Considerations around switching to a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

th
th

Welcome to my SandM party.

Last edited:
I think that a bp/w with one plate and a single wing will be considerably less than a Hydros but if you need more than one plate or wing it will be pretty close.
A Hydros is around $800, and a fully outfitted quality BP/W is around $500.
Is there maybe a difference between the US vs. UK? The Hydros Pro is £509 here, and e.g. a Dive Rite BP/W is pretty much the same (Halcyon quite a bit more). Price is not the most important consideration though. I'm even willing to pay a bit more if it's worth it.

As the resident expert on this board has said you can find the bp/w for cold water and tropical diving next to the exposure protection for tropical and cold water.
That would be one of my problems with a BP/W. I just don't have the volume of dives that justifies switching around Wings. If I do 30 warm water dives abroad and want to do another 10 dives or so in the UK, I just want to have to buy another wing for that. While a back inflate might arguable less ideal for anything, it would work just fine.

Yeah the weight pockets look goofy but if it looks complicated I gotta wonder.

@rombre

#1 With practice and experience, your weight requirement will come down. I presume your current 16lbs in a 3mm is with an AL80? In comparison me at 6'3, & 95kg dive a plate less wing, and with an AL 80 take 2lb.

A poodle jacket is inherently buoyant so you could lose 4-6lbs straight away

#2 Harnesses aren't uncomfortable (even though they look it, they are easy to get in and out of as the shoulder straps aren't tight (you should get a fist underneath) All the "work" is done by the crotch strap

#3 I personally use a Dive rite voyager bladder which has 36lbs lift. I "feel" better at the surface and I generally dive 15l steels which suit it nicely. Although a 30/32lb wing would be fine. My set up works with AL80 on vacation with a 3mm through to a 15L steel and Drysuit.

#4 You can put integrated weight pouches on your waist belt, Apex make a nice set (I used to have a set on my first wing while I still needed weight). For additional weight you can use trim pockets on the tank cam bands (I have 2 on each band)

#5 Comfort harnesses. You don't need one. The Apex one isn't adjustable for shoulder length so steer clear unless you can get it fitted - Simlar with the Scuba Pro version (I use a Dive Rite comfort harness but it doesn't take a plate) for the winter when I need weight on for a drysuit, I now just move the bladder to a rig Hogarthian rig with SS plate

#6 Tanks are kept in place by 2 cam bands (rather than 1) never had one come loose.

#7 for bladders, I'd recommend (from personal use) Dive Rite, Apex, or Frog (which is a UK brand)

#8 A wing with a SS plate isn't going to weigh that much (I take mine every where and I don't travel light). My gear comes in at around 20kg including a spare reg set and tools. Choose your airline carefully as you can get sporting good allowance. Unless you slap on a lot on heavy SS D-rings, its only going to be 1 kg more than a jacket (ish)

I presume your current 16lbs in a 3mm is with an AL80? In comparison me at 6'3, & 95kg dive a plate less wing, and with an AL 80 take 2lb.
Sorry, yes, that's for 12l/15l AL tanks (i.e. ~AL80/100). I am as tall as you, but a bit heavier.

#3 I personally use a Dive rite voyager bladder which has 36lbs lift. I "feel" better at the surface and I generally dive 15l steels which suit it nicely. Although a 30/32lb wing would be fine. My set up works with AL80 on vacation with a 3mm through to a 15L steel and Drysuit.
That sounds good - that's about the flexibility I was looking for.

That sounds good - that's about the flexibility I was looking for.

Just done a quick price check for you. Used Dive Life .co .uk

Apex WTX40 PSD (40lb wing, PSD means it's used tougher materials for public service divers) £244

Apex SS plate £95
Apex One piece Harness (4m of solid 2" webbing with center grommet 2"wide crotch strap 6 stainless 2" D-rings Includes neoprene shoulder protectors 2 elastic retaining loops on shoulders and one on crotch strap Heavy duty stainless waist buckle 6 stainless serrated retainers ) £45

Apex Sure Lock weight pockets £77
Sure lock pocket attachments £41

Grand Total inc VAt without any Haggle discount £502 :yeahbaby:

Custom diver quick fit weight pockets (to go on your cam band) £19 ea. Mine have been abused for over 400 dives and are going strong

some points on the op. originally tried to quote but it was acting weird.

Hydros will not be anywhere near as flexible as a bp/w. You can easily use the same rig for warm water and cold water diving. 30lb wing should be more than sufficient unless you get a 7mm farmer john *not recommended btw*.

It is unlikely to be that much lighter than a SS plate, maybe a pound?

Integrated weights can be threaded onto any bp/w. Link obviously isn't in the UK, but the pockets here are all universal.
BC Accessory Pockets | Dive Gear Express®

Definitely not cheaper unless you have strange pricing in the UK. Here in the US, ~$500 is the most you should spend on a BP/W, Hydros Pro is $840. That obviously is without any pockets, but you aren't going to spend $350 on pockets....

Hog harness is anything but uncomfortable, especially in any sort of wetsuit, and because the straps are resin impregnated they hold their form, so getting into the rig is typically easier.

Chest strap is not necessary if the harness fits properly because the shoulder straps are kept loose.

Tank valve strap is not necessary if the BC has 2 cam bands. It is used primarily to keep the tank from rocking forward and backwards on your back when it pivots due to the single cam band and the small back pads. The tank falling out is doubly a function of having a single cam band, and improper gear preparation. Nylon stretches considerably when wet and if you don't get the rig wet before you put the cam band over the tank, and properly tighten down the strap, the tank's going to fall out

I currently have ~ 40 dives (all in rented jacket BCDs) and am currently considering buying my first BCD. I've taken a liking to the new Scubapro Hydros Pro but all the praise in this forum has made me consider a BP/W as an alternative. I have read loads of threads on this topic but wanted to run my thoughts / remaining questions by you.

So far every review I have read on the Hydros Pro has been excellent and some of those reviews have been from die hard BP/W users. Even know one guy who is selling his BP/W and going with the HP. If possible, I'd test both out before purchasing.

I agree. Look at both and see which is right for you.

Hydros will not be anywhere near as flexible as a bp/w. You can easily use the same rig for warm water and cold water diving. 30lb wing should be more than sufficient unless you get a 7mm farmer john *not recommended btw*.
That's what I was hoping for! If one 30lb wing can cover both, that makes it very interesting.

Definitely not cheaper unless you have strange pricing in the UK. Here in the US, ~$500 is the most you should spend on a BP/W, Hydros Pro is $840. That obviously is without any pockets, but you aren't going to spend $350 on pockets....
Resolved in the meantime, I think. Pricing in the UK is indeed different compared to the US. The Hydros Pro is $550+tax here, so apparently a lot cheaper than in the US while BP/Ws seem to be a bit more expensive.

Thanks a also for all your strap explanations - very helpful!

So far every review I have read on the Hydros Pro has been excellent and some of those reviews have been from die hard BP/W users. Even know one guy who is selling his BP/W and going with the HP. If possible, I'd test both out before purchasing.
I agree. Look at both and see which is right for you.
Unfortunately no dive shop here let's you test any gear before you buy. Given that the Hydros is also pretty new (and actually still hard to get as constantly sold out), I would have to buy without trying it.

Back
Top Bottom