Common Practice??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emcbride81:
This thread brings up a curious thought as to how many times you may have been diving with a buddy you met on the boat who may not be certified. I know it would be taboo to ask to see a C card on the boat, it is assumed everyone their is certified. But assuming has killed more than one of us. What are your thoughts? Would you dive with someone who was not cert. and you knew it? I am not sure what I would do, though the situation would not likely arise.
No, I would not dive with a diver that was not certified as my buddy. Not because that diver neccesarilly is a bad diver, but because I, as the one that IS certified, would be held responsible if something went wrong...
And besides, if a dive op let you go on the dive boat, that means youre certified, right? Atleast Ill continue to assume so, for liability reasons..

Originally Posted by Articdiver.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I met a guy the other day who, when he discovered I was a diver, informed me he was also. He said he didn't dive cold water, only warm and that Hawaii was his favorite dive location. I asked how much diving he was able to do in a year. His reply was that he only got in 5-10 dives a year.

Then he proceeded to tell me that he was not certified, had never been certified and that "I know a Dive Master over there on XXXX who just lets me borrow gear so I can dive". As far as I'm concerned this is an injury or fatality just waiting to happen.

This is not the first time I've run into someone with a variation of this story. So, either this is a fairly common practice, or it is a fairly common tale.

Which?

Hey, I did several take offs and landings around 1985 in a Piper Cherokee. Does that make me a pilot?:D

> Hey, I did several take offs and landings around 1985 in a Piper Cherokee. Does that make me a pilot?

If you are flying a plane, then by definition, you are a pilot. I'm not sure what happens after you land. :wink:

Seuss:
> Hey, I did several take offs and landings around 1985 in a Piper Cherokee. Does that make me a pilot?

If you are flying a plane, then by definition, you are a pilot. I'm not sure what happens after you land. :wink:
Don't know ... but many who fly F-18s do so without an FAA Pilot's License.

Thalassamania:
Don't know ... but many who fly F-18s do so without an FAA Pilot's License.

This is true, but the military pilots are trained and do have a license to fly. Just not a FAA license

northen diver:
This is true, but the military pilots are trained and do have a license to fly. Just not a FAA license
I don't think that they have a "license," per se just as some divers may not have a "certification."

The problem with flying (kinda like with diving) is that there are many certification levels.. If you want to fly a jumbojet you need a commercial aviation license (lets call that full cave), not the microplane license (ow). The main difference would probably be that pilots, especially when it comes to commercial flights probably (hopefully?) have a more efficient control system..

Tigerman:
The problem with flying (kinda like with diving) is that there are many certification levels.. If you want to fly a jumbojet you need a commercial aviation license (lets call that full cave), not the microplane license (ow). The main difference would probably be that pilots, especially when it comes to commercial flights probably (hopefully?) have a more efficient control system..

That's not a good analogy. You only need a commercial aviation license if you plan on getting paid for your efforts. The analogy might work for commercial diving, not for cave diving. You can have a private aviation licence and pay for the type certifications your pocket can afford.
Commercial flight training and equipment is very much focussed on productivity and safety.
Cave diving is probably more akin to military flying where you are pushing the limits of the envelope but with significant focus on recovering when things go wrong as they often do when margins are smaller.

Tigerman:
No, I would not dive with a diver that was not certified as my buddy. Not because that diver neccesarilly is a bad diver, but because I, as the one that IS certified, would be held responsible if something went wrong...

Can you reference a legal precedent to support that?

Portions of the industry use cards to decide who they will or won't sell certain products or services to. If you are a dive shop or instructor, your insurance policy will require you to adhere to agency standards.

I am under no contractual obligation to do any such thing as far as I know. My limited knowledge of tort law (is that the right term?) is that I am responsible for acting as a resonably prudent person in any given situation. If my failure to do so results in damages to another, I can be held liable.

Being on a dive with an uncertified diver or a diver who is doing something that they aren't certified to do is unlikely to be the direct cause of any damages to them...unless maybe if I somehow push them into diving.

Cards don't mean much to me. the minimum requirements to become certified are, in my opinion, not sufficient to qualify a diver to dive under any conditions. Before I dive with an unfamiliar buddy a skill evaluation is going to be used to decide what kind of dive, if any, we are going to do. When I was an instructor I came across many CERTIFIED divers who I wold NOT take on any dive at all without remediation in pool like conditions.

One time, I had a husband and wife team who had just completed their AOW cert come to me for a nitrox course. They didn't even get a quarter of the way through the skill evaluation before I decided that I couldn't take them on any kind of a dive. They couldn't even descend without flopping around all over the place. We spent half the day just going over the most basic skills in very shallow water right near the shore before we could do any nitrox dives.

When I was an instructor and when I owned a dive shop, I was obligated to look at c-cards. I don't look at them any more.

One might advance the theory that a prudent and reasonable certified diver has a duty to not take someone who knows nothing about diving out on scuba.

Just because someone is not certified does not mean that they know nothing about diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom