Common Practice??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beester:
..snip..
So does this mean that you will have to renew / requalify your certification every couple of years?

Cheers

Fortunately I now have a selection of other cards to flash so I never had to renew this one. :wink:

i dont find it hard to believe, but there are uncertified people out there diving. i just wonder how some of them get the equipment and air fills. i have met some commerical diver that went to a school i will leave unnamed, but at graduation they get a NAUI master scuba diver card. they did do some diving in the school, and learn well beyond the theroy that you get in a OW class, but are they really a MASTER DIVER. i met one guy from that same school who couldn't tell how much air pressure his tank could hold. some of the old school diver who ventured into some of the tech. diving did this without a Card, but they did it at least knowing what could happen, and because of that all the new tech divers are getting good training and are better divers because of it. i guess it is all on who you know and where you go.

It seems to me that if he is going to Hawaii and diving with a DM, he's one of those never-ending "Discover Scuba" divers. I've met people like that: they never get certified but "Discover Scuba" on every vacation.

This thread brings up a curious thought as to how many times you may have been diving with a buddy you met on the boat who may not be certified. I know it would be taboo to ask to see a C card on the boat, it is assumed everyone their is certified. But assuming has killed more than one of us. What are your thoughts? Would you dive with someone who was not cert. and you knew it? I am not sure what I would do, though the situation would not likely arise.

emcbride81:
But assuming has killed more than one of us. What are your thoughts? Would you dive with someone who was not cert. and you knew it? I am not sure what I would do, though the situation would not likely arise.

Absolutely now. How could they be a good buddy if they don't know the rules?

I prefer diving with someone who has similar diving experience and equipment. I don't like insta-buddies.

trtldvr:
Just some thoughts on this subject:

Another issue is that the military trains many divers, but the military does not issue c-cards. Most military divers will seek a recreational certification, but not all.

trtldvr

www.divealive.org
trtldvr

I was in the military and was trained on numerous systems from tri-mix closed rebreathers to bail-out tanks to basic single air. I did many dives in the service, but never recieved a c-card. I finally got one in 05 because I wouldn't be allowed to dive with out it. For me the class was boring and repeditive, but that is just me and mostly due to my background.

I agree that with a c-card, there is at least some fore knowledge that the person could pass some basic requirements and give the DM's a warmer feeling (Maybe not).

I was in Zihuatanejo, Mexico earlier this year. Got to a dive shop and got on a dive boat with my buddy and 2 other divers. As we were gearing up, the other 2 divers asked me if we were going to need to do decompression since they have never been to 90 feet before. Hm...I started getting suspicious.

Turns out that the came to the dive shop and have done resort "discover scuba" type dives before but told the dive operator that they were not certified and was answered with a "do you want to dive?" question. They reiterated that they were not certified and got the same reply. I only found out after the days diving.

I've noticed in several dive shops, I was never asked to show my certification card.

So I don't think it's that uncommon to see uncertified divers diving.

Scuba is a relatively safe sport given the amount of dives and mistakes made that don't end up as tragedies.

We have many, many divers in Hawaii that are not cerified and never will be.

if you grow up here, stalking fish from grade school, you don't just wake up one day and say "I think I'll spend 400 dollars to do what I am already doing" when you pay 7 dollars for your kids milk.

Air is not an issue for locals, they are all connected.

People here don't even have trouble getting auto safety inspections--everybody knows somebody where you drop off the paperwork.

If you care if somebody has insurance..you better actually check yourself.

I know guys who drive trucks professionally (doing deliveries) who don't have DL's and so can't get into our neighborhood. Hawaii has a lot of laws, almost no enforcement of anything, unless you make somebody mad and get targeted.

Just remember that ultimately each diver's safety and survival lies with that individual diver. Also, that, as evidenced by other threads, each diver has a little bit different idea on what they are willing to do in an emergency.

It is interesting that most of the deep and long exploration ends up with a solo diver at the pointy end of the stick. Lots of logistical support, including "safety divers" in many cases. But, the actual dive is solo.

I am an enthusiastic supporter of Team Diving in its' different flavors. I prefer Team Diving. It is more fun to be able to practice skills and to share dives with someone else. But, ultimately my personal safety lies with me. The other diver's lies with them. I will help all I can. But, in the end it is with the individual.

If I was not comfortable doing the proposed dive solo I would not do it with an unknown partner. For that matter; I would not do it with a known partner.

Most of the time we look only at the positives of a buddy team and ignore the negatives. More divers gives you more resources to solve a problem. But, it also gives you more chances for something to go wrong or a mistake to be made.

Back
Top Bottom