Cooper River Trip Sunday, 11 March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am pretty sure that Bill at Off the Wall rents drys suits if you really want to go.

I was talking with a guy that goes diving in the Cooper often. He says he uses cheap knees pads to put over his suit to protect the knees from the gravel. He also said that the water skiing gloves from Wal-Mart have held up better than his dive gloves. He said he always take river pick aka big screw driver--great for anchoring yourself or digging and poking around.

leah:
I am pretty sure that Bill at Off the Wall rents drys suits if you really want to go.

I was talking with a guy that goes diving in the Cooper often. He says he uses cheap knees pads to put over his suit to protect the knees from the gravel. He also said that the water skiing gloves from Wal-Mart have held up better than his dive gloves. He said he always take river pick aka big screw driver--great for anchoring yourself or digging and poking around.

Spoke with Bill, he does rent them for $25 per day. Just need to size you, neck, height, weight and shoe size. If you are close to his store, stop in and try one on. He just needs to know that you will not kill yourself in his suit, so if you own one that is OOC he will rent it or if you have the cert card (not required). Also Bill performs repairs on most aspects of the suit, except for the zipper.
:monkeydan

I think I'm in, but I need to call them and see if I can get on the boat and dive on Saturday. I can't justify a 7 hour drive for just one day of diving. As far as previous questions about a screwdriver, where I normally dive the Cooper, the current is horrendous and we dive the tail end of the incoming and the beginning of the outgoing tide, so an anchor is really needed. I use a mountaineering axe, it looks cool and provides a solid anchor in the hard marl. Heck of a weapon to fight off the gators too :wink:

I'm going to make some calls and see if I can get on a boat for Saturday (Bills or another guy I've dived with there.)

Gang,
I would suggest a screwdriver with a lanyard. I have a bunch of dives in the local rivers around Chas. & Bft. I dive wet with a 2 pc 6.5m. Have screwdriver in left hand and light in right. I usually overweight by about 6-10lbs considering the current. I would go along to meet ya'll but since I dive wet we take 10 gal. coolers fill them with hot water to reheat. I doubt you'll be getting an hour off of those tanks unless you are very comfortable in low vis and are at about 15'. Currently, we anchor, shoot a bearing and dive into the current turn and come back with the tide about 1/4 the way and pop up. Usually pop up about 50-75' infront of the boat. We have a 75' float off the back. As boat traffic picks up we'll switch to 2 anchors and lanyards so we remain in contact with our boat for saftey. Good luck.

Still need a few more for the trip. I will go with four if everyone is willing to split the cost.

DiverTonyD:
Hi I might be interested in going if we dive saturday and sunday. I live near Charlotte NC so Im with the other fellow that thinks 2 days is better anyone wanna split a room friday and saturday :) if your coming thru Charlotte could even share a ride have a supercrew f150 so could fit 4 with gear email me tonyrdavis@hotmail.com

Tony

I personally could not make Saturday, but Bill is available. The cost would be the same for Saturday as Sunday, $560 per day 6 divers max. I guess the dry suit only suggestion from Bill is hurting response from some folks closer to the site. I am only 3 hours away, so it is a relatively short drive for the dive.

well ... i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i don't think i am going to be able to come on Sunday

i'd have to drive in Saturday night, and things are getting complicated

No problem, we will try this trip another time. I jay just go up to Jocassee or something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom