Cooper River Trip Sunday, 11 March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
hey, i've always wanted to do the Cooper river

any chance i can tag along?

where would we board the boat, so i can plan trip?

That is one of the main details I am trying to get from Bill. I am sure that there will be room. His website has the price at $100 per diver for all day on the Cooper, but I know that there are other pricing models depending on the number of divers and the time of year.
:monkeydan

thanks

i'll keep an eye on this thread

Are you guys using dry suits? How has the clarity been lately? Isn't it usually much better in the winter? Sounds like fun.

i'll definetly use my dry suit

i am a cold water wus

Well, from what I understand good vis in the Cooper is 4-8' feet and usually vis is 1-2 feet. Should be considered a night dive even during the day. I would like to do this dive this summer once the water warms and I get a little more experience under my weight belt.

Bill at Off the Wall only goes on weekends when the tides allow for 4 1 hour dives. Most charters only do 2 1 hour dives for the same price he charges for 4 dives.

I would definitely be interested, but it's too danged far to drive for only one day of diving. Not going to do a Sat. and Sunday?

Bill Called!

Here are the details from Bill.

We meet at the dock in Charleston, SC Sunday March 11th at 07:30, boat leaves at 08:00. This is a 4 tank dive, one hour per dive with lunch between dives 2 and 3. The time we get back is solely up to us. The water temp, last time he checked was 50˚F. We basically follow the tide all day.

This is a dry suit dive! Bill strongly suggests no wet suits because this is an all day dive and it will be difficult to maintain your core temperature for four hours this time of year. There is no shelter on his boat so you are out in the weather. There is also no escape; we stay out until the air is gone.

Now for the cost: The boat will be at the dock for $560, 6 person maximum. This is his limit for this dive unless it is a 2-3 day charter then he will bring out his second boat. Tanks of air, which he will pickup from a friend locally in Charleston, are $9 each for an 80cu aluminum, again plan on a solid 4 hours of diving at minimum. Figure $100 per person if we get six, this gives Bill a DM tip.

So let’s start getting the list together. Personally I will go with 4 people if they are willing to split the cost, but I am sure that we can get 6 and keep the cost down. Bill does not care if there is only one person, the boat to be in Charleston is $560.

1. dschulte

I am opening this up to ScubaBoard people first, I will work on filling it locally later. Getting together at the Hot Hole a few weekends ago was a great experience; putting faces to avatars!

Lets get wet, well at least get our dry suits wet.

sounds pretty good

where will we actually be doing the diving? ( i assume we'll head up the Cooper River and follow the tide out/in?)

also, are we talking about fossil hunting on the bottom?

how deep are we talking about?

H2Andy:
sounds pretty good

where will we actually be doing the diving? ( i assume we'll head up the Cooper River and follow the tide out/in?)

also, are we talking about fossil hunting on the bottom?

how deep are we talking about?

We follow the tide in and out, basically keeping ahead of the change to avoid the heavy currents. There are also spots where the tide is not a factor that Bill hits. The max depth is 35' so no required surface interval. Fossils (megaladon teeth are the big prize) as well as other artifacts, Civil War, indian, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom