Convex mirror works well for instant feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This Satuday I hung a 24" glass free convex safety mirror from a swimmers starter block in a pool about 2 feet above ground (string to starter block, weights on bottom).

Except for the initial kiddy soccer effect (all in one hive around the ball), it worked pretty well for instant feed back on trim etc. I (and others) felt it was large enough.

I chose this mirror
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XJHB0OG?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
for cost & no glass (unbreakable). It is made with a fairly sturdy molded orange plastic backer to which the rather flimsy, but functional metallic mirror is screwed. Supposedly it is outdoor rated. No idea how long it might hold up with UW use, but I am not near saltwater so, maybe it lasts until the family is in trim... or the LDS works with mirrors. Acrylic ones cost a bit more... and I do not know if they would last longer.
All I did to this mirror was:
- remove the mirror part to getbthe protective foil off.
- drilling a hole near the top to let air escape.
- Two more holes 7 ... 8" to the left and right top center as well as bottom center to attach a short piece of cordage to the top two holes and one to the bottom two.
That lets me hang the mirror fairly twist free and lets me weigh the bottom down.
- put the mirror part back on.

I transport it wrapped into a thin fleece blanket to prevent scratches. The blanket likely weighs as much the very lightweight mirror. The mirror also came with hardware for a post mount.

Feel free to move this into a more appropriate forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom