Cookie storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Many of us that use the Halcyon 18w HID in the caves use a piece of inner tube to stow a cookie on the light ballast.

My buddy uses a Salvo light which doesn't permit this. He sticks a cookie to his bottom timer bungie. Anyone know if this an acceptable DIR method?

Many of us that use the Halcyon 18w HID in the caves use a piece of inner tube to stow a cookie on the light ballast.

My buddy uses a Salvo light which doesn't permit this. He sticks a cookie to his bottom timer bungie. Anyone know if this an acceptable DIR method?

I don't "store" cookies anywhere but to a bungee clipped off in my pocket. I feel like it gets in the way on the light handle. If I am picking one up on the fly and need to keep moving, I slide it between my arm and my compass and hook it to the bungee strap. So, it is flat on my arm. When there is a stop and I have time, I restow in my pocket. Generally, I only use this method with scooters. When swimming it is easy to do while still underway.

I don't "store" cookies anywhere but to a bungee clipped off in my pocket.
How exactly does this work? Bungee tied onto a boltsnap, knot on the other end, arrows/cookies stored on the bungee with the boltsnap attached to one of the bungees in the pocket?

I use a ~4" diameter loop of bungie tied through a medium sized boltsnap. Clip the cookies and arrows to the loop.

DIR-MX sells some nifty little marker holders which are a straight peice of pretty fat bungie with a boltsnap attached to one end and a bit knot on the other. I forget how the snap is attached though.

How exactly does this work? Bungee tied onto a boltsnap, knot on the other end, arrows/cookies stored on the bungee with the boltsnap attached to one of the bungees in the pocket?

Yes. The DIR guys in Mexico sell a very clean "profesional" looking one with shrink wrap keeping everything clean looking. If smeone has a picture, that is the best example I have seen of how to make one.

I slide it between my arm and my compass and hook it to the bungee strap. So, it is flat on my arm. When there is a stop and I have time, I restow in my pocket.
This is how he does it as well so I'm going to assume it is acceptable then.

Thanks.

Remind me to smack you for your lack of awareness as you have been shown mine several times. :wink:

In my cave class my instructor had something similar, but instead of thick bungee cord it was made of black surgical rubber tube. It went on the right chest D-ring. You could remove a line arrow or cookie and reach up and slide it onto the rubber tubing with your left hand while your right hand was still on the scooter. It removed the need to stow individual items in the thigh pocket each time.

(RTodd, if this response is not DIR, please remove it - I've no idea one way or the other, but it effectively stowed cookies rapidly...)

We used black surgical tubing as well (can't remember the exact size) as it fits the slots on the arrows and cookies very well. It can even hold clothes pins pretty well which I rarely use anymore. Three of each spread out were used during class. We were permitted to clip off to the right D-ring temporarily. Anything longer and the cave monster would get it just like all the backup lights. It is suprising how easily little things like this get in the way if you just leave them out in he open for any length of time. It was all stored in the left pocket at the top.

Before my class I tried to put something together that I was told was used in the WKPP (who knows). It was a series of three loops (differing sizes) made of shock chord. I thought it was pretty slick, but David quickly showed me that it was harder to remove and replace items using this device. He gave me an A for effort, but made me change.

In my cave class my instructor had something similar, but instead of thick bungee cord it was made of black surgical rubber tube. It went on the right chest D-ring. You could remove a line arrow or cookie and reach up and slide it onto the rubber tubing with your left hand while your right hand was still on the scooter. It removed the need to stow individual items in the thigh pocket each time.

(RTodd, if this response is not DIR, please remove it - I've no idea one way or the other, but it effectively stowed cookies rapidly...)

We used to use the surgical tubing but it falls apart faster than the thick bungee. Also used to leave it on the d-ring. But, it gets in the way and you don't need it that often. The primary storage should be in the pockets. For swimming dives, there really is never any reason not to put it back in the pocket. For scooter dives where you may drop and pick up markers "on the fly", the under the bungee method is what I consider ideal (and fastest) or a second bungee on the light. But even on the gauge or light it is better if you stow it when not about to be in use (admittedly a bit of a gray area).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom