Considerations around switching to a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All that aside, forever bp/wing user here, I loath the bent style "tech" plates for single tank diving. They were designed and intended for doubles and at best adapted to singles.

N

All that aside, forever bp/wing user here, I loath the bent style "tech" plates for single tank diving. They were designed and intended for doubles and at best adapted to singles.

N

I know no better as I own one, and haven't used any other brand of conventional BP, but I hear DSS has a different bend angle intended to be single tank friendlier. Truth be told, I also enjoy my VDH "Vintage" plate...

+ Overall likely cheaper than a good BP/W

Wing
Is there a sweet spot that might work in my case for all 3 scenarios (3mm / 7mm / dry) also considering my relatively heavy weights. I.e. could a 30 lbs work for all that or would I have to look at buying 2 wings for that?
DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba <-that's 314 pounds, and free shipping to you. I stumbled across that the other day.

As far as the wing, you can get wings that are singles and doubles compatible with plenty of lift - maybe a dive rite rec wing?

I know no better as I own one, and haven't used any other brand of conventional BP, but I hear DSS has a different bend angle intended to be single tank friendlier. Truth be told, I also enjoy my VDH "Vintage" plate...

the DSS plates are much flatter and better optimized for singles. The original backplates were designed for doubles, and adapted back to singles. Hence the Single Tank Adapter... Which mounts a single tank to the plate in the exact same manner as a set of doubles, sandwich the wing between the plate and the tank with bolts. Some other manufacturers started putting anti-roll devices on their wings to remove the need for the STA, but I think the DSS rigs are the only ones that are really unique in how they mount a single tank to their rig.

It is not just that the doubles tech plates teeter the tank on top of the bend but also that the top camband sits on the shoulder of the tank unless the tank is hiked up much too far such that it bangs the back of the head.

N

I dive BP & Wing. One thing that people said and I never believed is that the webbing is comfortable.

It is! Honestly I have just plain old webbing and no backpad and it feel absolutely fine. I never struggle getting in or out.

Plus it's so tough it'll last forever. I say go for it. Get a stainless steel plate and normal webbing harness. Then later is you really feel you need to put clips in you can buy them and fit them. But you absolutely won't.

I would say get a 40lb wing if you plan to do cold water.

I use halcyon and I would say don't bother with the cinch. Just get a normal plate and wing. a single tank adapter and away you go.

Honestly I think it's the best way to go.

Less is more when it comes to the BC. Ideally it "disappears" underwater, and this is best achieved with a simple webbing harness, no chest strap, and a rigid plate on the back that stabilizes the tank. Anything extra on the chest and torso area feels like clutter in the water, at least to me. It seems that the big manufacturers just can't resist putting more stuff on their BCs, evidently to give the salesmen more "stuff" to talk about in a dive shop showroom. Too bad dive shop showrooms aren't underwater; it would allow customers to evaluate the gear in the environment in which its used, and would have the added benefit of shutting up the salesmen!

It is not just that the doubles tech plates teeter the tank on top of the bend but also that the top camband sits on the shoulder of the tank unless the tank is hiked up much too far such that it bangs the back of the head.

N

No true with all designs. Single tanks can "Teeter" if the wing is bolted to the back plate. The *point* of contact between the cylinder and the plate is only at the bolt heads. DSS wing and plates eliminate these bolts, no bolts, no pivot point. In addition the DSS "Wobble Stopper" provides a elastomeric, compressible saddle for the cylinder. The DSS wobble stopper has always been a feature of our single wings.

Using a Single tank adapter with slots only at the extreme ends of the adapter can very much limit the range of tank positions possible. The DSS direct mount (no STA) places the top camband lower on the plate allowing for a much greater range of tank adjustment.

Tobin

I used a SS plate(no name brand) + 30lbs DR wing + neoprene dry suit + 12kg on a weight belt diving the wrecks at Scapa Flow. The simple harness is DIY.
A used SS plate, 30lbs wing and harness(DIY) should be cheaper than a jacket BC but with added flexibility.

My only remaining reservation re: BP/W is the flexibility. As I am mostly diving when travelling, I have a huge variety of suits / tanks I am diving with (AL 12L to Steel 15L tanks; 3mm – 7mm wetsuits – soon also drysuit). I can just buy a BCD and use it for all sorts of diving – I will be ok in any sort of exposure suit / with any kind of tank.

I am currently trying to figure out what lift would be required from a wing for different scenarios.

I am assuming the following (please let me know if there’s sth. that doesn’t make sense / my numbers are not right):

A) Lift required to float equipment with full tank

BP/W with SS plate: 6 lbs
Regulator: 2 lbs
AL80 (full): 2 lbs
Total: ~10 lbs

Maximum case would be:
LP100 (full): 7 lbs (increment) -> Total of c.17 lbs

=> Required wing size of ~20 lbs

B) Compensate for maximum change in buoyancy

The tail end there would be a drysuit I assume (if we only look at 3mm / 5mm / 7mm {one-piece}))?
I found ~ 20-24 lbs for the total buoyancy as an indication which – in the very worst case of a total breakdown – would need to be fully compensated.

=> Required wing size of ~25 lbs

My conclusion would therefore be, that a 30 lbs wing would cover everything from AL80 to LP100 and 3mm over 7mm to drysuit. Does this make sense?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom