Diving recommendations for Hawaii (big island)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thrasherg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay everyone, I am new to this site, so hope I am not breaking any rules by asking this. My wife, myself & 2 daughters (23 & 25) are all going to the big island in December for a 9 day vacation (arrive 21st and leave on the 30th) we will be just south of Kailua-Kona, it will be our first time diving in this area, we are all advanced padi rated and nitrox rated, have been diving 15+ years (that includes the kids!!) so quite experienced. As we haven’t been to this area before, I was hoping some of you might be able to recommend good dive sites or dive charter companies to go with (We love to shore dive or boat dive, hoping to do both). As this is in December, I have no idea what side of the island would be best to dive, so all and any recommendations would be greatly appreciate. We all have our own gear, just need to rent bottles and weights.. we where intending to use 3mm full wet suits (no hoods), what kind of water temps should we expect?
regards Gary

Check out Kona Honu Divers for both cylinder and weight rentals as well as charters. They also have some good info on shore diving sites under the "Rental" tab on their web page. We've dove with them and rented tanks from them several times and have always been happy with the service.

I just realized that I didn't answer your other questions. Regarding water temperature, you can probabley expect the upper 70s in late December. I normally wear a 3mm wetsuit with a hooded vest underneath it December through April in Hawaii. Depending on how cold sensitive you all are, a 3mm alone may suffice, but it may be good to have some extra layers available.

You'll find that most of the diving on the big island is on the Kona side -- not too much on the Hilo side. Depending on the swell and wind, some sites are more appropriate each day -- it's best to check with one of the shops to see where is good in the current conditions.

We loved doing the manta night dive too ... it's perhaps controversial but it has an interesting history (manta's coming for the airport lights I think). We have fond memories of being so close to those amazing creatures.

I think there is plenty of good shore diving too.

+1 for Kona Honu, great folks and you'll be well taken care of (also a DRYFOB reseller if you are planning to shore dive and need a container for your rental car key :).). See some of their amazing pictures here : Pictures of Kona Diving, Hawaii | Kona Honu Divers

We did Kona in February, and all of our planned dives got blown out (3 days/6 dives)

Booked with Kona Honu, and they were incredibly responsive and quickly refunded after each day of cancelled diving.

Snorkeled all over Kona, and enjoyed it very much. Captain Cook, Two Step, Hilo (behind airport), Pahoa (Kehana Beach 🤩) Lots of turtles, a few eagle rays, tons of fish and hard corals.

Not sure what else you have on the agenda, but we really enjoyed Volcano National Park, the drive down to Southernmost point, kayak whale watching and coffee/chocolate farm tours.

Make sure you eat about 37 Malasada from every roadside stand you pass!

If your trip is like ours, every restaurant and activity will be very busy- make reservations well before if you can. Be patient and kind, many of the restaurants/resorts/tour companies are short staffed and deal with angry tourists all day- we found that our patience and kindness was rewarded.

One of the top 3 meals of my life was at Canoe House in the Mauna Lani resort- excellent food, service, views and stunning resort property.

Enjoy!

Depending on your comfort level on diving/snorkeling on your own, you have a good chance of seeing mantas at night in front of Sheraton Hotel (easy entry from adjacent boat ramp, bring bright lights) and dolphins in the bay next to the Captain Cook monument south of Kona.

Aside from diving don't miss the volcano...One of the best experiences i have had was seeing lava flowing from vents at night. May not be possible depending on the level of volcanic activity. Either way the national park is worth checking out.

I highly recommend the Big Island Revealed guide book. Lots of great tips for seeing very cool stuff off the beaten path.

Have fun!

Check out Jack's Dive Locker
They are a great outfit and have really good pricing. I did a couple shore dives at 2 Step about 40 minutes south of Kailua-Kona. That spot is great for snorkeling and diving. Bring thin gloves to protect your fingers from an accidental prick from the tiny urchins living in the lava rock there.

We were there about a month ago and were very impressed with Kona Diving Company. Great crew and nice boat accommodations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom