Common Practice??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The issue is a "knowledge" problem. If a person wants to dive but has no certification, how do I know if it is safe for them to get in the water and dive. The mere fact of a certification does not solve the problem. It simply reduces the universe of unknown quantities. If I do not dive with divers without certifications I will never have to explain why I was diving with a diver without a certification. That solves my legal, ethical and personal issues about that subject.

CoralSeaMan:
The issue is a "knowledge" problem. If a person wants to dive but has no certification, how do I know if it is safe for them to get in the water and dive. The mere fact of a certification does not solve the problem. It simply reduces the universe of unknown quantities. If I do not dive with divers without certifications I will never have to explain why I was diving with a diver without a certification. That solves my legal, ethical and personal issues about that subject.
If a person wants to dive but has a certification, how do I know if it is safe for them to get in the water and dive?

Thalassamania:
If a person wants to dive but has a certification, how do I know if it is safe for them to get in the water and dive?

You may not. But at least you won't have to explain why you diving with someone who had no certification.

CoralSeaMan:
You may not. But at least you won't have to explain why you diving with someone who had no certification.
Why and to whom would I have to explain? I am an Instrucor and thus dive with uncertified people most of the time.

Thalassamania:
Why and to whom would I have to explain? I am an Instrucor and thus dive with uncertified people most of the time.
Im quite sure you have to explain to the police for a start if your buddy ends up dead. Regardless of your own cert. level...

really?

I think not...

I don't understand where you could even begin to come up with this.

IF you are correct, this is exactly why I am against the buddy system. ... Because the government cannot limit themsleves in any way and it is all one big overreaching goatrope.

(sorry, just came from a government office) Time for a tea party

catherine96821:
really?

I think not...

I don't understand where you could even begin to come up with this.

IF you are correct, this is exactly why I am against the buddy system. ... Because the government cannot limit themsleves in any way and it is all one big overreaching goatrope.

(sorry, just came from a government office) Time for a tea party
Is that a reply to me or to someone else?
If its to me, lets just say that everytime someone ends up dead here, for whatever reason, SOP is cops come and take statements and interviews from everyone thats involved or witnesses..

really? I've been around people who died and thats never happened to me

I'm sure it would if they needed the answer to a question...but me being legally responsible that someone else has current legal cerification to dive is just ridiculous. ITS NOT ILLEGAL in the first place. Last I checked the United States was still a free country, to some degree.

yes...to you. I am asking where you get this idea.

I already told you "where I get this idea". If the cops in Hawaii is sloppy, well hooray for you...

Tigerman:
Im quite sure you have to explain to the police for a start if your buddy ends up dead. Regardless of your own cert. level...
Be as sure as you want, your wrong on several counts.

No one has to explain anything to the police unless they suspect foul play and then, in point of fact, the suspect only have to explain it to a Grand Jury unless the suspect chooses to stand behind his or her Fifth Amendment right to not incriminate them self. That's the way it works in the USA.

Tigerman:
I already told you "where I get this idea". If the cops in Hawaii is sloppy, well hooray for you...
The cops in Hawaii are not sloppy, but I think that we'd find the cops in Norway overbearing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom