Considering small doubles (~50's)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't say it is and I wouldn't say it isn't. I suppose it depends on one's personal skill level and the specific conditions of particular dive. When I dive solo, I conduct my dives in such a way that I am confident that I can handle whatever comes up. It is a personal choice and depends entirely on confidence in one's skill level and risk assessment. For myself, solo diving without the complications of carrying redundant gear is no more hazardous than diving with a buddy, as I am not in the habit of relying entirely on another diver to bail me out. My diving habits were developed many years ago, long before the current rely-on-technology-for-everything style came along.

My diving style works for me, but I would not go so far as to say that it would work for everyone.

"So that means solo diving without a redundant gas source is safe?"

For me, yes. For someone else? That is a decision that would have to be made after careful personal assessment.

So that means solo diving without a redundant gas source is safe?

This is not the solo forum. A wide opinion exists within the solo community as to what constitutes safe enough. The surface is my redundancy above 60 feet plus or minus. I have been solo diving for nearly 45 years. What works for me I never said would work for everybody or anybody other than me. I am sure Paladin is of similar material, without speaking for him.

N

This is not the solo forum. A wide opinion exists within the solo community as to what constitutes safe enough. The surface is my redundancy above 60 feet plus or minus. I have been solo diving for nearly 45 years. What works for me I never said would work for everybody or anybody other than me. I am sure Paladin is of similar material, without speaking for him.

N

Methinks I may have opened yet another container of slimy, wriggly subterranean crawlers, N. We are from a different era that is difficult for some of the youngsters to comprehend. :D

I don't think a 6 cu ft tank is enough to ascend safely from 100 ft.

It depends upon what you mean by "ascend safely". If you take what DD stated literally, (100 to 0) you should need between 4 cu ft (@.5SAC) to 6 cu ft (@.75 SAC) to get directly to the surface at 30FPM. If you mean is it enough to execute a standard ascent profile, including a minute to work stuff out at depth, a stressed breathing rate, a deep stop, a safety stop and an allowance for a short fill, then you can double to triple that number.

There are several options for doing what you want. These are what I have tried to maximize dive time, address redundancy and have fun:

Single with slung pony/stage. Good, simple easy to use. Has the advantage of a second reg set if your primary has a failure so you can do a second dive (without the pony).

Independent doubles. For me, St72's which give me enough gas for long dives with plenty of reserve. Complete redundancy.

Manifolded doubles, single outlet: Easy, lot's of gas (when I use St72's) or compact (if I use Al40's). No redundancy.

Sidemount: Where I'm at now. Same as independent doubles (lot's of gas) but I can carry one cylinder at a time at the dive site and also have the option of single sidemounting for shallow dives.

Of them all, if you want redundancy, single tank with slung pony is the easiest IMO. The limiting factor with that setup (for me) is gas.

I like doubles with a single outlet for shallow (<50') dives as, like some others above, I don't use redundancy for them. >50' I prefer SM or ID.

062-1.jpg
047.jpg
Picture2011-5.jpg

Or there is always "no mount"
101.jpg

Be careful, Dale. All those enticing shots of double hose regulators might be too much for the youngsters to handle. They might find themselves tempted to come over to the Dark Side with us old geezers and our vintage gear and superior diving prowess!:wink:

Wow! 3 pages before I could even reply. Thanks all! :D I am absorbing all of the information here, and it is helping me come to a decision.

I posted in that thread, thanks! It looks interesting, and it's in my area too! Does anyone know the difference in terms of trim between the al and steel 50's?

I did the LP 50's thing 30 years ago for commercial charter boat dives. They were fun to dive and I had free fills. But the overhead of dealing with doubles was not worthwhile on shore dives. Just a simple run of 2 shore dives required a run to the dive shop and loosing my parking spot. They were heavy hiking up the stairs after the dive and were high maintenance.

The wide spread availability of HP steel tanks now days makes for a cheaper, lighter, simpler system and swapping tanks is fast.

I don't think overhead will be a significant issue. I believe the shop I use will allow me to fill as a single tank, and I'm already in it for two tanks for vis and hydro.

The OP is solo diving, so in his case, redundancy is vital.

Redundancy is important, so I'd like an isolater valve. Thanks to a post I read by Jim Lapenta, I use a mirror to do bubble checks. Assuming I head this direction, I would no doubt get some training or mentor-ship to learn the valve drills and whatever else is required.

I am fascinated by the vintage equipment, and have dived backpack style and enjoyed it. I am not confident enough to do that solo. :D

Lets please not get distracted by "solo" controversy. Those questions can be asked in a new post.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Redundancy is important, so I'd like an isolater valve. Thanks to a post I read by Jim Lapenta, I use a mirror to do bubble checks. Assuming I head this direction, I would no doubt get some training or mentor-ship to learn the valve drills and whatever else is required.

The lack of an isolator valve does not prohibit redundancy. The isolator will only make a difference if you have a catastrophic loss of gas via the valve itself or at the manifold. If you have a failure at either regulator, you can still shut down the regulator itself, you just can't isolate tank 1 from tank 2.

N

What does that have to do with anything? The OP asked for advice on the appropriate equipment configuration for his style of diving, which is mostly solo. If you are happy to dive to 60 feet without a redundant gas source, you go for it. Just because you have got away with it for so long does not make it safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom