Diving recommendations for Hawaii (big island)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done about 12 days of diving with Kona Honu, and both the diving and the crew have always been exceptionally good.

Do you have any opinion about Kona Shore Divers for diving Puako?
I haven't used Kona Shore Divers but I went in their shop a couple days ago and the guy was quite friendly and knew his stuff.

In Hilo, the man to see is Bill DeRooy at the Nautilus Dive Center. He's been here for ages and he knows. :diveflag50h:

Do you have any opinion about Kona Shore Divers for diving Puako?
Talk to Blue Wilderness about shore diving Puako they run out of the general store on Puako Rd. We shore dive there a fair amount and never use a guide as the sites are easy to navigate. Blue wilderness gave me a map of the area a few years ago.

Talk to Blue Wilderness about shore diving Puako they run out of the general store on Puako Rd. We shore dive there a fair amount and never use a guide as the sites are easy to navigate. Blue wilderness gave me a map of the area a few years ago.
Will do, many thanks for the suggestion..

Will do, many thanks for the suggestion..
If you shore dive Puako other than at "Village End", I strongly recommend marking your point of entrance somehow, maybe by placing a bright T-shirt on a tree branch or something like this. Also, check tide schedule before you go. Of all places, Puako is the one you should go at high tide. Not that tides matter for the dive itself but if on your way in or out you stray away into the shallows in low tide, you'll be in trouble.

I have been to Kona three times with family members. We have used Kona Diving Company for all our dives. Great people, good gear, friendly service. The manta night dive is an experience not to be missed.

In Hilo, the man to see is Bill DeRooy at the Nautilus Dive Center. He's been here for ages and he knows.

Sadly, Bill closed the doors and Nautilus Dive Center is out of business.

Sadly, Bill closed the doors and Nautilus Dive Center is out of business.
That sucks always enjoyed diving with Bill. I know he was wanting to sell the shop the last time we dove with him before the pandemic.

Okay everyone, I am new to this site, so hope I am not breaking any rules by asking this. My wife, myself & 2 daughters (23 & 25) are all going to the big island in December for a 9 day vacation (arrive 21st and leave on the 30th) we will be just south of Kailua-Kona, it will be our first time diving in this area, we are all advanced padi rated and nitrox rated, have been diving 15+ years (that includes the kids!!) so quite experienced. As we haven’t been to this area before, I was hoping some of you might be able to recommend good dive sites or dive charter companies to go with (We love to shore dive or boat dive, hoping to do both). As this is in December, I have no idea what side of the island would be best to dive, so all and any recommendations would be greatly appreciate. We all have our own gear, just need to rent bottles and weights.. we where intending to use 3mm full wet suits (no hoods), what kind of water temps should we expect?
regards Gary
Shore diving on the Big Island is more challenging than Maui, but the boat diving is way better. I have used all of the operators in Kona, and they are similar, and depending on who is actually on the boat with you, usually pretty good. If you like sharks, the 90' deep buoy in front of the harbor often has tiger sharks, so if your operator takes you just outside the harbor they are not just trying to save gas :) . Also if you are on the Kohala coast, Kohala divers in the small marina at Kawaihae is good, no need to drive down to Kona. The boat dive plus is during whale season you will see whales on your surface interval, and that is lovely and exciting.

For shore diving my first dives ever (DSDs), and then a year later my OW checkout dives, were at Two Step just outside of Place of Refuge National Monument near Captain Cook. Fairly easy entry, and plenty to see. In Kohala, Puako has decent shore diving but watch out for the surf. My wife and I have had two tough experiences there where things were very different on surfacing than they were going in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom