Confused and need clarification -Atomic T1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kcjones01

Reaction score
Ok I'm relatively new to diving compared to some on these boards. Was at a LDS dive shop that sells Aqualung. We are looking for the first reg. for my wife. Looking at the Titan LX with ABS octo. Also looking at another LDS at a Oceanic Delta 4. Still tyring to determine which one to buy her.

I have Atomic T1 and oceanic octo. Talking with the owner of the LDS while looking at the Aqualung he proceeded to tell me that he would not use a Atomic or any piston regulator. He told me that not only is the T1 not capable of Nitrox even up to 40% like most other titanium regs. but that the piston design is not really a good design.

So this is where you learn all the stuff they don't teach you in basic PADI certification.
I try and read as much as I can and talk with different people to educate myself but for some reason I have two LDS operators with totally different views and I'm not experienced enough to be comfortable sorting out all the info.

If the a piston design is not that good why does Atomic alwyas rate so high in tests?

Why do they call it "over-balanced diaphragm"

what really is the difference between a sealed 1st stage and unsealed 1st stage.

I'd really like to hear from some experienced divers to help me understand.

Thanks is advance.

The person representing the LDS is incorrect in his statements.

May I suggest that you ask the LDS representative where, in any Atomic specs or literature, is it stated that the T1 is
not Nitrox compatible.

the K

You might read the following site that will give you a pretty good (and seemingly unbiased) explanation of some of the technology:

http://www.regtechscuba.com/reg.views.htm

I am not going to bash any particular equipment but I am pretty happy with my Atomic Regulator. I did, however, get my first stage sealed (much to the dismay of the person who does my regulator servicing).

There is a lot of misinformation out there about titanium regulators since NASA posted something about the incompatibilty of Oxygen and Titanium.

All Atomic Regulators are Nitrox compatible up to 40% some can go higher. I would not be looking for a T1 however since the current model is the T2. T1's have been sitting on the shelf for a while if they are available.

What you get with a T2 is only the convenience of being able to carry 1 more pound of something if you're flying.

Just remember, if you lose 1 pound by buying a T2 at about twice the price of a B2, you'll just have to add 1 pound back to your weight belt.

Just imagine how much weight you could take from your belt if your first stage weighed 10 pounds!!!

Of course there could be some trim issues.

In my considered opinion, based upon an undergraduate and master's degree in marketing, the T1 or T2 is nothing more than conspicuous consumption.

But that is my opinion, and I'm quite sure it's not shared by all.

the K

Depending:
There is a lot of misinformation out there about titanium regulators since NASA posted something about the incompatibility of Oxygen and Titanium.

All Atomic Regulators are Nitrox compatible up to 40% some can go higher. I would not be looking for a T1 however since the current model is the T2. T1's have been sitting on the shelf for a while if they are available.

Your statement relative to the T2 is incorrect. Atomic puts a bright label on every T2 box that states that the purchaser must make a decision at time of purchase as to whether the regulator will be used for NITROX or air and only use it with that gas mixture. for the life of the regulator.

I agree with Kraken that twice the price is crazy for the T2. I went with the B2 which has an identical second stage and can be used with both NITROX and air. IN other words, it does not have the same restriction that the T2 has and costs substantially less. I believe the weight difference is 8 ounces which is not worth twice the price and more restrictions.

"I would not be looking for a T1 however since the current model is the T2. T1's have been sitting on the shelf for a while if they are available"

The above statement is incorrect. The T1 is the Titanium 1st stage. The T2 is a chrome plated brass first stage. Both are current, the T1 is not older than the T2.

Yeah, the nomenclature for these regs can be a little confusing.

When I bought my Atomic some years ago, I think it was referred to as the B2/T1 . . . brass first stage with titanium second stage.

the K

ok guys....
FIRST, the T2 is the NEW model and is Titanium 1st and 2nd Stages and compatible with up to 40% Nitroix.
2) the T1 is no longer available (old Model) the difference between T1 & T2 is Enviromental seal on the T2 1st stage, making it more compatible to colder water.
3) All Atomic Regs breath almost the same.
4) The B2 has a Brass/Chrome plated 1st stage, and Titanium 2nd. Both have swivel hose for comfort.
5) A REALLY good reason to pay the difference between the B2 and the T2(or T1/T1x) would be that the first stage would resist the wear and tear while being less corrisive compared to the Brass first; for example say someone like me who used it 227 times in a year(2005) in the POOL and Ocean. Plus, you can show it to Kraken....
6) the Atomic Regs usually out breath all other regs in all the test.
7) All Atomics are Balanced Flow Thru Piston designed for less maintinence and higher reliability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom