Common Practice??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassyknoll
Certified = A known (and perhaps even acceptable) level of experince, ability and skill.

I've worked enough with tourists to know that this isn't correct. I have learned the hard way to never assume that a cert card indicates a level of experience. Watching people put their equipment together is a much better indication of experience.

Suess, I think we are saying the same thing (hence my disclaimer "perhaps even accebtable"). A cert means that the known part is that they sat in a classroom for at least one weekend, spent some time in a pool and were able to perform a few skills at least once. Sort of like having a driver's licence means you likely answered 70% or so of the questions correctly (maybe after failing 5 times), and were able to drive an evaluator around the block without hitting anything. Doesn't make you a comptent driver (or diver), just certified/licensed.

Just some thoughts on this subject:

First of all, it is not against the law to dive with out certification. It is not against the law to fill tanks or to sell gear to uncertified divers. Shop owners do this to cover thier butts with the insurance companies in case of a liability suit. In areas such as the Keys (and I am sure Hawaii is the same) there are people that grew up diving. They have been going to the same shops for years and new employees incorectly assume that they are certified.

Another issue is that the military trains many divers, but the military does not issue c-cards. Most military divers will seek a recreational certification, but not all.

By the way I will not give an air fill with out a c-card.... even if you are a conch that just retired from the SEALs. I cover my butt too.

trtldvr

www.divealive.org
trtldvr

trtldvr:
Just some thoughts on this subject:

..snip..

By the way I will not give an air fill with out a c-card.... even if you are a conch that just retired from the SEALs. I cover my butt too.

trtldvr

www.divealive.org
trtldvr

Just curious, would you give an air-fill with an expired c-card?
(My CMAS cards have expiry dates).

miketsp:

Honestly, I probably may not catch an expiration date, because I am not in the habbit of looking for one. I do applaud CMAS for having the cajones to not certify for life.

How long is the certification good for?

trtldvr

www.divealive.org

experation dates???????? expired C cards??????? never heard of that?????? do not see that on my Naui cards is this an urban legend??????????

One question and one comment. For the certifications that expire, do you have to take another training course to get it renewed, or do you just have to show proof of being an active diver for those 5 years?

As for getting air fills, it is really common around here for paintball competitors to have their own al80 or steel 72, or even the odd HP100 just for transfilling into their paintball cylinders. I guess it wouldn't be hard for these guys to order some regs/bc/suits off ebay or an online store and go diving.

miketsp:

I of course don't know how it works in Brasil but I suspect it being more or less the same, since all National diving federations that are a member of CMAS (including the brasilian CBPDS) have to adhere to certain standards.

On a CMAS card one face is the official CMAS card... it only shows CMAS and the level of certification (1 to 4 stars diver, 1 to 3 stars instructor). This side doesn't have any expiration dates on it and it shouldn't since CMAS certification does not expire (same as PADI, SSI, IANTD, etc)

However the other side of the card is the national diving federation side. This could show an expiration date. This however has normally nothing to do with CMAS but with how the national federation organises it's certification.

In Belgium the federation side will show an expiration date. However this expiration date just states that you are insured and have had a medical evaluation valid up until that time. It has nothing to do with any expiration of the certification itselve. If you would like to get 'outside' insurance (DAN for example), the expiration date would have no value whatsoever.

Cheers

beester:
I of course don't know how it works in Brasil but I suspect it being more or less the same, since all National diving federations that are a member of CMAS (including the brasilian CBPDS) have to adhere to certain standards.

On a CMAS card one face is the official CMAS card... it only shows CMAS and the level of certification (1 to 4 stars diver, 1 to 3 stars instructor). This side doesn't have any expiration dates on it and it shouldn't since CMAS certification does not expire (same as PADI, SSI, IANTD, etc)

However the other side of the card is the national diving federation side. This could show an expiration date. This however has normally nothing to do with CMAS but with how the national federation organises it's certification.

In Belgium the federation side will show an expiration date. However this expiration date just states that you are insured and have had a medical evaluation valid up until that time. It has nothing to do with any expiration of the certification itselve. If you would like to get 'outside' insurance (DAN for example), the expiration date would have no value whatsoever.

Cheers

It obviously varies from country to country.
The expiry date is embossed on the front of the card and the word "expiry" comes on the front of the blank card (supplied by CMAS) requiring that a date be filled in. The backside of my cards have no national content.

PS. I just checked with the confederation and it appears that since 2003 CMAS only requires Instructor level cards to have expiry dates (5 years). Other levels have an expiry date determined by each country confederation.

Attachments

• card2.jpg
    card2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 62
Thanks for the insight... strange that in Brasil there is an expiration date on the front of the card.

Regarding Instructor level expiration... This is also so in Belgium. (expiration every 5 years). Regarding the other levels... no expiration date whatsoever relating to the certification (yes on medical and insurance).

So does this mean that you will have to renew / requalify your certification every couple of years?

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom