Do the plastic washers in trilam drysuits need grease?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently took the the wrist dump valve off my trilaminate dry suit and when I did, I noticed that on the inside of the suit, there was a lightweight, semi flexible plastic washer between the suit and the back piece of the valve itself. When handling it felt very slightly greasy.

Similar thing when I took off the inflation valve - a plastic washer was being held in place on the inside surface of the suit here also.

Anyway I replaced both the valves, everything seemed to work fine. I did notice a bit more water on my left wrist where the dump valve is than usual - I don't use dry gloves so it could have just been a poor seal on that particular dive, but it got me wondering if I should regrease those plastic washers?

Typically not needed, but wouldn’t hurt if applied. Lack of or presence of a very light amount of grease should not be contributing to a leak. Did you get the valve tightened firmly on the suit and if any witness marks or grooves on the suit or ring, were they aligned correctly with the rings on the valve?

Typically not needed, but wouldn’t hurt if applied. Lack of or presence of a very light amount of grease should not be contributing to a leak. Did you get the valve tightened firmly on the suit and if any witness marks or grooves on the suit or ring, were they aligned correctly with the rings on the valve?
Definitely screwed back on nice and tight, didn't skip a thread or anything. I always get a bit of water on both wrists so I think it was probably just the siliflex wrist seal sort of bunch up against the neoprene glove or something. I'll apply a small amount of grease out of curiosity because why not I suppose.

The washer is there so when you tighten the valve you do not distort the suit fabric and hinder sealing

Do not grease it is not required and may be detrimental to your dry suit and complicate future repairs

If you are desperate to lubricate use saliva or water

I have found I get a better seal with lube.

Back
Top Bottom