Coroner's jury recommends "face mask" ban

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that it is so important for kids to learn to swim. My 15 years in Orange Country made me realize how many deaths actually occur each year in the familiy's pools.

IMO, swimming should be made more of a priority than potty training. Mine learned right after walking.

Too much regulation. Pretty soon (I am there already) regulations are often just one more thing to navigate around.

Interesting. Our policy at wave pools was not to allow a mask to be worn. This, however was due to the possibility of the mask being knocked off by a wave or dropped by the swimmer. The person would then submerge in order to recover it and risk being trapped underneath a pool full of swimmers and floats.
I really hate to say this but it almost sounds like unpreparedness on behalf of the guards/facility. The mask issue becomes something that blame can be assigned to. It was the guards first drowning response. As a guard, you're taught to treat any face-down person that has been in that position for 30 seconds or longer, as a passive drowning. Unless it is a known snorkeler, this would apply to everyone.

NetDoc:
Un-stinking-believable. This sounds like a cover up for faulty parenting. PARENTS should be watching their children in the water. I sure did when they were that age.
There ya go. I was in Tofino the other day and a small girl wearing a baby wetsuit probably 2-3yo was standing next to the crashing surf with no adult in sight. I assume one of the surfboards on the horizon belonged to her mommy.

this is how ridiculous laws are made.
you can't bring a donkey to church in Mass.

that was something on my "life goals" list that is obviously not going to be completed.

Ok….I think this is blown out of proportion. It appears to me that the article is geared towards a more serious issue – the fact that off-duty medical personnel were available to help the victim, but lifeguards refused their help based on policy.

There is one sentence that states a ban for face masks was recommended at public pools and beaches. I can maybe understand a ban against masks in a pool environment where goggles are more appropriate. But beaches? It won’t happen.

I wouldn’t sweat it. Like I said, this is about people being available with the skills necessary to possibly save this child’s life but they were refused access to the victim.

-Josh

Why has it taken 12 years to teach this kid how to swim? What ever happened to teaching Life Skills at an early age? I feel for the parents but this should teach everyone that learning how to swim is a mandatory skill, I agree with that part of the report. As for the lifeguards, something should be done about that too. Who would you rather have working on you in an emergency? A teenager not yet out of school or a Doctor and Nurse with decades of experience behind them? Experience trumps all!

I am sorry for the families loss.

It is that old oxygen-dihydride again...need to ban it outright, corrosive to just about anything, increase the chance of electocution, causes death in small (as little as a teaspoon) and large quantities.

Mike

chef:
Who would you rather have working on you in an emergency? A teenager not yet out of school or a Doctor and Nurse with decades of experience behind them? Experience trumps all!

I am sorry for the families loss.

An aquatic emergency? A trained, prepared lifeguard. Perhaps maturity was a factor here but with all things being equal, I'm not sure what the doctor or nurse could have done that the lifeguard could not have done given the equipment on site. Without specifics, it's hard to say. This is certainly a scenario that in-service training would have prepared them for. It is tragic nevertheless.

freediver:
An aquatic emergency? A trained, prepared lifeguard. Perhaps maturity was a factor here but with all things being equal, I'm not sure what the doctor or nurse could have done that the lifeguard could not have done given the equipment on site. Without specifics, it's hard to say. This is certainly a scenario that in-service training would have prepared them for. It is tragic nevertheless.

I'd go with the trained, prepared lifegaurd. While it's true that doctors/nurses do have training, there is a big difference between a patient in the ER and a patient on a pool deck. When I was taking my OFA III course the question arose "If there is a doctor/nurse at the scene would the victim be better off being cared for by them?" the answer, in short form, was "no". A paramedic however would be an entirely different story.
Personally, if I were attending a victim and some dude in swimming trunks came up to me and said "I'm a doctor, let me help" they'd be my first choice when asking for assistance but there's no way I'd let them take over - How do I know that they're not just joe blow with some basic first aid training and a superiority complex?
After that bit of a rant it does sound like the lifeguards were somewhat negligent and were probably freaking out at the time, being the only drowning they'd ever had to deal with but lacking the full story and not having been at the scene it's not possible to cast judgement. As for the comment about the masks leaking and children choaking on the water, it's ridiculous. It sounds like they're sayng that children are more likely to suck water up their nose with a mask on then with their nose exposed to the water.
It is a tragedy yes and my sympathies go out to all involved, life guards included (those guys are probably going to need therapy after having a kid die on their watch) but ultimately I have to question, where was mom and why did she leave her child, obviously not a strong swimmer, unattended?

S. starfish:
As for the comment about the masks leaking and children choaking on the water, it's ridiculous. It sounds like they're sayng that children are more likely to suck water up their nose with a mask on then with their nose exposed to the water.

I wouldn’t call it ridiculous.

Basically, it boils down to this:

Goggles are designed for swimmers.
Masks are designed for swimmers using a breathing apparatus such as a regulator or snorkel.

I can maybe understand a ban against masks in a pool where swimming is the primary objective, because there is usually no need to be snorkeling or scuba diving.

I have seen adults that are not very “aquatic” struggle with just wearing a mask in the pool. So I can certainly believe that it could happen to a child with limited aquatic experience.

-Josh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom