Considering Hanging it up...but...what to do after scuba??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... I was looking at less gear, not more ...
I love my PST HP80 (3,500 psig) cylinders because they are so small. I was driving a Fiat Spyder 2000 convertible at the time I purchased them new (in 1988), and they easily fit in its tiny trunk with my MO/AR wetsuit diving gear (full 1/4" two piece wetsuit with hood and booties and coldwater gloves). Relatively lightweight (~29 lbs empty with valve), relatively small (~20" tall; 7.25" OD), and adequate capacity (82 ft^3 @ 3,500 psig; 94 ft^3 @ 4,000 psig) for a moderate depth, recreational dive.

An HP80 with a simple backpack, nylon harness, and single regulator make for a tidy, tiny, simple package!

One of its potential downsides, its negative buoyancy empty, is actually a benefit to you since you are diving cold, Pacific Northwest waters.

Another of its potential downsides, its short, 20" length (which means reaching the valve knob will be difficult for taller divers), suggests you should stay really practiced at doffing and donning your scuba at depth.

Another tidy, tiny, simple package I like for colder water, moderate depth, rec diving replaces the HP80 with an OMS/Faber LP66 (21" tall, 7.0" OD, 66 ft^3 @ 2,600 psig, or 75^3 ft @ 3,000). But, this cylinder is NOT galvanized.

rx7diver

You mean like the owners of YSS Dive? They have a nice little hidey hole up the road from their shop.
No, an even cooler guy

I love my PST HP80 (3,500 psig) cylinders because they are so small. I was driving a Fiat Spyder 2000 convertible at the time I purchased them new (in 1988), and they easily fit in its tiny trunk with my MO/AR wetsuit diving gear (full 1/4" two piece wetsuit with hood and booties and coldwater gloves). Relatively lightweight (~29 lbs empty with valve), relatively small (~20" tall; 7.25" OD), and adequate capacity (82 ft^3 @ 3,500 psig; 94 ft^3 @ 4,000 psig) for a moderate depth, recreational dive.

An HP80 with a simple backpack, nylon harness, and single regulator make for a tidy, tiny, simple package!

One of its potential downsides, its negative buoyancy empty, is actually a benefit to you since you are diving cold, Pacific Northwest waters.

Another of its potential downsides, its short, 20" length (which means reaching the valve knob will be difficult for taller divers), suggests you should stay really practiced at doffing and donning your scuba at depth.

Another tidy, tiny, simple package I like for colder water, moderate depth, rec diving replaces the HP80 with an OMS/Faber LP66 (21" tall, 7.0" OD, 66 ft^3 @ 2,600 psig, or 75^3 ft @ 3,000). But, this cylinder is NOT galvanized.

rx7diver
Well, if I continue diving...it will be with SM and those tanks are too short for that, IMHO.

I am still waiting to get them LP50s....

Well, if I continue diving...it will be with SM and those tanks are too short for that, IMHO.

I am still waiting to get them LP50s....
I agree: Too short for SM, probably. A Faber LP50 (25" tall, the same height as an old-school 72) would seem better for that application (I'm guessing).

Don't forget the OMS/Faber LP46, which is a bit shorter than a LP50, but not as short as a LP66 (or HP80). Post #1 in the thread New Faber LP50's shows a pic that compares the LP46 and LP50.

rx7diver

Motorcycles.

Alternative drug habit that is equally as costly as technical diving.

New track tires makes an 18/45 fill look economical.

1666825460699.jpeg

Alternative drug habit that is equally as costly as technical diving.

New track tires makes an 18/45 fill look economical.

Yup. I love my Italian motorcycles. My first bike was a Guzzi and I currently have two Guzzis and a Ducati Elefant in the stable.
elefant.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom