Common Practice??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From my experience, I would say it is a lot more common than many people realize. I'm aware of a couple of dozen people who dive with no training or certification. I have no doubt that there are many, many more that I'm not aware of.

I took a Dive class in 1973 in college. For about 10 years I did occasional dives but never got certified. The sport, world and I had changed so much that when I returned to the sport in 2001 there was no way I could have dived without a certification. In my experiences since then, I think it hard for a non-diver to get started without a certification in my part of the country. On the warm water coast, however, I suspect it is not uncommon.

TSandM:
The fellow whose name is on my OW card dove for three years before he got certified. I can see how you could do it -- I've never been asked for my C-card to get a fill, just to get on a boat.
Hmm.. Ive never been aksed for a card to do a fill. That said, out of the 5 places ive had my tanks filled, 2 of them knew me since one was at the scuba club where i got certified and the DM that was assisting on our ow class was the one that opened the door on the 2nd.
The last 3 however didnt say a thing about c-cards when I came to fill my tanks. 2 of them didnt look much at my tank but just asked me "when was the tank last tested".. Since the tank isnt 2 years old, the first tests arent due yet either tho (Every year, but first after 2 years here).
They ARE supposed to check cards and tanks before they fill and deny a fill If I cant show it to them, but I could very well dive without a c-card here if I had been able to get the gear.
I do have a couple of aqaintances(spelling?) that has been diving every now and then without being certified, but one of them got his card this spring I think..

So no, not impossible, not uncommon, but not common either..

My first lesson for diving was given by my friend who had no C-Card. He had dived a few times with a group of people that also lacked formal training. We had only one set of equipment and he simply told me what to do, and sent me on my way. I had a great time! That was many years ago, I am not saying that is a smart thing to do, but I know a lot of people who did the same without an accident. P.S. I did get my C-Card
so I could do it the correct way.

Your comments have made me change my mind. I no longer think that not possessing a C card is necessarily a safety issue.

Actually, now that I think of it, when I dove with one operator on Oahu this past January no one asked me for my C card either. The other one, with which I did most of my diving, did.

Dive operations ask for c-cards for liability reasons.

ArcticDiver:
Your comments have made me change my mind.
Definitely a first here on Scubaboard.:11:

grassyknoll:
Not being certified = Unknown level of experience, ability or skill.

I agree with you on this. (Unknown does not mean unqualified or inexperienced!)

grassyknoll:
Certified = A known (and perhaps even acceptable) level of experince, ability and skill.

I've worked enough with tourists to know that this isn't correct. I have learned the hard way to never assume that a cert card indicates a level of experience. Watching people put their equipment together is a much better indication of experience.

The big (only?) reason for the card is to limit the liability of the people providing services to the diver.

It amazes me how many people have never been carded for dives or even tank rentals...I don't have a bunch of experience, but I have been carded every place I have been! Except the place I got my cert.

Every dive shop in the Panama city area that I've delt with has asked for a c card and checked tanks for in date Hydro/VIP. also date of Mfg on AL's

That would include Diver's Den, Dixie divers, Dive Locker, and Vortex Springs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom