"Trace Malinowski's Divemaster Workout"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
"Trace Malinowski's Divemaster Workout" (Part One: Background)

I was standing in a convenient store at my favorite surfing beach in the state of Virginia when I felt a touch on my arm. I turned to meet a woman who was wearing a dive rescue jacket. "Are you one of the lifeguards who saved us?" she asked. "Excuse me?" I replied. She said that she saw the lifeguard jacket I was wearing and wanted to thank me if I had been one of the guys who rescued her dive team. I told her that I was a lifeguard, but not around there. I was just there to surf the approaching hurricane.

She told me the story of an incident the day before when her dive team tried to rescue some people who got caught in a rip current. The four rescue divers found themselves in trouble as well. Some lifeguards were surfing and saved both the dive team and the original victims the team tried to save. It wasn't the first time I had heard of public safety divers being in trouble. In fact, I've rescued a few public safety divers myself.

The day of my longest dive on scuba, my buddy and I surfaced after a 3.5 hour deco dive to hear cries for help! We ended up ditching 3 deco bottles and swimming several hundred yards in doubles and drysuits to rescue 2 PSD divers who had run out of air and panicked. Their own teammates were physically and emotionally unable to get them to shore.

I was able to do it because I was working as a beach lifeguard supervisor at the time. My buddy? He had once been in the Polish military and the French Foreign Legion. Maybe that abuse just stays with you?

Many divers, especially dive pros such as divemasters, instructors, and PSD divers, underestimate the physical challenge a rescue poses. Staying in shape is important for your safety and may make the difference between saving a life or losing one - even your own.

In the United States, the United States Lifesaving Association is the premier organization for expertise in ocean surf and beach rescue. At sea, military rescue swimmers, such as those trained by the United States Coast Guard, train for the worst sea states and weather imaginable. Both USLA lifeguards and USCG rescue swimmers may be considered athletes who save lives. What about divemasters and instructors? Should they be in shape? If so, what kind of physical standards should they be expected to perform? Ask yourself, do you ever dive from shore? In the ocean? Where it is unpredictable. It really is. The surf reports are always so wrong! What about boat diving? How far out to sea do you go? What are the biggest waves in which you dive? Has the weather ever turned nasty? Quarries are some of the toughest places to make rescues. The flat calm water and lack of boat traffic means divers go far from the entry/exit point and you could be towing a victim for hundreds of yards. I've made rescues in all three environments more than once. Rips in the surf zone mean you may have to tow a victim farther than you thought in crashing waves. Swells and current at sea make it a tough swim to the boat with a victim. This really is a butt kicker in tech gear. Especially because you may want to save the oxygen deco bottles. Then, there is the 600+ yard swim to shore in that benign, disrespected quarry while wearing a drysuit.

One of my former students, who recently switched to rebreathers, started a dive company and wants to become a divemaster. He asked me what he has to do to get certified. I first suggested he take a lifeguard course because rescues tend to make it to the surface when you are wearing board shorts and Ray-Bans rather than your dive gear. I said we need to complete the rescue course and technical emergency analysis and management training. Finally, the DM course! I'd also like to see him swim 500 yards in at least 12 minutes, but let's shoot for 10 minutes. "I have to do all that?" he replied in awe. I think he's looking for another instructor for the DM class.

But, why all that? Because, we want to enter the water with confidence when we hear a fellow diver or student call for help. We want to be mentally and physically ready for that moment when we need to assist or rescue someone. We want an instant instinctive response to go as fast as we can to save a life and have the ability to think and act when we get there and have enough gas in the tank to return and have energy left to perform rescue breathing, CPR or other first aid.

How much training time does that take each day? Eh ... about 20 - 45 minutes. Sometimes, just 10 minutes. You don't have time? Aren't you playing on the Internet right now?

How "in shape" do we have to be? If we look at the United States Coast Guard standards for rescue swimmers, we find that the fitness standards have been chosen to help maintain the flexibility, strength, and endurance a rescue swimmer might need to function for 30 minutes while assisting persons in distress in heavy seas.

The USCG recommends 2 ground training days and 1 swim training day per week consisting of stretching, warm-up, plyomterics, strength training, cool down, and post exercise stretching. These training sessions shouldn't be longer than 90 minutes to prepare for monthly fitness screenings. The monthly physical screening consists of a 500 yard crawl swim in 12 minutes, 25 yard underwater swims repeated 4 times with 60 seconds of rest between each attempt, and a 200 yard buddy tow. The rescue swimmer should also be able to complete 50 push-ups in 2 minutes, 60 sit-ups in 2 minutes, 5 straight pull-ups, and 5 straight chin-ups.

The standards for ocean rescue lifeguards consist of a mandatory 500 meter swim in 10 minutes or less and then varies by agency for the timed runs. Typical run tests are a timed 1 mile run (usually in 8 minutes or less), a timed quarter mile run (400 meters/440 yards) in 1 minute, 40 seconds or less or a 200 meter run - 400 meter swim - 200 meter run in 10 minutes or less.

Last edited:
"Trace Malinowski's Divemaster Workout" (Part Two: The Workout)

As a PSAI scuba instructor, USLA professional lifeguard, and member of the IUCRR (International Underwater Cave Rescue & Recovery), my fitness goals are simply to pass the time, distance and strength standards of both the USLA lifeguards and the USCG rescue swimmers, termed AST's (aviation survival technicians) in Coast Guard lingo.

Which is exactly what I just did, testing myself the past two weeks, at age 48, just 3 weeks away from my 49th birthday. When I was a teen and in my twenties, I could easily run, lift and swim daily. But, with age comes joints that scream "WISDOM!" at you. If you are interested in a sport-specific program that I'm successfully following to help pass professional aquatic rescue standards, I'd be glad to share that with you. Of course, please discuss this program with your physician or primary care provider before embarking upon the training I use. Distances are in meters or yards depending upon which measurement you prefer.

Monday: 1 - 2 mile run (easy) or 1600 swim
Tuesday: 2 warm-up sets, then 5 sets of 5 reps of Barbell Squats, Bench Presses, and Bent Rows
Wednesday: 200 run - 400 swim - 200 run x 4 times; or 10 x 200 beach sprints; or 5 x 200, 5 x 100, 5 x 50 beach sprints
Thursday: 2 warm-up sets then 5 x 5 of Barbell Squats and Military Presses, 3 x 5 deadlifts
Friday: 1 mile run or 10 minute run (hard)
Saturday: 600 crawl wearing facemask, 1000 swim in snorkeling gear, 200 buddy tow or 300 rescue kicks wearing fins, mask, snorkel

Monday we start off with an easy run to recover from all of the diving, drinking, or screaming at our favorite football team we did on the weekend. If you feel lazy just run 1 mile. If you feel more motivated run 2 miles. If I don't feel like running I go for an easy distance swim.

Tuesday it is into the gym for some heavy lifting. I follow the Stronglifts 5 x 5 or Bill Starr's 5 x 5 style workouts. Scuba tanks are heavy. Doubles even more heavy. In the winter, I do 3 days of weights. In the summer, just 2 days. I rest 1 - 2 minutes between sets. The general idea is that you lift a weight for 5 sets of 5 reps. If you get all 5 reps in good form during all 5 sets you add 5 lbs. to the bar next workout. If you don't get all 5 reps in 5 sets you keep that weight until you do. An example would be bench pressing 225 lbs. Maybe the first time you move to 225 lbs. you get 5 reps on set 1, 4 reps on set 2, 4 reps on set 3, 3 on set 4 and 2 on set 5. The following week you might get 5 x 5, 5, 4, 4, 3. The week after 5 x 5, 5, 5, 4, 3. The next time you might get 5 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 3. Then, maybe you nail it at 5 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5. The next time you add 5 lbs. to get 230 lbs. on the bar and you might just get 4, 3, 3, 2, 2. You just keep working until you get 5 sets of 5 reps then add another 5 lbs. Please research the various 5 x 5 programs yourself to understand when you need to drop some intensity to give yourself a break so you don't get injured.

Wednesday is SPRINT DAY! Sprinting on sand is where we divers often are and it is a god place to train. Sand also slows us down and helps reduce hamstring injuries to a small degree. You don't have to be at the ocean for sand sprints. Many inland state parks have sandy beaches. I use Google Earth to find distances. My local state park just 10 minutes from my house in the Poconos is 220 yards long with a 200 yard swim area. The signs are 50 yards apart. Makes it really easy to figure out 200 yard, 100 yard, and 50 yard runs. If you have not been running fast in a while please consult a trainer with a masters track background. You'll need to start off slow and get flexible first to avoid injury. I mix it up by doing the run - swim - run easy one time, hard the next, by sprinting 200 yards in 10 sets of 200, or by doing 1750 yards of 200's, 100's, and 50's. This will allow us to pass the beach sprint times and develop footwork for running in a sandy slippery environment. I normally do the first and last sets running on the soft pack sand for slower, yet harder work and sets 2 - 4 on the hard pack sand for speed.

Thursday back to the gym for some 5 x 5 but with Squats and Military presses. For deadlifts, I only do 3 sets of 5 reps, 3 reps, and 1 rep. Notice we just do 1 leg exercise, 1 pushing exercise and 1 pulling exercise on our gym days. Less is more. Sometimes, I add a set or more of pull-ups, chin-ups, sit-ups, push-ups, dips or leg raises after the deadlifts.

Friday is a quick 1 mile or 10 minute hard run. This is setting us up to beat the 1 mile in 8 minutes goal for lifeguards. If I have extra energy, I may go to the water afterward and work on crawl, breaststroke, backstroke, and butterfly stroke form and speed.

Saturday, back in the water for a 600 crawl stroke with just a mask in 15 minutes or less. Then, take 5 minutes to rest and gear up in snorkeling equipment and swim 1000 yards in 20 minutes or less. After that it is 200 yard buddy tow or 300 yard rescue kick set. I normally do 100 yards where the top leg goes back in the modified rescue scissors kick with right leg first, 100 left leg back, then 100 frog kick on my back pretending to tow a victim in all 3 modes. FINS MAKE THIS SPORT SPECIFIC!!! The surface area of the fin will tax the leg muscles! Also, breathing through a snorkel will make it more difficult to deal with breathing resistance and dead air space.

When I can't get to the gym, I do various "Military Grinders" consisting of push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, squat thrusts, burpees, etc.

If you try it, let me know how it works for you. I love it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom