questions on a pony bottle for bail out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can I argue air is a better gas to have in your main tank...? :)

Hey DaleC,

Please do!

Also, I love air!! I love the oxygen it has, I like the fact that nitrogen tempers the oxygen (Earth would be fire ball without nitrogen in our air). Air has CO2. Plants love CO2. I love eating plants. I love maple trees, Douglas fir trees, and cedar trees.

Air is good even in SCUBA tanks! Modified air we use in SCUBA tanks is good too.

markm

PS: I am not being sarcastic. Breathing air underwater is a fun.

... Question 2 - Since a pony tank is not used regularly, how do you store/cycle it? I intend to simply do a wet-breathe test before each dive.

Wash regset after use. Hose off pony. Crack valve to blow out excess water. Reassemble, purge secondary. Close valve. Purge secondary. Put it somewhere safe.

Get a transfill whip. You can top it off whenever you like for free.

Gotta love the Jersey Boys! ...

You and 'E really need to dive N&S Jersey. Most welcome either place...

Hey Lowviz,

In your post #43 you said: "Get a transfill whip."

I thought about that, until I discovered the cost---OUCH!

They are expensive. Unless you know how to get one cheaply?

markm

I have a complete list of parts for a flexible configuration whip. DIN or yoke or CGA or whatever to whatever. I'll PM you with it when I get to my desktop. Prices are probably outdated, but should be close.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

... "Get a transfill whip."

I thought about that, until I discovered the cost---OUCH!

They are expensive. Unless you know how to get one cheaply? ...

No use to you, but around here: Ocean Wreck Divers

Treat it as a 'no-rush' item. Keep your eyes open and ask around. The one I use is yoke-DIN. I'm all DIN, but with inserts I manage just fine. Mine cost less than the price of a new SPG.

Put the cash that you are willing to spend aside so you can jump on a good deal. Good deals happen: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...-gear-sale-little-everything.html#post7152566 I'ts a game, have fun with it...

Not really given that you need to have the old 1st stages already....everytime I looked into creating a transfill from new parts, the cost came close to the actual sale cost....

....so I said "screw it" bought a compressor. Its a very expensive transwhip....:wink:

ROFL! Yeah, that works too. :D

For the record, I dive Air in my Bail out (pony if you must) it's a 40cf and yes it has a 100% 1st and second stage fitted. indeed both my 40's do for when they are filled for deco

My reasoning for this is two fold.

1. I could be on a 2 day trip with mixes from 28% - 40% with the 40's obviously being for the last dives of each day. Air in the Bail out works fine for all.

2. Air also works fine if you get a down current - now thats obviously more a risk where I dive than others here. But easy to switch.

For me getting free fills it doesn't matter what mix I use so it's not through cheapness. But as Jim correctly states I always carry my bailout and always breath it on the last dive of the day for practice - No point having it if you don't use it/ practice with it

No use to you, but around here: Ocean Wreck Divers

Wow, now that is sweet. I just don't get why we don't have a similar thing for the DelMarVA. FWIW, it seems like NJ more than its fair share of rabid divers. Why is that? Viz can't be that much better up your way.....what gives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom