Common Practice??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redrover:
:D

Hey...am I guilty of inadequate attention to detail or are you now not certified?
A certain segment of the Scubaboard considers it cool to have "None-Not Certified" in their profiles.

Not as uncommon as you'd like to think. Certified divers will get the needed equipment - air, regs, etc, - for their uncertified diving partners, or certain dive shops (especially one or two here in Hawaii!) will simply not ask to see your certification card.

Oh well. Accidents waiting to happen, I think.

I'm really surprised that many posters here think it is illegal to buy or own or use scuba equipment if you are not certified. Where is that written? I'm also surprised that they imply that you do/did something underhand or illegal to obtain this equipment. In my case, I NEVER had to show a card to buy anything, and it was all legal and above board. Some of my stuff was purchased from online scuba dealers. Other I bought new, and the rest I bought at my LDS where I was a student, but the salesperson was not in my class, so I'm not sure if they knew that or not. But the stuff I bought from the LDS wouldn't be considered something you need a cert for, even if you were mistaken that a cert was required (i.e., wetsuit, mask, dive bag, t-shirts, retractors, lights). I now own all my gear, except for a compressor, which will probably be my next major investment.

I took my AOW with a retired Navy Seal, and I'm sure he was a far better diver and could handle unusual circumstances better than the instructors and DMs. Befor he was certified, I would have dove with him, after making sure that we could communicate with hand signals - I suspect that the Navy may used some that are different from recreational divers. He was taking the course so he could dive with his certified wife on vacations.

I am not sure I had to present my C-card to rent equipment overseas, but I did have to send it to the trip organizer, and he may have forwareded it to the dive ops. I have had to turn my card over to the custody of the captain of liveaboards, to be returned when we returned.

I am not aware of any law that requires a skipper to required divers have a c-card, in the USA, since it's not required that they be certified. That said, I suspect it's prudent for them to, as this would help establish a "reasonable" care should anything happen. But, a diver simply not have a C-card would not be cause for criminal charges. Of course, anyone can sue anyone for anything here (USA) so civil charge don't have to be based on any law, regulation, or statue.

I think checking to see if you potential buddy is certified is only going half way. I would also want to know what kind of diving he has done, and how recent. A diver with a C-card that's 20 years old, and they haven't dove in 15 years, and then only in shallow warm water with great visibility isn't really too comforting if I'm planning on a cold, deep, near zero vis dive.

well personally i dont care, as long as i am not liable for him being an idiot...i wouldnt want him as a dive partner...if someone is stupid enough to go diving without proper education...screw them thats natural selection at work sorry to say it

A certain segment of the Scubaboard considers it cool to have "None-Not Certified" in their profiles.
Or maybe they just dont care to parttake in a ****flinging "i have more dives than you" pissing contest..

Well, I dove from 1967-1987 without a c-card. When I got married I was advised I would not be able to get on a boat at St. Thomas w/o a c-card. when I went on my honeymoon. I swapped a $5.00 pony bottle I picked up at a flea market and swapped it to an instructor for my OW card. He made me take the written test which I aced because I had been a self-taught student of dive physics, etc. for many years as it was my passion. I don't feel the instructor did wrong certifying me as he had dove with me and knew how I dove and also because I did very well on his test. The only scuba police are the dive shops and skippers who are trying to keep from being sued in this litigious age.
FWIW I am a police officer and investigate water related deaths on a very regular basis. Even have a c-card or two that says I am a certified underwater criminal investigator, for what that's worth. Catherine and Thalassamania are right that they can tell me to pound sand if I questioned them about a scuba related death. But they wouldn't because I am very nice and professional in my approach with folks and treat them right. You always catch more flies with honey.....The only folks that get the rubber hose treatment are those diving surface supplied rigs. Bad joke-Sorry. Anyway deaths are investigated to find out the facts and determine the cause of the deaths. Not having a c-card may or may not be a factor in a death but it is not something you can expect criminal sanctions for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom