Cost of reg service double, is this normal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know the part that pisses me off the most is just the fact that he made the statement that is was discussed among the dive shops that the rate would be double for mail order gear. We only have 2 dive shops

It clearly shows their intent to try to force everyone to buy from the LDS. I understand their reasons, but I don't agree with them. Getting regs serviced should be the same price regardless of where it was purchased.

The fact alone that I want them to service my gear says a lot and its still supporting my LDS which if you have read this lengthy thread you already know I do. With all the gear I bought from them I could have saved a ton buying off the web, but I didn't.

They have not been a bad dive shop. They actually have the largest selection of gear from cheap to expensive to chose from and they have been very good and honest to me. It just got under my skin when they told me that.

I believe right is right and wrong is wrong and that would be very wrong. I mean they would have to relize that I would take my reg somewhere else before I would pay double the labor, is that what they really want?

gtcpl2:
You know the part that pisses me off the most is just the fact that he made the statement that is was discussed among the dive shops that the rate would be double for mail order gear. We only have 2 dive shops

It clearly shows their intent to try to force everyone to buy from the LDS. I

hmm.... This sounds like a violation of the Sherman Act. Two shops getting together doing "price fixing".

Do some research on that and contact your local Better Business Bureau. I'd say go to the District Attorney, but in all reality, both the DA and the BBB prob really don't care about a couple of dive shops gouging customers....

LOL~~~ What do we expect....

The LDS owner who I quoted is a lawyer. Even SP can't touch his way of business.....
So.... that is the reason why I argue, "The international warranty is a super gimmick."
Even you cant get the warranty service in 48 stages, what do we expect when you are out of country?

LOL again~~~~

mike_s:
hmm.... This sounds like a violation of the Sherman Act. Two shops getting together doing "price fixing".

Do some research on that and contact your local Better Business Bureau. I'd say go to the District Attorney, but in all reality, both the DA and the BBB prob really don't care about a couple of dive shops gouging customers....

I think you should just call the shop you bought from and ship it back to them for servicing, i'll bet they'd be happy to do it. If that fails (they closed, etc.) then send an email off to one of the better know internet retailers here (larry from, i think it is scubatoys in texas comes to mind) and I'm sure they will be willing to treat you fairly. Honestly, i wouldn't want to have anything to do with this shop. Yeah, they were nice to you in the past but with these kinds of business ethics on display it is obvious that they will always be looking for the 'win - lose' situation, in their favor of course.

Well thanks for all the support and info. I will talk with the owner again when the time comes for service or work and see what they say. If they stick to their reasons I will look else where for everything. Hopefully they will have a change of mindset and relize what they are really doing.

Thanks again, I think this thread is beaten to death now.

Well I heard back from the Poseidon Distributer and will copy the letter in this post. They said that no matter where I buy their regulator it is covered by warranty. The dive shop saying warranty is void due to mail order is BS

The also said as was guessed that dive shops can charge what ever they want but did go on to say that most will break that policy of charging double as they know you will take it else where which they recommended too.

Here is the letter along with contact info in case anyone else has questions.

gtcpl2

Let me start by telling you that whoever you bought your new Poseidon
regulator from that your warranty is good. It will be covered for the full
2 years. Now let me "try" to explain a little about the dive industry to
you.

Many dive shops look at "mail order and internet sales" as the enemy. This
is because someone that sells via these channels normally have a lower
overhead than a full dive store. Because it is a delicate balancing act
for dive stores to stay in business, balancing education, travel, and
equipment sales. When "their" customers buy equipment from mail order or
via internet that balance affected. Some feel that by penalizing you buy
charging more to service your equipment will make the savings not worth it
and in the future you will buy your equipment from them. Personally I
think this philosophy is not logical. I know I would not be bullied into
where I buy an item. With that said, we can not tell a dealer what to
charge for a service to a customer. If they want to charge you double, I
can only recommend you try other dealers in your area and see if they
actually all agree to this arrangement. If they do you also have the
option to send your regulator out for service. If you need the names of
some very qualified service centers I can give them to you, but I would be
very surprised if someone in your area won't break the "agreement" they all
have.

In the future I would suggest you don't let the dive stores know where or
how you buy your equipment, it is quite frankly none of their business.

Best Regards
John M. Drewniak
Sales & Marketing Manager

Trelleborg Viking, Inc.
Tel: 603-436-1236
Fax: 603-436-1392
john.drewniak@trelleborg.com
http://www.trelleborg.com/protective
http://www.vikingdiving.com
http://www.trelleborg.com

He gives very good advise. I got all my gear as gifts from my rich relatives.

Not to argue with a lot of what you wrote, but this part of your statement isn't really correct. A business exists to make money. How they go about that is a different discussion.

Wayward Son:
A business exists to meet the needs of the customer

He gives very good advise. I got all my gear as gifts from my rich relatives.

That is good advise and is consistant with everyone elses in this thread. I think its a really sad day when you have to LIE about where you got your equipment from. Esp when your close with the folks at your LDS and its normal to ask "where did you get that from" You should be able to be honest and know that you will continue to get good service from them regardless of where it came from.

Well obviously it don't work that way, and its not a perfect world. So I guess part of being a good diver is also being a good LIAR too.

I really like that line.

Terry

gtcpl2:
In the future I would suggest you don't let the dive stores know where or how you buy your equipment, it is quite frankly none of their business.

Best Regards
John M. Drewniak
Sales & Marketing Manager

Trelleborg Viking, Inc.
Tel: 603-436-1236
Fax: 603-436-1392

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom