Cost of reg service double, is this normal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What if they ask the receipt for the warranty service?

If its under warranty I don't believe there is a cost. If however there is just confirm what that cost is and if its BS I will take it some where else.

After the warranty no receipt is needed at all. Here is Poseidons warranty

All Poseidon products come with a 24 month warranty, from the date the product was purchased. (Equipment used for renting- and/or school purposes has a warranty limit of 12 months)

If you want to claim warranty for a Poseidon product, please contact the dealer where the product was purchased and don't forget to bring your proof of purchase.

If you, for some reason, can't get in contact with the dealer where you bought the product, contact your nearest Authorised Poseidon Dealer or the Poseidon Distributor in your country/area.

hoosier:
What if they ask the receipt for the warranty service?

Tell them it was a gift.

I got a box of stuff with no receipt from my father-in-law when he stopped diving. There were no receipts and I've had no problem getting service.

Terry

Receipt will probably be required to prove when it was purchased.

He bought it from an authorized dealer, he has a receipt. If he needs a warranty repair, they pretty much have to handle that or lose their own status as an authorized dealer. That isn't the problem. The problem is that they have said they will charge double for the regular servicing of the reg, which is not a warranty issue. The service is due every 2 years, so the warranty covers it until the 1st service is due & then there is no warranty.

Larry at scubattoys charges a flat rate of $39.95 per reg for service. Even with insured postage it beats the snot out of $80 to a guy like this. I'd call him & find out if he can service all the brands I owned & send him all my regs for service. This guy said he doesn't want any, let him have fond memories of not gettin' none. He has good prices on new, warranteed regs, too.

Larry at scubattoys charges a flat rate of $39.95 per reg for service

I did call Scuba Toys and for Poseidons they are about $100 with labor and parts give or take $!0. I also called other dealers within 3hrs from here and they are all in the ball park. So im my LDS don't change their minds im going else where, which I might just do anyway as none of this should have even happened.

I've heard the Poseidons are harder to work on. My LDS knows the regs, I asked him about them once. He said he can work on them but has difficulty getting parts, especially for older ones. I think I'll stick with brands easier & cheaper to get serviced, or even learn how to service myself.

This is total BS! It sucks that they are the only game in town! I guess I should count my blessings that there are 4 LDS within a 10 minute ride from me!!

I would send my regs out and tell them to kiss my *****-the tanks on the other hand..?

Maybe I would move out of Michigan...too damn cold anyway! (just kidding)

Good luck whatever route you take!

Drew

Maybe I would move out of Michigan...too damn cold anyway! (just kidding)

LOL I only have 9 more yrs till I retire and will only be 56 then so warmer climate is on the agenda. Mich isn't that bad, its just that we don't have any cool water creatures to look at here. Its all zebra muscles, crawfish and a lot of fish lacking color LOL Salt water is where I want to be after I retire.

That place south of Traverse City must've changed hands since I was there last. I bought one of their old dive charter boats, the owner was definitely not a whiner.

Sherman act = covers interfering with interstate commerce. Rodales got busted for that when a "scuba retailers association" was trying to stamp out mail order & forced Rodales into rejecting mail order joint advertising. A snorkel factory took them to court - and won.
see: http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f3700/3720.htm
and then: http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f0800/0896.htm
Here's one that PADI was involved in: http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?court=9th&navby=case&no=9855358

The high end going rate for Poseidon work is $25 per stage, plus parts. The 2nd stage of a Cyklon barely even counts, the service kit has only 4 parts in it, one of which is a zip tie. :wink:
The Poseidon's aren't that nasty to work on, they just like to be kept clean inside. One of the leading mischief makers are eyelashes in the innards, and pressurizing the 1st stage too fast before the parts have a chance to get seated.
Parts are readily available for almost all models ever since Viking took on Poseidon's US distributorship.
For a while there Viking had a bigger parts inventory than the factory in Sweden. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom