Couple questions on a pony bottle for bail out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, now that is sweet. I just don't get why we don't have a similar thing for the DelMarVA.

Maybe some enterprising area LDS will take a shot at it someday. It generates both interest and NEW item sales. Seems like you can't ever get everything you need for your 'project'.

FWIW, it seems like NJ more than its fair share of rabid divers. Why is that? Viz can't be that much better up your way.....what gives?

It's complicated. Correct, certainly nothing to do with the viz. :rofl3:

I'm not really sure, but there truly are one hell of a lot of active divers that don't post here. Sad, their stories are insanely amusing. A bit of it has to do with the fact that there is a lot of active wreck diving going on that doesn't play well on SB. Someone always wants to preserve our 'pristine' wrecks that have been wire-dragged or dynamited to drop them out of the shipping hazard category. Maybe it has to do with our highly developed regard for buoyancy and trim. :wink: I don't know, maybe someday I'll shut up too, I get a fair bit of grief on the boats. Or maybe not... :D

Gotta love the Jersey Boys!

Chris. I am in the scuba camp that believes that in most things scuba (and life), there is no one answer fits all situations. In this case, everyone is right (for their diving) and everyone is wrong (for others diving style). Just as in the tank size, read the responses and decide which is best for you.
Thanks! A lot of interesting arguments in here. I picked up my 19cf pony yesterday from Force-E. No hassle on the exhchange. Just need a couple bolt snaps to complete my DIR rigging.

It's filled with air for now. I may end up throwing nitrox in it but don't feel it's necessary right now.

... I picked up my 19cf pony yesterday from Force-E. No hassle on the exhchange. ...

Sweet!

---------- Post added June 22nd, 2014 at 07:01 PM ----------

Way to go you guys! Force-E | Scuba Diving in Florida Since 1976

Certainly not implying that other nearby LDS' wouldn't do the same, but remember to punish bad behavior and REWARD good behavior.

... Or maybe the butterfly one.

OK, I'll make this short. Bump against a taut line with a butterfly clip and you will get clipped onto that line.

However, some divers use a butterfly for the BOTTOM ONLY clip on a stage/pony as it is really easy to clip on and pretty unlikely for a line to get down there. I'll pass, not taking the chance.

Small snaps are OK as long as you never wear gloves. If you do a medium works best. I only stock medium and large.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OK, I'll make this short. Bump against a taut line with a butterfly clip and you will get clipped onto that line.

However, some divers use a butterfly for the BOTTOM ONLY clip on a stage/pony as it is really easy to clip on and pretty unlikely for a line to get down there. I'll pass, not taking the chance.

Thanks. I saw the advantages of being able to easily clip it on, but didn't consider getting caught on something. I feel like this is one of those unlikely scenarios but I think it's probably easier to just eliminate the possibility and get a standard clip.

---------- Post added June 22nd, 2014 at 10:16 PM ----------

Small snaps are OK as long as you never wear gloves. If you do a medium works best. I only stock medium and large.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I do wear gloves, but the size of the release button between the two of them looked negligible. I guess the overall grip would be somewhat compromised. May just play it safe once again and get the Medium.

Last edited:
I do wear gloves, but the size of the release button between the two of them looked negligible. I guess the overall grip would be somewhat compromised. May just play it safe once again and get the Medium.

Good choice. The smalls are just too difficult to get a good grip on. I have the mediums on both the 13 and 30.

Thanks Lisa. I placed my order for the two medium bolt snaps and pressure gauge from DGX. $5 shipping is better than a trip to Pompano.

I ended up getting the Hollis DC3-212 from Dive Right In Scuba for $212 shipped (DC2-212 would have been $320 elsewhere). Saw the DRIS section in the classifieds as a business sponsor and figured I'd check them out. Just so happened to have the Hollis on sale, which I was very interested in. All reviews point to it being an effortlessly breathing reg for the money, and I certainly trust Oceanic/Hollis to put out a nice product.

I couldn't find any significant differences between the DC2 and the DC3. The DC3 seems to be their K.I.S.S. type first stage, which would be perfect for a pony.

Thanks DRIS. DC3-212 - Dive Right in Scuba

Last edited:
Making progress! Thanks again for all of the help. The regulator will be here Friday. Very happy with the simplicity/legibility of the DGX Mini-SPG. You guys saved me about $25 over that Highland.

Was kind of fun making the rigging myself via the DIR link. Still need to find a suitable elastic hose retainer.

Photo_Jun_26_12_51_07_AM.jpg

Back
Top Bottom