coming to the big island on friday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cudabait

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Coming to the Big Island on Friday for a week. Right now we plan to dive with Kona Honu dive. A couple of things....how's the Manta dive and the op in general? We are certainly low maintenance folks. Also, could someone in the area let us know the water temps and a suggestion on wetsuit. We're thinking maybe 3mm or 5mm jump with hood or beanie. Thanks in advance.

Regards,:D

The manta dive's hopping right now, 12 mantas a night the last several nights, with 24 on halloween night. Look for water temps in the 79-80 range (although we had a huge south swell this weekend so it may have bumped up a degree or so). Most guys will do fine in a 3 mil full. Petite women might want a 5 mil, or at least a hood/beanie and a 3 mil full for multiple dives. The manta dive itself can be a bit cooler because you'll spend most of the dive on your knees or rump rather than swimming. 5 mil will work for everyone without being too hot.

Have fun,

Kona Honu is a good boat. Been on the boat two seperate years and enjoyed them both.

I did two Manta dives a month ago. During the day the temps were 81, while at night they were 78 degrees. I wore a 3mm full with 2mm reef gloves and a beenie. You may want the extra exposure protection, especially if the Undulated Moray comes out to play. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom