Question Hog Total Buoyancy Control System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelGas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I recently bought the above Tech BCD in Large, but have not used it yet. There is a pinned thread called " The Ultimate wing lift calculator in this sub forum, but it is a thread going back to 2006 and the links and attachments are non working. If anyone has this wing calculator thye can send to me I would appreciate that.
So I will ask my lift questions here.

I bought the Hog 32 lb wing with soft plate and 6 weight and utility pockets and have the following set up configuration questions:

Will this 32 lb. wing support a Steel 100 main tank, an AL80 sling tank and an AL30 pony tank, while diving with a 3MM wet suit ?

Will this 32 lb wing support double AL80's, if I bought a SS hardplate for this wing ?

For about $425-450 I can buy the Hog 60 lb wing, SS backplate and backplate pad, to dive with double 120's or am I better off getting a whole 'nother BCD with 60 lb wing or likely dual 60 lb wings for around $1,050-1,100 for a Trimix class I am intending to do ?

How does the Quality of the Hog product compare to similar product from ScubaPro, Dive Rite or Hollis ?

Thanks.

I have the HOG 32 wing. I find it well built - very comparable to the Oxycheq, OMS, and Hollis wings that I have and much more cost-efficient if buying new.

It is suitable for a single back mounted tank - no BM doubles, it is too narrow.

For me, I would not dive it with more than a Steel 100 and the pony. To some degree that depends on which Steel 100, which AL30, and which AL80. Going worst case on my tank reference sheet, you could be 21lbs negative just for the tanks before factoring in 3 regulators, backplate, and other gear + weights which pushes it too close to the theoretical lift for my comfort. I hate being at the surface without being able to get my head up out of the water if I want.

That said, It performs fine with my PST HP-3500 100s and 120s (-8 & -10 full) with Luxfer AL19 or AL40 pony ( -1 +/- full) when diving in an older 7mm with about 12lbs weight on a softpack or lightweight SS Freedom Plate. I'm now using a Hollis SMS100 dual-bladder 40lb because I've become a redundant-lift fanatic, but I'm keeping the Hog 32 for warm water travel purposes.

For my PST HP-3500 100 Doubles, I was using the Oxycheq 52lb redundant doubles wing before I blew my back out a year ago. Not selling that, but if you happen to need a 60lb OMS Horseshoe Bungee Doubles wing I'll make you a deal ...

Yes on the single.
No on the doubles (needs to be wider else it's squashed under the tanks).

The 60 lb doubles wing is on the large side. (I use a 45 lb doubles wing with LP85s, drysuit/60*F, 2x AL40 and 1x AL80 stage. The gas only weighs 27 lb, and trimix will be even lighter.)

Back
Top Bottom