Coroner warns against full-face snorkel masks after fatality - Hurghada, Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm having trouble seeing the connection between the FFM and IPE. I'm stretching here, but maybe the added dead air space requires greater suction. That could pull fluid in, maybe?

Another possibility is the FFM effectively drowned the victim. IPE can present with spewing out foam. In large volume. That foam wouldn't drain out of the bottom of the mask, at least not quickly, and could be re-aspirated. This would require an incomplete news report, and I suppose they happen.

I'm speculating wildly here. I'm really skeptical about the connection, and grabbing at any possibility that might explain it.

I get the high blood pressure/hormone replacement connection. I think hormone replacement therapy can cause cardiac issues which, along with high BP, might push fluid into the lungs or fail to clear it.

Edit to add: I've seen too many FFM failures (usually involving flooding) to think of using them. I'd never put my kids in a FFM. I understand there are better and worse models. But I don't see the need: I made sure my kids could swim before they could go snorkeling. The biggest advantage of FFM I can see is being able to nose breathe. I wouldn't take kids in water they couldn't stand up in until they could properly swim, which requires knowing not to nose breathe. But I could see others doing it safely if they kept eagle eyes on the kids while snorkeling. And ideally having a second parent watching the first in case they're incapacitated. (I've seen scary situations where surf could easily have driven dad onto a rock, leaving behind a very young non-swimming child in a FFM floating alone.)
This was my question slash concern. I'm not a doctor, but I enjoy browsing PubMed in my freetime. I only recently learned about IPE and have gone down a rabbit hole reading anything I can get my hands on on the topic.

Yes, blood pressure issues I understand. I had never read literature about hormone replacement therapy being linked to IPE, but given your statement here, I supposed I could see a tenuous connection between HRT and changes to a person's cardiac condition.

I am just as stymied, however, when it comes to the correlation between a FFM and IPE. I'd be interested to hear any reasoning between the two. So far, your connection between the similar presentations of IPE and drowning seem the most likely.

Again, I'm not an advocate for FFMs, I'm merely asking for more nuanced clarity as relates to the correlation between FFMd and IPE.

This was my question slash concern. I'm not a doctor, but I enjoy browsing PubMed in my freetime. I only recently learned about IPE and have gone down a rabbit hole reading anything I can get my hands on on the topic.

Yes, blood pressure issues I understand. I had never read literature about hormone replacement therapy being linked to IPE, but given your statement here, I supposed I could see a tenuous connection between HRT and changes to a person's cardiac condition.

I am just as stymied, however, when it comes to the correlation between a FFM and IPE. I'd be interested to hear any reasoning between the two. So far, your connection between the similar presentations of IPE and drowning seem the most likely.

Again, I'm not an advocate for FFMs, I'm merely asking for more nuanced clarity as relates to the correlation between FFMd and IPE.
My doctorate is in engineering, not medicine, so this is purely uniformed speculation. IPE seems to be associated with increased blood pressure. Factors that can cause a temporary increase in blood pressure include stress and exercise. Possibly if a FFSM is faulty, it could lead to CO2 build up, causing stress and over-exertion. Similarly, because FFSMs are so easy to use and allow "natural" breathing, a user may not know what to do when water gets into the mask, e.g., breathing techniques to stop you inhaling water when your breathing equipment is "wet" - again leading to stress.

I don't see the appeal. With the emergence of purge valves, I thought the snorkel had been perfected. I learned without one just blowing the water out at the surface.
Serious snorkelers avoid purge valves. The old style blow clear upon surfacing is still the best way to go for a diver. Kids just floating at the surface use purge valves.

Serious snorkelers avoid purge valves. The old style blow clear upon surfacing is still the best way to go for a diver.
Why is that? I'm a self-taught hack in snorkeling, but they seem nice to me. Aside from the one time mine went bad leading me to inhale water leading to a laryngospasm. I was in the shallow end of a pool fortunately at a family reunion, and I thought I was going to pass out and drown with my cousins and nephews laughing. The company sent me a free replacement and it works well now, but I test it before use.

Why is that? I'm a self-taught hack in snorkeling, but they seem nice to me. Aside from the one time mine went bad leading me to inhale water leading to a laryngospasm. I was in the shallow end of a pool fortunately at a family reunion, and I thought I was going to pass out and drown with my cousins and nephews laughing. The company sent me a free replacement and it works well now, but I test it before use.
Simple, streamlined, least effort, foolproof, purge valves leak eventually, are bulkier.

I have to agree with Gillis on simple is best.

I use and have a couple spares in my dive locker of a Mares simple fixed J snorkel with a purge at the bottom. The mushroom valve is a standard exhaust valve you can buy off some of the after market parts dealers. My Mares snorkel is oh, 25 years old having a silicone mouthpiece and exhaust valve. Still works fine even snorkeling with humpback whales :)

I also have a plain J Mares model (no purge.) Ages ago I learned just look up upon surfacing and blow 1' below the surface using the displacement method. The expanding breath blows the water out leaving a totally clear snorkel ready to take a full breath.

Sadly, teaching snorkeling as part if scuba went away and I see the average sport diver's capability declining from this :(

I personally think the current floppy flex lower section nuclear cooling tower top purge snorkels (costing what? $50.00!!!!) as being ridiculous......As streamlined as a truck when swimming through the water while loosely beating you on the head :(

Sorry for the rant, old timer with 55 years diving and I use a modern BCD, dive computer, etc.

Limiting or eliminating snorkeling as a "watermanship" skill has been a big loss for people wanting to enjoy sport diving safely in my humble opinion.

David Haas

Here's me back in the early 1970s with my Dacor plain mask and "Turbo" contour snorkel. Getting ready to splash in on a Lake Michigan shipwreck.

Picture 2 is current where I don't wear a snorkel except when free diving! LOL.......

IMG_2274.jpeg DaveyUWselfiePhilippinesSept2018.jpg

Simple, streamlined, least effort, foolproof, purge valves leak eventually, are bulkier.
Yeah, ok, well from my experience - test them before you use them.

I've had this one for about a year now and I try to hit the pool at least once a week -- the purge valve is yet to leak. Obviously, streamlined, simple, and not bulkier: check.

f8092d82-273a-43e9-a093-730b623ca297_1.9e17ff452feb83a6749da804f47e2676.jpeg

Ditto for the one I had for years but it mostly lives in the bag on the boat:

SN60bk.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom