Cooper River Trip Sunday, 11 March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octotat:
I would definitely be interested, but it's too danged far to drive for only one day of diving. Not going to do a Sat. and Sunday?

The two day charter put the cost too high for the "boss". I also have difficulty getting two days in a row this time of year. I am in Augusta so it is under 3 hours for me.
:monkeydan

dschulte:
We follow the tide in and out, basically keeping ahead of the change to avoid the heavy currents. There are also spots where the tide is not a factor that Bill hits. The max depth is 35' so no required surface interval. Fossils (megaladon teeth are the big prize) as well as other artifacts, Civil War, indian, etc.

excellent ... my wife's on board, so it's a go for me (she'll hang out Charleston while i dive)

so ... a few questions:

1. do people take mesh bags to put stuff they find in?

2. do you use a screwdiver with a line to keep yourself in one place?

3. i am 5'10, 185 lbs... on a drysuit with undies, steel plate, and AL 80 tanks, what sort of weight am i looking at to wear on my belt? (i've never dove the drysuit with singles)

4. anything else i need to bring, know, think about?

thanks!

H2Andy:
excellent ... my wife's on board, so it's a go for me (she'll hang out Charleston while i dive)

so ... a few questions:

1. do people take mesh bags to put stuff they find in?

2. do you use a screwdiver with a line to keep yourself in one place?

3. i am 5'10, 185 lbs... on a drysuit with undies, steel plate, and AL 80 tanks, what sort of weight am i looking at to wear on my belt? (i've never dove the drysuit with singles)

4. anything else i need to bring, know, think about?

thanks!

Cool! Welcome aboard

1. dschulte
2. H2Andy

The current should not be bad enough for a screwdriver, but it may be good for poking around, always a good idea to do where you find a tooth. Take a mesh or canvas bag, this is a must. It is always good to overweight yourself for this type of dive. I will put 16lbs on with my steel tank. You want to be on the bottom, crawling around looking for the outline of teeth. Check out this video.

DawgDiver:
:11: Are they really just laying around like that?

In the Cooper, yes. The Morgan you have to look for gorgorians, which anchor only to hard surfaces. 9 out of 10 times it will be a bone or tooth. But the Morgan is black water, 0 vis.

Well... sad news for me. I was going to go, but when I went to check out and make sure my dry suit was ready for use before I signed up, I realized that is a zipper malfunction that it has to be sent back to the manufacturer and replaced. So... as much as it actually breaks my heart and I was looking forward to going, I don't think I'll be able to go unless the water heats up about 10 degrees.

Sorry ya'll. :(

Caleb

sccaleb:
Well... sad news for me. I was going to go, but when I went to check out and make sure my dry suit was ready for use before I signed up, I realized that is a zipper malfunction that it has to be sent back to the manufacturer and replaced. So... as much as it actually breaks my heart and I was looking forward to going, I don't think I'll be able to go unless the water heats up about 10 degrees.

Sorry ya'll. :(

Caleb

There is always duct tape:D .

Or I could just put rogaine on my back and chest and make my hair grow out a bunch by the time for the trip. Then I could be cromagnon Caleb and swim naked! :) Oh... the fun the Charleston Police would have with that...

sccaleb:
Or I could just put rogaine on my back and chest and make my hair grow out a bunch by the time for the trip. Then I could be cromagnon Caleb and swim naked! :) Oh... the fun the Charleston Police would have with that...

It's Charleston, would they notice?

I'm sure they would... there are lots of rich people in Charleston. Of course, if I shaved "Save the Hunley" or "Charleston is for Lovers" in my caveman chest hairs, they would realize I'm a tourist and leave me alone. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom