Couple questions on a pony bottle for bail out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well here she is, mostly complete. Just need a hose retainer band. I assume there's no issue with orienting the first stage sideways as shown? It was the best I could come up with, streamlining the hose with the tank and orienting the pressure gauge properly.

Do you guys store your pony with the reg always attached or separate them?

Photo_Jun_28_12_13_17_AM.jpg

Photo_Jun_28_12_12_58_AM.jpg

Edit: Just found a pair of my old boot blouse straps from the military and they seem to work pretty well! They're velcro and about 2 inches in width.
41UKtIzgu0L._SX342_.jpg

Photo_Jun_28_7_28_40_PM.jpg

Last edited:
Are the velcro bands elastic? If not get something elastic.

Also i would run the elastic bands under the handle not over it... otherwise you pull on the bands when you use the handle.

Can you put the pressure gage on the other side of the regulator? It might be a tiny bit harder to read, but it won't get bashed as much.

Also, If you can find some vinyl rubing that will just barely fit over the outside of the gage.... cut a piece a about an inch long and slip it over, allow the edge of the hose to stick out past the face of the gage. you will be able to read easily, but it will provide protection..

Also, i would rotate the lower hose clamp so the clamp which may have a sharp edge will not be close to your body

Are the velcro bands elastic? If not get something elastic.

Also i would run the elastic bands under the handle not over it... otherwise you pull on the bands when you use the handle.

Can you put the pressure gage on the other side of the regulator? It might be a tiny bit harder to read, but it won't get bashed as much.

Also, If you can find some vinyl rubing that will just barely fit over the outside of the gage.... cut a piece a about an inch long and slip it over, allow the edge of the hose to stick out past the face of the gage. you will be able to read easily, but it will provide protection..

Also, i would rotate the lower hose clamp so the clamp which may have a sharp edge will not be close to your body

Thanks for all of the tips!

Yes they are elastic.

I will likely end up routing them under. I had seen some pictures with them over so I just whipped them on real quick to see how they fit.

There is an HP port on the other side but it's fairly difficult to read it at that angle. (everywhere it said this reg has 1 HP port)

Good idea with gauge protection. I'll see if I can dig something up as a protective sleeve.

I ended up putting some heat shrink tubing (same stuff the clamp is wrapped in) over the sharp piece that sticks out. I guess it sure wouldn't hurt to turn it away from the body though!

Update:
I don't like turning the hose clamp around because that puts the sharp edge right next to my LP house, and I want to keep the screw part of the clamp over the knot in the harness. It keeps the metal unwrapped underside of the hose clamp off the tank. Once I find a sleeve to slip over the screw portion I'll turn it 90 degrees to the outside of the tank.

I decided to spin the 1st stage 180 degrees and remount the pressure gauge. It's visible, yet tucked underneath and less likely to get caught or banged up. It also keeps the first stage equal length with the valve handle, rather than sticking out the other side. The only minor downfall is the LP hose where it attaches to the first stage is at a slightly increased angle so it doesn't sit flush as nicely with the tank as it did previously.

Photo_Jun_28_8_31_20_PM.jpg

Photo_Jun_28_8_31_33_PM.jpg

Last edited:
I put a 40 inch yellow hose on my pony regulator to make it easier to differentiate from my primary regulator. I also put a right angle swivel connector from the regulator since the first stage is so close to my face. It seems to be more comfortable when slinging in front and when back mounting the tank and routing the hose from under my right arm.

On storing my ponies / stages I disconnect the first stage after rinsing and drying, if left for some time the threads tend to seize up and it can be a bugger to loosen them.

Toothbrush for cleaning threads is useful.

Please ignore this part of his advice. Leave the bands over the "handle" and recognize that it is not a handle. You never carry the tank that way. It is used only while handling the tank underwater. If you carry the tank by the sling strap, it will eventually loosen. The bands over the strap keep everything nice an tight as well as reminding you not to carry it that way.

Thanks for all of the tips!

Yes they are elastic.

I will likely end up routing them under. I had seen some pictures with them over so I just whipped them on real quick to see how they fit.

There is an HP port on the other side but it's fairly difficult to read it at that angle. (everywhere it said this reg has 1 HP port)

Good idea with gauge protection. I'll see if I can dig something up as a protective sleeve.

I ended up putting some heat shrink tubing (same stuff the clamp is wrapped in) over the sharp piece that sticks out. I guess it sure wouldn't hurt to turn it away from the body though!

Update:
I don't like turning the hose clamp around because that puts the sharp edge right next to my LP house, and I want to keep the screw part of the clamp over the knot in the harness. It keeps the metal unwrapped underside of the hose clamp off the tank. Once I find a sleeve to slip over the screw portion I'll turn it 90 degrees to the outside of the tank.

I decided to spin the 1st stage 180 degrees and remount the pressure gauge. It's visible, yet tucked underneath and less likely to get caught or banged up. It also keeps the first stage equal length with the valve handle, rather than sticking out the other side. The only minor downfall is the LP hose where it attaches to the first stage is at a slightly increased angle so it doesn't sit flush as nicely with the tank as it did previously.

Photo_Jun_28_8_31_20_PM.jpg

Photo_Jun_28_8_31_33_PM.jpg

Maybe you can move the hose over one more port so it bends in toward the tank axis rather than outward... if you care..

Also, I would run BOTH sections of hose under the elastic bands not just the last (terminal) section. As for advice to never use the handle for a handle...:)

And... when you are all done and have it just PERFECT, you can decide it is a pain to carry and then realize it is just easier to have it back mounted....i have a few ideas.:rofl3:

Nope, much better the first way you positioned the primary, hose routing was good enough. Your latest way obscures the valve with the primary. In a panic situation you will be grabbing for the valve. Sling the pony so the valve is easily accessed by either hand.

...//... when you are all done and have it just PERFECT, you can decide it is a pain to carry and then realize it is just easier to have it back mounted....

And here we go again...
04.gif

Nope, much better the first way you positioned the primary, hose routing was good enough. Your latest way obscures the valve with the primary. In a panic situation you will be grabbing for the valve. Sling the pony so the valve is easily accessed by either hand.

And here we go again...
04.gif

I think I agree with this. You do want the valve handle very well exposed and easy to manipulate. One of the benefits of having a slug bottle is being able to handle an unresolvable free-flow or serious first stage leak by feathering the valve on and off for each breath. Is there room for your entire hand to wrap around the handle? Maybe it is not an issue?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom