Drysuit shoulder dumps: Apeks vs Si-Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Typical overtighten valve issue.
IMHO. I hate Si Tech valves. I knew hatred when i try to overhaul Si Tech dump valves on my buddy's rebreather.
Such a poorly designed piece of s..t. It cannot be totally disassembled. And imagine - there's a plastic spring washer.
Dump valve also cannot be totally disassembled to replace rotational o-ring.
Apeks valves - both, dump and inflate - are made much better, also with disassembly issues, but you can service it on your own.
It was new on a new made to measure suit, plastic is paper thin. I checked to see how easy it would break and was very surprised at how easy it was. The plastic is only 1.2mm thick. Keep a check on valves in the corner at the treads especially when they come new on a suit, your most likely correct, someone was a little overzealous when fitting it.

Attachments

• IMG_0009.jpeg
    IMG_0009.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 72
I can't add anything from experience as I'm only starting to look into drysuits myself. From reading various posts about them, I gathered that the Apeks high profile valves seem to work better. It's what I'm looking at getting.

I was thinking about making the switch from apeks to sitech myself. the siteck fits the rubber gasket on the outside, but the diameter is a bit smaller than the apeks. Is this going to cause a problem with sealing?

I was thinking about making the switch from apeks to sitech myself. the siteck fits the rubber gasket on the outside, but the diameter is a bit smaller than the apeks. Is this going to cause a problem with sealing?
I swapped the low profile Apeks dump for a Si-Tech high profile dump on my Santi suit last week. Tested it in a pool then did two x two hour dives this weekend. Definitely fits without leaking.

To confirm, the suit had Apeks fittings and the Si-Tech is a good fit BUT must be centred before tightening (there's a ridge in the suit pad which fits a groove in both Apeks and Si-Tech). The threads are different sizes - Apeks 37mm, Si-Tech 33mm.

It was wonderful to hear the familiar bubbling from the Si-Tech as it reliably dumped. Personally, am glad to see the back of the Apeks; really didn't get on with it.

Confidence restored, a happy bunny.

I swapped the low profile Apeks dump for a Si-Tech high profile dump on my Santi suit last week. Tested it in a pool then did two x two hour dives this weekend. Definitely fits without leaking.

To confirm, the suit had Apeks fittings and the Si-Tech is a good fit BUT must be centred before tightening (there's a ridge in the suit pad which fits a groove in both Apeks and Si-Tech. The threads are different sizes - Apeks 37mm, Si-Tech 33mm.

It was wonderful to hear the familiar bubbling from the Si-Tech as it reliably dumped. Personally, am glad to see the back of the Apeks; really didn't get on with it.

Confidence restored, a happy bunny.
Good to hear that you have managed to get it sorted - one less thing to worry about!

And that's before you realize the Apeks low profile can't keep water out to save their life :wink:
In my experience this hasn't been the case for about 15 years (on at least 4 different drysuits).

Keep them clean of salt build-up periodically and they are just fine.

I have to close down my high profile Apex dump a few clicks to stop it dumping all the gas from my suit.
I wonder if mine was a bit 'tight'. The problem was I lost confidence in it after having real issues dumping it. Swapping for my old Si-Tech just worked. I've no interest in testing the old dump.

I wonder if mine was a bit 'tight'. The problem was I lost confidence in it after having real issues dumping it. Swapping for my old Si-Tech just worked. I've no interest in testing the old dump.
The last thing anyone needs on a deep CCR dive is a drysuit dump valve that won't dump!

The Apeks low profile dumps are definitely lower profile than the Si-Tech ones, making getting in and out of harnesses easier. But what's the point if they don't work.

Am very interested in other people's opinions on drysuit dumps, especially in cold water with thicker undersuits.
I have the Apeks low profile valve on a new fitted to me Seaskin drysuit. When I tried it out with the fitted to me Seaskin 250 thinsulate undergarment, it was really hard to force an exhaust. I tried it again with a thinner DUI thinsulate undergarment and duct tape on the arm under the exhaust. Worked perfectly and the same as the Sitech on my other drysuit, which has a looser fit. The next step would be to try the thicker undergarment with duct tape on the arm. I think the combination of a more form fitting shell and a loftier undergarment can lead to obstruction of the Apeks valve. I don’t know if this would be the same for a Sitech valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom