Considering a wrist dump... really!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
The Set Up:
On a 3 dayer this weekend, my neck seal rips beyond repair. Fortunately, someone else on the trip was my size, so I borrowed their suit for the remaining day of diving.

Their suit had a shoulder dump, like mine. But it was in a funky place - more on the bicep than the tricep. So in proper trim, chickenwinging it didn't work. In fact, it was sticky, so when I broke trim to get very so I could dump, about half the time it wouldn't dump.

On one dive, I was in a groove...doing a clow ascend in as close to good trim as my feeble skills allow, and it wouldn't dump, and I was starting to go all Macy's Day parade. So I get vert, and reach up to do a wrist seal dump.... nothing.

DUH!!! my compass is bungee'd to my forearm.

Then it hits me... A forearm dump would be really neat, and I'm thinking about hard now (even tho my suit dumps fine through its correctly placed shoulder dump.)

The Question:

I like the idea of a forearm dump, whereby I nudge up a bit from trim, raise my hand and dump as I do a hoz ascent. How does your compass impact your dump? Do you wear it between the valve and seal? I like mine back a bit...

Also - you can't simply take the huge shoulder dump and place it on the wrist, right? Do they make a 3/4 size for this purpose? Not that I'd do the mod myself - just curious.

Thanks -

K

I have TLS350 SS with a forearm dump.

It has the standard Apeks low profile valve on the forearm, there is plenty of space between the valve and the rings for my drygloves for my compass. Doing it again I'd probably go with the cuff dump rather than the variable dump.

In our Rec Triox class this weekend Andrew G was sporting his new FifthD/Diving Concepts suit with a really small cuff dump, really nice looking suit.

I was just speaking with someone this AM about it - but only in general terms. I understand DC has a new design - supposed to be really different - new zipper routing, arm / leg gussetts, etc. What can you tell me about it?

Thanks

Excuse me while I hijack my own thread.... :bonk:

It was a compressed Neo Suit, the Zipper is the same as the Andies Fifth-D suit, there are a lot of changes in the "cut" over a standard DC suit.

Talking to Mike and Andrew about it they said they started by looking at how Rock Climbing gear was cut, since it was a sport that required a wide range of motion.

My assumption is that this version of the DC suit is a fifthD exclusive, I'm sure MHK can correct me.

I think the price was $1500-$1600 for a custom cut suit. If I hadn't just bought my DUI I'd be sorely tempted, Andrews suit had a much better range of motion than anything else I've seen.

I've been pouring through the archives here.

I said wrist dump...the more I think abotu this, the more I think a forearm dump may be beter.... as the compass will be below the valve that way. I hadn't thought about the differences / advantages between a wrist ("cuff") and a forearm dump.

Seeing as I don't scooter, I don't hunt or photo (I'm pretty much the most boring diver there is) there are likely things I'm not considering.

Thoughts?

K

Ken,
I am in the process of replacing my current drysuit with a fifthd/Diving Concepts one. Having the "cuff dump" is a one of the reasons I have decided to upgrade-the others being the increased range of motion and zipper location. During the DIR-F class I realized that my current suit was the cause of much of my frustrations. I'm not sure how long it will take to get made at this point. Should be several weeks. I'll post a review of the suit after several dives on it. Since your local to me your more than welcome to check it out for yourself when it arrives.
Christopher

I have an Apex cuff dump on my Oceanic Aeruda Ti. A cuff dump works great as far as ease of dumping air, and interestingly, can dump the same or more than an auto or manual dump (read this in a Diving Concepts) In my case though, the cuff dump leaks water into the suit - nothing major but enough to slightly dampen the sleeve. I was told by the dry suit mfg that this was a common problem and to solve it, just appply glue around the fabric and the dump itself. I did and it worked but not 100% dry. Apeks replied saying that there should be no leakage but recommends a shoulder auto dump because they are spring loaded and therefore gives a better seal - so read btw the lines, they know it leaks. My personal preference is having a forearm dump.

I like those Neo Z by DC! I'd like one...

...sported by red-haired beatnik guy on the BAUE site.

Looks like the full sized, low-pro Apeks dump on my DUI shoulder, just mounted Popeye style.

Hmmmm.....

I ran back through the exposure suit room (the archives) about 25 or 30 threads... there's some good stuff in there. Too funny.

Still smoking on matters....

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom