Coroner warns against full-face snorkel masks after fatality - Hurghada, Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Serious snorkelers avoid purge valves. The old style blow clear upon surfacing is still the best way to go for a diver. Kids just floating at the surface use purge valves.
Actually, as a long-time snorkeler, I prefer upon surfacing from a surface dive to start the exhalation while looking up, and the snorkel is therefore clear when the head breaks the surface. It's easier than the "blow clear" after surfacing.

On a slightly different note, I still have my old Scubapro Shotgun snorkels, which actually kept dry when waves come into the snorkel tube because of the design of the clearance mechanism. It had a separate tube that the water followed and was expelled through a non-return valve. I used this snorkel on a 16 mile swim in the 1980 as a fundraiser for a small girl who had a fatal disease. I was at the time Finswimming Director for the Underwater Society of America, trying to get finswimming recognized as a sport in and of itself. In the pool, we used a front-mounted snorkel, but at that time I found the Scubapro Shotgun snorkel best for open water. Now, there are many more designs to choose from, many of which do not incorporate any restriction in breathing resistance other than the length of the tube.

One other snorkel that I choose was the U.S. Divers Company Impulse snorkel, which we used on a trip years ago to Maui, Hawaií. Below is a photo of my two sons with their Impulse snorkels. That one had a dome on the top, which fed water out a non-return ring at the top of the snorkel.

Both of these snorkels did not interfere with breathing resistance, but effectively kept water from wave action out of the snorkel.

In the 1980s there were no front-mount snorkels available commercially, and so European competitive finswimmers made their own. Here's some diagrams that illustrate them.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Finswimming Snorkel001.jpg
    Finswimming Snorkel001.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Finswimming Snorkel002.jpg
    Finswimming Snorkel002.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Maui_Snorkeling.png
    Maui_Snorkeling.png
    544.4 KB · Views: 60
I notice from extensive swimming sometimes, just sometimes when you tilt your head back to blow the air out of snorkel some water will go into the back of your nose to sting it.

I notice from extensive swimming sometimes, just sometimes when you tilt your head back to blow the air out of snorkel some water will go into the back of your nose to sting it.
Yes, that happens, especially when you, like me, have a bit of water in the mask to start with.

SeaRat

Then why not take a modified approach ascend horizontally while using your hands to point the snorkel down so it contains air to expel the water? You are likely to be in horizontal position more than vertical when scuba or snorkling too

Back
Top Bottom