Contact Lenses vs Prescription Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a daily contact lens wearer. I wore my contacts during pool sessions and in open water certification. I was worried about mask clearing but kept my eyes squeezed shut and didn't have a problem. Practicing in the pool relieved a lot of my stress. Good luck!

Prescription mask and keep a close eye on it as well as never put it on your forehead after surfacing from the dive.

I prefer contacts, but use a prescription mask. If you're a contact wearer, using them while diving generally works great. As other posters have mentioned, you're unlikely to lose a contact during mask flooding. If you do, you can still see your gauges, etc. not a big deal. I use a prescription make now, however, because with my 40+ eyes, I can't see close enough with my contacts to read my gauges easily. If close focus was not an issue for me, I'd definitely opt for contacts.

The inexpensive stick-on magnifier lenses can allow you to see your gauges easily. Less costly if/when you lose a mask.

I prefer contacts, but use a prescription mask. If you're a contact wearer, using them while diving generally works great. As other posters have mentioned, you're unlikely to lose a contact during mask flooding. If you do, you can still see your gauges, etc. not a big deal. I use a prescription make now, however, because with my 40+ eyes, I can't see close enough with my contacts to read my gauges easily. If close focus was not an issue for me, I'd definitely opt for contacts.
I do monovision contacts. Correction for distant vision in dominant eye and near vision in other. Takes a bit of adjustment but it works.

Thanks uncfnp. I've talked to at least one person who has tried those and she like them. They sound strange, but maybe I'll give it a try at some point.

I've rarely (almost never) seen someone lose a contact while scuba diving.

However, I just opt for prescription lenses since you can't lose those and if I lose the entire mask, I'd be in the same boat either way.

I've rarely (almost never) seen someone lose a contact while scuba diving.

However, I just opt for prescription lenses since you can't lose those and if I lose the entire mask, I'd be in the same boat either way.
Speaking from experience, it is easier to lose contact lens than mask. And it is a lot easier to clean a mask than contact lens.

I wear the DGX -3/-3 masks (cheap $50 or less I think). And they work fine. I wear prescription sunglasses on diving days.

I do dive with normal masks sometimes. I make it a point to flood my masks with my eyes open. It's a key thing for safety. You need to know what it's going to be like, and be an expert at dealing with it.

Fresh water makes the lens sticky and they may roll up and get stuck under my eyelid. That's pretty painful. Salt water seems much easier to deal with. Stings a little, but no more than contacts normally do.

I've been diving with disposable contact lenses since day one that I picked up this expensive hobby (LOL). I've never had any issues with it and I prefer contact lenses over the prescription mask.

1) Contact lenses are much cheaper to replace
2) I've never lost a contact lens (knock on wood) and in fact, I can actually open my eyes in the water for a short amount of time and my contact lenses will not fall off. The soft lenses adhere to your eyeballs with quite a strong bond, believe it or not. I would not try that with the gas permeable (hard) contact lenses though.
3) You lose your mask or someone's tank found the top of your mask, your done for the trip (unless you carry a spare one).
4) Carry a pair of glasses for after you are done diving is a hassle as well. Also see number 3.
5) Not to mention the danger pose to other divers' feet should your lens(es) cracked into smithereens.

Contact lens is a much easier and hassle-free option.

Just my 2 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom