Contact Lenses vs Prescription Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving with contacts I've had sand caught under my contact and scratched my eye. Also two experiences of eye infection with bacteria eating pits under my contact.... safe to say I now keep my eyes closed when removing my mask and also am careful not to flood it when diving contaminated fresh water high silt conditions.

Salt water never any issues.

LASIK looks really good but I'm still scared of possible complications.

I understand the fear of Lasik, I wanted it for 14 years before I was convinced by the recommendation of a friend. Knowing someone who had been to that doctor and felt so confidant in the process made me feel better about it. I was diving 5 weeks after I had it done. 1.5 years later and it's like I never needed glasses before.
All I can suggest it, maybe go for a consultation? When, after 2 hours of various tests and inspections, the doctor told me I was the most ideal candidate, I was convinced. So, if I wasn't an ideal candidate i might not have had the same confidence.
Hope that helps. I truly have no regrets, but it also all worked out well for me.

Every time I consider Lasik, they come out with new and better (but thus not tried and tested) techniques, so I keep putting it off.

I usually wear glasses, contacts while on vacation and while doving, no problems.

I've had prescription contact lenses for several years now. Whenever I go swimming with my snorkel mask, I wear the contacts. However, they are soft lenses and don't like getting water in them. Since I'm likely going to take my OW SCUBA certification classes next summer, I'd like to consider getting a prescription mask. I know that part of the course is learning how to take off your mask and replace/clear it underwater. Unfortunately, even with my eyes shut during the process, the little bit of water left on my eyes would mess up my contacts and likely leave me partially or totally "blind" until I can reach the surface and remove or fix the contacts.

I think my plan will be to get a prescription mask to use in the water, and keep a pair of glasses with me for on land. Then also keep an extra pair of contacts and a regular blank mask as backup.

Thoughts? Experience? Advice for a pre-scuba'er?

Thanks for any input! :)
As you already said, taking your mask off during class is a requirement. So is finding it, or your weight belt, or miscellaneous things with your mask off is also part of it so you will have to have your eyes open while underwater. Wearing Contacts underwater is never a good idea (s**t happens underwater). Pressure underwater can also squeeze them against your eye to an uncomfortable level. Contacts underwater, never a good idea. Get the prescription mask and have your glasses in a case in your gear bag unless you intend to wear your mask until you get to shore.

I understand the fear of Lasik, I wanted it for 14 years before I was convinced by the recommendation of a friend. Knowing someone who had been to that doctor and felt so confidant in the process made me feel better about it. I was diving 5 weeks after I had it done. 1.5 years later and it's like I never needed glasses before.
All I can suggest it, maybe go for a consultation? When, after 2 hours of various tests and inspections, the doctor told me I was the most ideal candidate, I was convinced. So, if I wasn't an ideal candidate i might not have had the same confidence.
Hope that helps. I truly have no regrets, but it also all worked out well for me.

Fear about Lasik only exists before the procedure :). They drug you so you are so chilled out fear doesn't exist while they do it. Don't dive or swim until it heals completely. I got my glasses in 3rd grade so getting Lasik was the best decision I ever made. The only downside was I needed a new normal mask, and I could no longer claim I could not tell when the shower needed cleaning :).

As you already said, taking your mask off during class is a requirement. So is finding it, or your weight belt, or miscellaneous things with your mask off is also part of it so you will have to have your eyes open while underwater. Wearing Contacts underwater is never a good idea (s**t happens underwater). Pressure underwater can also squeeze them against your eye to an uncomfortable level. Contacts underwater, never a good idea. Get the prescription mask and have your glasses in a case in your gear bag unless you intend to wear your mask until you get to shore.

Are you an eye doctor? Many, many divers wear contacts, as evidenced by replies in this thread and others like it. A diver may never in hundreds of dives have to find a weight belt or otherwise have a need to open their eyes underwater without a mask. Nevertheless, like others here, on rare occasion I have opened my eyes underwater with contacts on, and suffered no discomfort or lasting effects. If you have some special expertise behind your assertion that "wearing contacts underwater is never a good idea," please let us know.

Are you an eye doctor? Many, many divers wear contacts, as evidenced by replies in this thread and others like it. A diver may never in hundreds of dives have to find a weight belt or otherwise have a need to open their eyes underwater without a mask. Nevertheless, like others here, on rare occasion I have opened my eyes underwater with contacts on, and suffered no discomfort or lasting effects. If you have some special expertise behind your assertion that "wearing contacts underwater is never a good idea," please let us know.

Yup. Opening your eyes under water with contacts in, is no big deal. I wouldn't want to have to swim very far because they'd probably wash out, but other than that, there's no issue.

There is no pressure squeeze with contacts. Most contacts are either hard plastic or hydrophilic plasticm, which are mostly water and won't react to pressure. I cannot imaging what you are doing wrong to get a contact "squeezed" to your eyeball.

I've been diving with contacts since the day I started diving back in 2000. Before that I swam regularly with contacts (and goggles). I also now teach with my contacts in.

Other than not enjoying chlorine in the eyes, even mask off demos are no biggie. If you really need to see underwater and not lose a contact you can squint. It works.

The cost of a prescription mask and the greater likelihood of losing a mask vs. contacts really tips the balance to contacts. I've lost a mask in surf once, but never lost a contact.

Nonsense. There is a risk of infection but it is a risk faced by all contact wears and even individuals without contacts thought contact use does increase the risk. It is Acanthamoeba and it is found worldwide, in the soil, dust, freshwater, and Seawater. Swimming pools, hot tubs and even drinking water poses risks. Good eye care lowers the risk but it is always there whether I scuba dive or not. Like scuba diving itself, I know the risk and take action to minimize it.

As for seeing underwater without the mask, diving without contacts is no help there either. Without corrected vision, I couldn't find a lost mask on land! Forget underwater. But again I know this about myself and work through scenarios to deal with this should it happen. And also very careful to insure it doesn't happen.

I personally like perscription lenses more than contacts and I find they fog less than regular lenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom