Drysuit shoulder dumps: Apeks vs Si-Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wibble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have a new drysuit which has the Apeks low profile shoulder dump fitted. I’m really not getting on with it as it seems hard to dump, certainly in comparison with my previous suit's Si-Tech dump.

The good news is it appears you can swap over an Apeks dump for a Si-Tech which fits the backing pad.

What’s other people's opinions on this?

I find that the Apeks dump only seems to work by doing a large body movement, sometimes going out of flat trim to near vertical before it finally burps. This is with the “sensitivity” wound completely out (anti-clockwise).

There are different nuts for the Apeks some which block with undergarments less than others

Si-Techs are certainly stronger - I found out how fragile the Apeks ones are the hard way... NDiver are even worse...

The Apeks low profile dumps are definitely lower profile than the Si-Tech ones, making getting in and out of harnesses easier. But what's the point if they don't work.

Am very interested in other people's opinions on drysuit dumps, especially in cold water with thicker undersuits.

The Apeks low profile dumps are definitely lower profile than the Si-Tech ones, making getting in and out of harnesses easier. But what's the point if they don't work.
And that's before you realize the Apeks low profile can't keep water out to save their life :wink:

And that's before you realize the Apeks low profile can't keep water out to save their life :wink:
Not a fan then :)

What do you think about its dumping abilities? What's your favoured drysuit dump valve?

Maybe he had one of these on his crush neo, could dump and that's why he thought the suit was 'gripping' him. 🤣

Maybe he had one of these on his crush neo, could dump and that's why he thought the suit was 'gripping' him. 🤣
If you've nothing useful to add, say nothing.

Could it be a difference in the position of the valves in the suit rather than a difference in the valves themselves?

I suit I borrowed why mine was in for repair had the valve about an inch more towards my inner arm and I had to roll and lift my arm a lot more in order to vent it. In this case both valves were SI-Tech.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom